[News] The Truly Open Phone is a Reality, OpenMono is Coming - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] The Truly Open Phone is a Reality, OpenMono is Coming - Linux ; OpenMoko to unveil second open source handset in March-April ,----[ Quote ] | In addition to pushing sales of its open source handsets, OpenMoko will also | engage in the production of hardware devices in cooperation with device | vendors, ...

  1. [News] The Truly Open Phone is a Reality, OpenMono is Coming

    OpenMoko to unveil second open source handset in March-April

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In addition to pushing sales of its open source handsets, OpenMoko will also
    | engage in the production of hardware devices in cooperation with device
    | vendors, leveraging on OpenMoko's platform solutions and manufacturing
    | capability, Moss-Pultz said.
    `----

    http://www.digitimes.com/telecom/a20080218PD213.html

    Recent:

    Interview with Michael Shiloh, of OpenMoko

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I’m the advocate for the community within the company, and the advocate for
    | the company within the community. It’s a bit hard to describe, but I try to
    | make sure information, questions, and issues flow as freely as possible
    | between the two. *
    `----

    http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/blog/2...h-of-openmoko/

    Interview with Sean Moss-Pultz, CEO of OpenMoko - Ninjas *ARE* Better Than
    Pirates

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | He’s got some pretty interesting answers to questions plaguing geeks and
    | non-geeks alike, such as the eternal debate on which is better - Ninjas or
    | Pirates? Keep reading for some candid responses from the CEO of the company
    | behind the Dash Express GPS device and the in-development OpenMoko phone.
    | Dash was recently named one of the top 10 startup companies to watch in 2008
    | by Wired Magazine... * *
    `----

    http://www.fsckin.com/2008/01/20/int...-than-pirates/

    Related:

    OpenMoko Signs Deal With German Distributor Pulster

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The agreement comes fresh on the heels of Openmoko's announcement that it has
    | become an independent subsidiary of Taiwan powerhouse, FIC. Pulster
    | specializes in online sales of mobile devices, selling into the industrial
    | and education markets with focus on Linux-based solutions. *
    `----

    http://www.pr-inside.com/openmoko-si...or-r384865.htm

    OpenMoko FreeRunner: a win for phone freedom

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | OpenMoko has revealed additional details about the upcoming second generation
    | of the company's open-source smartphone. OpenMoko, which spun off of FIC last
    | year, aims to create a unique, Linux-based mobile phone that can easily be
    | modified, improved, and repurposed by individual users. *
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...e-freedom.html

    OpenMoko To Unveil Open Source Smartphone

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Neo FreeRunner is expected to feature a 2.8-inch VGA touch screen, A-GPS
    | for location and navigation, and "push" e-mail similar to the BlackBerry. *
    `----

    OpenMoko prepping to push sales of Linux-based handset

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | OpenMoko, a Linux-based open source handset platform developer, is pushing
    | the development of Linux-based smartphone with its open source handset, the
    | Neo 1973, which may be available to the mass-market in the second half of
    | 2008, according to company sources. *
    `----

    http://www.digitimes.com/telecom/a20071116PD213.html

    Android vs. OpenMoko: Who Will Win?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Last week Google announced Android, which is the newest open-source mobile
    | phone platform. Google is not the only company behind Android but several
    | companies make up the Open Handset Alliance. *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Meanwhile, the open-source mobile platform known to many GNU/Linux users,
    | OpenMoko, hasn't kicked up nearly as much mainstream media attention. Both
    | OpenMoko and Android leverage the power of the Linux kernel and other
    | open-source projects to provide a free software platform for mobile devices. *
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjE5Mg

    Enlightenment Desktop UI running on the Neo1973

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Another UI video has surfaced showing E17 enlightenment running the the
    | Neo1973.
    `----

    http://mobilemoko.net/2007/enlighten...n-the-neo1973/

    OpenMoko Developer Preview Sold Out After Unexpected Demand

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | OpenMoko, the first Open Source cell phone, has sold out the entire planned
    | production run for the device's developer preview after unexpected demand.
    `----

    http://technocrat.net/d/2007/8/6/24279

    iPhone matures the "free your phone" movement

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.mobiliberty.com/iphone_ma...phone_movement

    OpenMoko Developer Preview Sold Out After Unexpected Demand

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | OpenMoko, the first Open Source cell phone, has sold out the entire planned
    | production run for the device's developer preview after unexpected demand.
    `----

    http://technocrat.net/d/2007/8/6/24279

    iPhone matures the "free your phone" movement

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This is why FreeTheIPhone.org project is born, but even better, why OpenMoko
    | project exists. While some are trying to free the locked down device, others
    | are creating a free unlocked device from the start, and a whole software
    | framework to go with it. *
    `----

    http://www.mobiliberty.com/iphone_ma...phone_movement

  2. Re: [News] The Truly Open Phone is a Reality, OpenMono is Coming

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > OpenMoko to unveil second open source handset in March-April
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| In addition to pushing sales of its open source handsets, OpenMoko will also
    >| engage in the production of hardware devices in cooperation with device
    >| vendors, leveraging on OpenMoko's platform solutions and manufacturing
    >| capability, Moss-Pultz said.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.digitimes.com/telecom/a20080218PD213.html

    A truly open phone platform would irrevocably change the whole mobility
    model...