ODF and binary data--why do you ignore it, Roy? - Linux

This is a discussion on ODF and binary data--why do you ignore it, Roy? - Linux ; Jesper Lund Stocholm writes: > Moshe Goldfarb wrote in > news:9iedkyors17z.xagucxqxelxi$.dlg@40tude.net: > >>> Please provide them. It is true that OOXML allows storing printer >>> specific data in the file. These are naturally platform specific, but >>> they are not ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 81 to 86 of 86

  1. Re: ODF and binary data--why do you ignore it, Roy?

    Jesper Lund Stocholm writes:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote in
    >
    >>> Please provide them. It is true that OOXML allows storing printer
    >>> specific data in the file. These are naturally platform specific, but
    >>> they are not Windows-only.

    >> With all due respect Mr. Stocholm, you are trying to get complex
    >> information from an idiot, Roy Schestowitz.

    > Well, I think it is important to get people to realize that a lot of the
    > crititism of OOXML is not fact-based or (at least) dramatically taken out
    > of context (e.g. the "SharePoint-tags"). There /are/ a lot of things to
    > duly critizise in OOXML from the initial submission - Denmark has 168 of
    > them, effectively being, I think, in Top-3 of comment #. That is why
    > Denmark votes "No, with comments" to DIS 29500 in September 2007. But it
    > is also important to note that these complaints Denmark and the rest of
    > the countries had are being dealt with by ECMA, ISO/IEC and the assembly
    > at the BRM in Geneva.
    >
    > Now, I have noticed that the "tone" in this group can be quite harsh but
    > it is my experience that the point I am trying to make about OOXML is
    > better heard with insistingly supplying the technical information
    > (regardless of the interest- or technical capabilities of the poster)
    > than with name-calling.
    >
    > )
    >
    > The BRM in Geneva is the last chance we have to improve the DIS so I am
    > very interested in hearing any new concerns about OOXML and its technical
    > merits. But please - provide correct information to avoid wasting our
    > time. I have said this over and over again - it is not rocket science.
    > All it takes is to sit down, concentrate and read the text.

    Some chance of that. Roy knows nothing about it and has no desire
    to. Take the time to listen to the podcast linked in another post and
    who will quickly realise you are talking to a zealot who has an anti MS
    agenda. You would be wasting your time debating with him. Try another
    COLA poster, "7" - he is the OOXML expert here. He uses an "Appil" or
    something so is not anti everything "not Linux".

  2. Re: ODF and binary data--why do you ignore it, Roy?

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 00:31:45 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Jesper Lund Stocholm writes:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote in

    >>> With all due respect Mr. Stocholm, you are trying to get complex
    >>> information from an idiot, Roy Schestowitz.

    >> Well, I think it is important to get people to realize that a lot of the
    >> crititism of OOXML is not fact-based or (at least) dramatically taken out
    >> of context (e.g. the "SharePoint-tags"). There /are/ a lot of things to
    >> duly critizise in OOXML from the initial submission - Denmark has 168 of
    >> them, effectively being, I think, in Top-3 of comment #. That is why
    >> Denmark votes "No, with comments" to DIS 29500 in September 2007. But it
    >> is also important to note that these complaints Denmark and the rest of
    >> the countries had are being dealt with by ECMA, ISO/IEC and the assembly
    >> at the BRM in Geneva.
    >>
    >> Now, I have noticed that the "tone" in this group can be quite harsh but
    >> it is my experience that the point I am trying to make about OOXML is
    >> better heard with insistingly supplying the technical information
    >> (regardless of the interest- or technical capabilities of the poster)
    >> than with name-calling.
    >>
    >> )
    >>
    >> The BRM in Geneva is the last chance we have to improve the DIS so I am
    >> very interested in hearing any new concerns about OOXML and its technical
    >> merits. But please - provide correct information to avoid wasting our
    >> time. I have said this over and over again - it is not rocket science.
    >> All it takes is to sit down, concentrate and read the text.

    > Some chance of that. Roy knows nothing about it and has no desire
    > to. Take the time to listen to the podcast linked in another post and
    > who will quickly realise you are talking to a zealot who has an anti MS
    > agenda. You would be wasting your time debating with him. Try another
    > COLA poster, "7" - he is the OOXML expert here. He uses an "Appil" or
    > something so is not anti everything "not Linux".

    I'd love to hear 7 via podcast.
    I wonder if he speaks like he writes.

    Reminds me of Archie Bunker from the TV show "All In The Family".

    It's time for me to visit my 'groin-a-cologist'
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: ODF and binary data--why do you ignore it, Roy?

    On Feb 22, 11:08 pm, Linonut wrote:
    > It saysGnumericsupports it. So I installGnumeric(1.6.3) from Debian
    > unstable, and run it. I try to save as, and I don't find any "Open XML"
    > format. I see CSV, DIF,GnumericXML, three HTML formats, LaTeX,
    > Microsoft 95/97/2000/XP, OpenOffice OASIS_UNFINISHED, Troff, text, and
    > XHTML.

    MOOX support (import and some export) was added during the 1.7.x
    development phase. The first stable release with it was 1.8.0. The
    id is 'MS Office (tm) 2007'. There is a similar level of support for
    ODF which we call OpenOffice.org Calc.

  4. Re: ODF and binary data--why do you ignore it, Roy?

    On Feb 26, 2:49*am, Jesper Lund Stocholm
    wrote:
    > Tom Shelton wrote innews:e2ab387f-033d-4e8e-aa32-b1e2af973c34@s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com:
    >

    > > On Feb 25, 12:34*am, Jesper Lund Stocholm
    > > wrote:
    > >> Tom Shelton wrote
    > >> innews:7519ea72-a579-46ee-b4ff

    > > -870ddb9ca...@i7g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

    > >> How would you embed another application in a file? OOXML is a
    > >> document format - not an application or platform.

    > > links to other applications - or activex controls.

    > Exactly - but that is not the same as "embedding another application".

    Links to applications isn't exactly the same, since that is going to
    use automation to find the client application. But sometimes, at
    least in the old days (I haven't looked at this in quite a while) - AX
    controls were packaged inside of documents...

    > Where can you embed ActiveX-controls in OOXML?

    I assume were you put binary data. I could be wrong.

    --
    Tom Shelton

  5. Re: ODF and binary data--why do you ignore it, Roy?

    * JodyGnumeric peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Feb 22, 11:08 pm, Linonut wrote:
    >> It saysGnumericsupports it. So I installGnumeric(1.6.3) from Debian
    >> unstable, and run it. I try to save as, and I don't find any "Open XML"
    >> format. I see CSV, DIF,GnumericXML, three HTML formats, LaTeX,
    >> Microsoft 95/97/2000/XP, OpenOffice OASIS_UNFINISHED, Troff, text, and
    >> XHTML.

    > MOOX support (import and some export) was added during the 1.7.x
    > development phase. The first stable release with it was 1.8.0. The
    > id is 'MS Office (tm) 2007'. There is a similar level of support for
    > ODF which we call OpenOffice.org Calc.

    So does Gnumeric implement DIS-29500, or the Microsoft Office 2007
    format?

    (Thanks for the info, by the way. So far, at work we don't yet have to
    deal with MSO 2007.)

    --
    We always overestimate the change that will occur in the next two years and
    underestimate the change that will occur in the next ten. Don't let yourself

  6. Re: ODF and binary data--why do you ignore it, Roy?

    On Feb 27, 8:09 am, Linonut wrote:
    > * JodyGnumeric peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    > > On Feb 22, 11:08 pm, Linonut wrote:
    > >> It saysGnumericsupports it. So I installGnumeric(1.6.3) from Debian
    > >> unstable, and run it. I try to save as, and I don't find any "Open XML"
    > >> format. I see CSV, DIF,GnumericXML, three HTML formats, LaTeX,
    > >> Microsoft 95/97/2000/XP, OpenOffice OASIS_UNFINISHED, Troff, text, and
    > >> XHTML.

    > > MOOX support (import and some export) was added during the 1.7.x
    > > development phase. The first stable release with it was 1.8.0. The
    > > id is 'MS Office (tm) 2007'. There is a similar level of support for
    > > ODF which we call OpenOffice.org Calc.

    > So doesGnumericimplement DIS-29500, or the Microsoft Office 2007
    > format?

    A difference without a distinction at this point. I have not hit a
    situation where Excel2007 generated something different than th ECMA
    docs.
    The name was chosen to as the one most likely to be familiar to
    someone trying to get some work done. It might make some sense to add
    'MOOX' and 'ODF' to the labels to avoid situations like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5