Linux market share: 85% - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux market share: 85% - Linux ; http://www.top500.org/stats/list/30/osfam Funny how Linux is the absolute number one choice in places where top performance is required, and people know a bit or two about computers. Richard Rasker -- http://www.linetec.nl/...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 53

  1. Linux market share: 85%

    --
    http://www.linetec.nl/

  2. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    On Feb 18, 10:22 am, Richard Rasker wrote:
    > http://www.top500.org/stats/list/30/osfam
    >
    > Funny how Linux is the absolute number one choice in places where top
    > performance is required, and people know a bit or two about computers.

    It's almost 92% (and rising steadily) if you count virtualisation.
    Microsoft is at the moment trying to get a piggyback ride into HPC
    using Novell's SUSE. Microsoft will probably reach bankruptcy before
    it manages to cross the 3% market share barrier though.

  3. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Microsoft will probably reach bankruptcy before
    > it manages to cross the 3% market share barrier though.

    More likely it will survive in some form, but will be practically out of
    the OS business.

  4. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    * Richard Rasker peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > http://www.top500.org/stats/list/30/osfam
    >
    > Funny how Linux is the absolute number one choice in places where top
    > performance is required, and people know a bit or two about computers.

    That's not market share, Richard. Doesn't count .

    But even Dell is in this market, looking a little bigger than Cray:

    http://www.top500.org/charts (11/2007, Vendors)

    --
    It is much more secure to be feared than to be loved.
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

  5. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    ____/ Matt on Monday 18 February 2008 12:33 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Microsoft will probably reach bankruptcy before
    >> it manages to cross the 3% market share barrier though.

    > More likely it will survive in some form, but will be practically out of
    > the OS business.

    It's far from profitable in all divisions apart from a couple (ref at bottom).
    It's filing for software patents like mad at the moment. Thy name is SCO 2.0.

    __
    Raikes Steps Aside

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    http://tinyurl.com/34mq2a

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Get the most out of your hardware. Get Linux.

  6. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > ____/ Matt on Monday 18 February 2008 12:33 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Microsoft will probably reach bankruptcy before
    >>> it manages to cross the 3% market share barrier though.

    >> More likely it will survive in some form, but will be practically out of
    >> the OS business.

    > It's far from profitable in all divisions apart from a couple (ref at bottom).
    > It's filing for software patents like mad at the moment. Thy name is SCO 2.0.

    Hmmm ... don't call me "SCO 2.0".

  7. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    Matt wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Microsoft will probably reach bankruptcy before
    >> it manages to cross the 3% market share barrier though.

    You'll be bankrupt long before MS.

    > More likely it will survive in some form, but will be practically out
    > of the OS business.

    Did a little blue bird land on your shoulder and tell you this?

  8. Re: John Deere market share in farm equipment: 85%

    On Feb 18, 5:22*am, Richard Rasker wrote:
    > http://www.top500.org/stats/list/30/osfam
    >
    > Funny how Linux is the absolute number one choice in places where top
    > performance is required, and people know a bit or two about computers.

    Who cares. Name a single household that runs a supercomputer?
    Different equipment, different market, different target consumer.
    Maybe what... 5 or 6 supercomputers are sold a year compared to 10's
    of millions of desktops. Hardly a win worth caring about?

    > Richard Rasker
    > --http://www.linetec.nl/

  9. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    Richard Rasker wrote:
    > http://www.top500.org/stats/list/30/osfam
    >
    > Funny how Linux is the absolute number one choice in places where top
    > performance is required, and people know a bit or two about computers.

    Linux is also the absolute number one choice in places where no household
    income is required, and people don't know 2 bits about writing good
    software.

  10. Re: John Deere market share in farm equipment: 85%

    Johnny Rocket wrote:

    > On Feb 18, 5:22*am, Richard Rasker wrote:
    >> http://www.top500.org/stats/list/30/osfam
    >>
    >> Funny how Linux is the absolute number one choice in places where top
    >> performance is required, and people know a bit or two about computers.

    > Who cares. Name a single household that runs a supercomputer?
    > Different equipment, different market, different target consumer.
    > Maybe what... 5 or 6 supercomputers are sold a year compared to 10's
    > of millions of desktops. Hardly a win worth caring about?

    Yet the resident group of cretins (like you, flatfish, Hadron Quark,
    raylopez or DFS) constantly claim that linux is crappy, hobbyist software.

    Strange then that this "garbage" runs nearly all supercomputers, yet
    the "professional" windows is a very distant runs-also (relativly slow
    computers)

    You see, this *is* relevant. Either the resident crowd of idiots is lying
    (they are), or linux is not nearly as bad as they need it to be
    --
    Warning: 10 days have passed since your last Windows reinstall.

  11. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 09:44:58 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > Matt wrote:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Microsoft will probably reach bankruptcy before it manages to cross
    >>> the 3% market share barrier though.

    > You'll be bankrupt long before MS.

    Maybe not. Sometimes justice does win out over illegal activities.

    >> More likely it will survive in some form, but will be practically out
    >> of the OS business.

    > Did a little blue bird land on your shoulder and tell you this?

    --
    Rick

  12. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 10:25:07 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > Richard Rasker wrote:
    >> http://www.top500.org/stats/list/30/osfam
    >>
    >> Funny how Linux is the absolute number one choice in places where top
    >> performance is required, and people know a bit or two about computers.

    > Linux is also the absolute number one choice in places where no
    > household income is required, and people don't know 2 bits about writing
    > good software.

    I am not sure NASA would agree with YOU.

    --
    Rick

  13. Re: John Deere market share in farm equipment: 85%

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 07:09:38 -0800, Johnny Rocket wrote:

    > On Feb 18, 5:22*am, Richard Rasker wrote:
    >> http://www.top500.org/stats/list/30/osfam
    >>
    >> Funny how Linux is the absolute number one choice in places where top
    >> performance is required, and people know a bit or two about computers.

    > Who cares.

    That depends on what you value in an operating system.

    > Name a single household that runs a supercomputer? Different
    > equipment, different market, different target consumer. Maybe what... 5
    > or 6 supercomputers are sold a year compared to 10's of millions of
    > desktops. Hardly a win worth caring about?

    As I said.. it depends..

    --
    Rick

  14. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    On Feb 18, 11:22 pm, Richard Rasker wrote:
    > http://www.top500.org/stats/list/30/osfam
    >
    > Funny how Linux is the absolute number one choice in places where top
    > performance is required, and people know a bit or two about computers.
    >
    > Richard Rasker
    > --http://www.linetec.nl/

    Not bad for what is supposed to be a hobbyist OS allegedly written by
    nerds in their parents' basements.

  15. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    "Rick" stated in post 13rjaast514d478@news.supernews.com
    on 2/18/08 8:50 AM:

    > On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 10:25:07 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Richard Rasker wrote:
    >>> http://www.top500.org/stats/list/30/osfam
    >>>
    >>> Funny how Linux is the absolute number one choice in places where top
    >>> performance is required, and people know a bit or two about computers.

    >> Linux is also the absolute number one choice in places where no
    >> household income is required, and people don't know 2 bits about writing
    >> good software.

    > I am not sure NASA would agree with YOU.

    What makes NASA a good resource to in regards to households where no "income
    is required"? Sure, they have had budget problems, but they hardly fit
    that!

    --
    BU__SH__

  16. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 11:53:07 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > 13rjaast514d478@news.supernews.com on 2/18/08 8:50 AM:

    >>> Linux is also the absolute number one choice in places where no
    >>> household income is required, and people don't know 2 bits about
    >>> writing good software.

    >> I am not sure NASA would agree with YOU.
    >>

    > What makes NASA a good resource to in regards to households where no
    > "income is required"? Sure, they have had budget problems, but they
    > hardly fit that!

    .... "in places where top performance is required..."

    --
    Rick

  17. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 10:47:14 -0800, peterwn wrote:

    > On Feb 18, 11:22 pm, Richard Rasker wrote:
    >> http://www.top500.org/stats/list/30/osfam
    >>
    >> Funny how Linux is the absolute number one choice in places where top
    >> performance is required, and people know a bit or two about computers.
    >>
    >> Richard Rasker
    >> --http://www.linetec.nl/

    > Not bad for what is supposed to be a hobbyist OS allegedly written by
    > nerds in their parents' basements.

    Good one.

    --
    Rick

  18. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    "Rick" stated in post 13rjntg11kuncd8@news.supernews.com
    on 2/18/08 12:42 PM:

    > On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 11:53:07 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" stated in post
    >> 13rjaast514d478@news.supernews.com on 2/18/08 8:50 AM:

    >>> I am not sure NASA would agree with YOU.
    >>>

    >> What makes NASA a good resource to in regards to households where no
    >> "income is required"? Sure, they have had budget problems, but they
    >> hardly fit that!

    > ... "in places where top performance is required..."

    Ok, so you got confused as to what you were responding to. Again. No harm
    done. Thanks for the correction.

    --
    I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please
    everyone. -- Bill Cosby

  19. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    ____/ Matt on Monday 18 February 2008 14:13 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> ____/ Matt on Monday 18 February 2008 12:33 : \____

    >>> More likely it will survive in some form, but will be practically out of
    >>> the OS business.

    >> It's far from profitable in all divisions apart from a couple (ref at
    >> bottom). It's filing for software patents like mad at the moment. Thy name
    >> is SCO 2.0.

    > Hmmm ... don't call me "SCO 2.0".

    Well, I was referring to the Vole. :-)

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Holey (sic) Cow! Longhorn is full of holes...
    Swap: 1510068k total, 469052k used, 1041016k free, 75208k cached

  20. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    ____/ Rick on Monday 18 February 2008 19:43 : \____

    > On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 10:47:14 -0800, peterwn wrote:
    >
    >> On Feb 18, 11:22 pm, Richard Rasker wrote:
    >>> http://www.top500.org/stats/list/30/osfam
    >>>
    >>> Funny how Linux is the absolute number one choice in places where top
    >>> performance is required, and people know a bit or two about computers.
    >>>
    >>> Richard Rasker
    >>> --http://www.linetec.nl/

    >> Not bad for what is supposed to be a hobbyist OS allegedly written by
    >> nerds in their parents' basements.

    > Good one.

    So Ballmer et al were wrong _after all_. Either those basement nerds are really
    talented or the kernel was never written by basement nerd. I think it's the
    latter. Actually, Linus lives like a celebrity in CA and people write the
    kernel for a living. Many others are volunteer professors and professionals
    from companies like Oracle.

    Perception can work magic. Communism, basement nerds, only command line, good
    just foe servers, hard to use, no support and so on and so forth...