Linux market share: 85% - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux market share: 85% - Linux ; * RonB peremptorily fired off this memo: > DFS wrote: > >> Don't lie, dumbkopf. *I can always tell when an "advocate" is lying. > > Are you saying that, just because you're a serial liar, you can spot other ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 53 of 53

  1. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    * RonB peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Don't lie, dumbkopf. *I can always tell when an "advocate" is lying.

    > Are you saying that, just because you're a serial liar, you can spot other
    > serial liars? Nah, it doesn't work way. It's more like the thief who always
    > thinks everybody else is trying to steal from him. A serial liar, like you,
    > always thinks that everyone else is a liar. It's called projection.

    A man who is conscious of a Stink in his Breeches is conscious of every
    Wrinkle in other's Noses. -- Ben Franklin

    --
    Nature that framed us of four elements, warring within our breasts for
    regiment, doth teach us all to have aspiring minds.

  2. Re: John Deere market share in farm equipment: 85%

    On Feb 19, 3:22*am, Richard Rasker wrote:
    > cc wrote:

    > >> Who cares. Name a single household that runs a supercomputer?
    > >> Different equipment, different market, different target consumer.
    > >> Maybe what... 5 or 6 supercomputers are sold a year compared to 10's
    > >> of millions of desktops. Hardly a win worth caring about?

    > > Not hardly worth caring about, but just a different target. Richard's
    > > post recalls the nasty sentiment that users who don't know anything
    > > about computers are stupid though, and that's not a message that we
    > > should be sending. "If you don't like Linux you're stupid..."

    > I was trying to convey the sentiment literally as I put it: that people who
    > know about computers generally tend to choose Linux over Windows.

    Which is a gross over-generalization. People who know about computers
    choose either Linux or Windows, whichever one fits their needs. People
    who don't know about computers choose either Linux or Windows,
    whichever one fits their needs. The needs are what is different, not
    the knowledge of computers.

  3. Re: John Deere market share in farm equipment: 85%

    "Richard Rasker" wrote in message
    > cc wrote:

    >>> Who cares. Name a single household that runs a supercomputer?
    >>> Different equipment, different market, different target consumer.
    >>> Maybe what... 5 or 6 supercomputers are sold a year compared to 10's
    >>> of millions of desktops. Hardly a win worth caring about?
    >>>

    >> Not hardly worth caring about, but just a different target. Richard's
    >> post recalls the nasty sentiment that users who don't know anything
    >> about computers are stupid though, and that's not a message that we
    >> should be sending. "If you don't like Linux you're stupid..."

    > I was trying to convey the sentiment literally as I put it: that people
    > who
    > know about computers generally tend to choose Linux over Windows.

    I wouldn't look at it that way. People who have a need for a particular
    type of computer select one OS over the other. Put it this way... some
    people buy cars and other people buy pickup trucks. One isn't better than
    the other. They are different vehicles for different jobs. Same applies
    here.

    If anything I would suspect that most general users (who aren't very
    computer savy) would view using the same OS as what runs on a
    'supercomputer' as a negative. They want a 'friendly home computer' that's
    easy to use and not the same thing that NASA uses.

    > The fact that the general public doesn't know about computers doesn't
    > mean they're stupid; and the phrase "if you don't like Linux you're
    > stupid"
    > is even one step further away.

    I can agree with that.

    > I hardly know a thing about sports, and neither do I
    > like sports. Does that make me stupid?

    In the general sense, no. But it does make you uninformed when it comes to
    "sports" with uninformed being a polite word for what some might call
    "stupid".

    > Richard Rasker
    > --
    > http://www.linetec.nl/

  4. Re: John Deere market share in farm equipment: 85%

    "Clyde Wrinkle" writes:

    > "Richard Rasker" wrote in message
    >
    >> I hardly know a thing about sports, and neither do I
    >> like sports. Does that make me stupid?

    > In the general sense, no. But it does make you uninformed when it comes to
    > "sports" with uninformed being a polite word for what some might call
    > "stupid".

    Possibly.

    >> Richard Rasker

    Oh. Definitely.

  5. Re: John Deere market share in farm equipment: 85%

    "cc" wrote in message

    >Which is a gross over-generalization. People who know about computers
    >choose either Linux or Windows, whichever one fits their needs. People
    >who don't know about computers choose either Linux or Windows,
    >whichever one fits their needs. The needs are what is different, not
    >the knowledge of computers.

    Another important issue is the knowledge of Linux. The majority of people
    do not know what it is. They go on their normal "expectations" which means
    that they have noticed for the past 17 years or so that new computers come
    with "Microsoft Windows" and if there is a model on the shelf that does not
    feature "Microsoft Windows" there needs to be an explanation of what that
    is. Apple has effectively re-established its brand in the consumer's mind
    with the iPod, iPhone, and the "Hi, I'm a Mac" advertisements. Linux has
    not yet done anything that can achieve that end. They sell to a very
    specialized market segment and until they start spending a few billion bucks
    on promotions, that is the only market that recognizes their existence.

  6. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    On 2008-02-20, DFS wrote:
    > Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> What were their major contributions?

    >> They worked on the cluster code.

    > Don't lie, dumbkopf. I can always tell when an "advocate" is lying.

    One Word: Beowulf.

    [deletia]
    >> In short, they make it visible that linux is everything but slopware

    > In other words, no contributions at all. Just a lot of custom code that was
    > never released back to the "community."

    I have used their NIC drivers on occasion.

    [deletia]

    --

    Truth is irrelevant as long as the predictions are good. |||
    / | \

    http://www.usenet.com

  7. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > One Word: Beowulf.

    From what I can tell, NASA's role in the development of Beowulf is akin to
    MS's role in the development of Xen (virtualization): they "supported it".

    > I have used their NIC drivers on occasion.

    Where can I find them?

  8. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    DFS wrote:

    > JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >
    >> One Word: Beowulf.

    > From what I can tell,

    What you can "tell" is completely irrelevant

    > NASA's role in the development of Beowulf is akin to
    > MS's role in the development of Xen (virtualization): they "supported it".
    >

    >> I have used their NIC drivers on occasion.

    > Where can I find them?

    Ask google. You will get no help here
    --
    Microsoft's Guide To System Design:
    Let it get in YOUR way. The problem for your problem.

  9. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    "Peter Köhlmann" stated in post
    fpoba3$o4e$01$1@news.t-online.com on 2/22/08 10:34 PM:

    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >>
    >>> One Word: Beowulf.

    >> From what I can tell,

    > What you can "tell" is completely irrelevant
    >
    >> NASA's role in the development of Beowulf is akin to
    >> MS's role in the development of Xen (virtualization): they "supported it".
    >>

    >>> I have used their NIC drivers on occasion.

    >> Where can I find them?

    > Ask google. You will get no help here

    Well, not from you... you simply know so little.

    --
    Never stand between a dog and the hydrant. - John Peers

  10. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 22:37:45 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Peter Köhlmann" stated in post
    > fpoba3$o4e$01$1@news.t-online.com on 2/22/08 10:34 PM:
    >
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> From what I can tell,

    >> What you can "tell" is completely irrelevant
    >>
    >>> NASA's role in the development of Beowulf is akin to MS's role in the
    >>> development of Xen (virtualization): they "supported it".

    >>> Where can I find them?

    >> Ask google. You will get no help here

    > Well, not from you... you simply know so little.

    aha HHA ahH AHa ha HAHa ha AHA ah HA...
    That's funny, coming from you.

    --
    Rick

  11. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    "Rick" stated in post 13rvf4ab1eb975d@news.supernews.com
    on 2/22/08 11:26 PM:

    > On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 22:37:45 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> "Peter Köhlmann" stated in post
    >> fpoba3$o4e$01$1@news.t-online.com on 2/22/08 10:34 PM:

    >>> What you can "tell" is completely irrelevant

    >>> Ask google. You will get no help here

    >> Well, not from you... you simply know so little.

    > aha HHA ahH AHa ha HAHa ha AHA ah HA...
    > That's funny, coming from you.

    If you find humor in reality I commend you... life can be quite funny.

    --
    When thinking changes your mind, that's philosophy.
    When God changes your mind, that's faith.

  12. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >>
    >>> One Word: Beowulf.

    >> From what I can tell,

    > What you can "tell" is completely irrelevant

    No need to whine, dumbkopf, just because neither you nor Jedediah can back
    up his claims of NASA being a long-time "major contributor" to Linux.

    >> NASA's role in the development of Beowulf is akin to
    >> MS's role in the development of Xen (virtualization): they
    >> "supported it".
    >>

    >>> I have used their NIC drivers on occasion.

    >> Where can I find them?

    > Ask google. You will get no help here

    I will get no cola "advocates" supporting their bogus claims here.

  13. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    On 2008-02-24, DFS wrote:
    > Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> From what I can tell,

    >> What you can "tell" is completely irrelevant

    > No need to whine, dumbkopf, just because neither you nor Jedediah can back
    > up his claims of NASA being a long-time "major contributor" to Linux.

    No. I just can't be bothered to tell an obvious moron that the sky is pink on Mars.

    [deletia]

    --
    OpenDoc is moot when Apple is your one stop iShop. |||
    / | \

    http://www.usenet.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3