Linux market share: 85% - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux market share: 85% - Linux ; On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 12:46:20 -0700, Snit wrote: > "Rick" stated in post > 13rjntg11kuncd8@news.supernews.com on 2/18/08 12:42 PM: > >> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 11:53:07 -0700, Snit wrote: >> >>> "Rick" stated in post >>> 13rjaast514d478@news.supernews.com on ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 53

Thread: Linux market share: 85%

  1. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 12:46:20 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > 13rjntg11kuncd8@news.supernews.com on 2/18/08 12:42 PM:
    >
    >> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 11:53:07 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Rick" stated in post
    >>> 13rjaast514d478@news.supernews.com on 2/18/08 8:50 AM:
    >>>
    >>>> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 10:25:07 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Richard Rasker wrote:
    >>>>>> http://www.top500.org/stats/list/30/osfam
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Funny how Linux is the absolute number one choice in places where
    >>>>>> top performance is required, and people know a bit or two about
    >>>>>> computers.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Linux is also the absolute number one choice in places where no
    >>>>> household income is required, and people don't know 2 bits about
    >>>>> writing good software.
    >>>>
    >>>> I am not sure NASA would agree with YOU.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>> What makes NASA a good resource to in regards to households where no
    >>> "income is required"? Sure, they have had budget problems, but they
    >>> hardly fit that!

    >>
    >> ... "in places where top performance is required..."

    >
    > Ok, so you got confused as to what you were responding to. Again. No
    > harm done. Thanks for the correction.


    .... and that's one of the things that make people dislike you.

    I'm not confused. NASA uses Linux ... in places where top performance is
    required.

    Now, go play in the traffic.

    --
    Rick

  2. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    ____/ Linonut on Monday 18 February 2008 21:28 : \____

    > * Roy Schestowitz peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> So Ballmer et al were wrong _after all_. Either those basement nerds are
    >> really talented or the kernel was never written by basement nerd. I think
    >> it's the latter. Actually, Linus lives like a celebrity in CA ...

    >
    > I thought he moved to Oregon.


    Then he probably did. I watched a fairly old program about it (from the Finnish
    television).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "I blame God for making me an atheist"
    http://Schestowitz.com | GNU/Linux | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    Mem: 515500k total, 444004k used, 71496k free, 6444k buffers
    http://iuron.com - next generation of search paradigms

  3. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    * Roy Schestowitz peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > So Ballmer et al were wrong _after all_. Either those basement nerds are really
    > talented or the kernel was never written by basement nerd. I think it's the
    > latter. Actually, Linus lives like a celebrity in CA ...


    I thought he moved to Oregon.

    --
    Whether it's Google or Apple or free software, we've got some fantastic
    competitors and it keeps us on our toes.
    -- Bill Gates

  4. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    "Rick" stated in post 13rjr6en8ukr068@news.supernews.com
    on 2/18/08 1:38 PM:

    >>> ... "in places where top performance is required..."

    >>
    >> Ok, so you got confused as to what you were responding to. Again. No
    >> harm done. Thanks for the correction.

    >
    > ... and that's one of the things that make people dislike you.
    >
    >
    > I'm not confused. NASA uses Linux ... in places where top performance is
    > required.
    >
    > Now, go play in the traffic.


    You clearly were not speaking in a logical way.

    Point 1:
    Linux is the #1 choice in places where top performance is needed

    Point 2:
    It is also the #1 choice in places where income is not required

    Rick:
    "I am not sure NASA would agree with you"

    I noted that you were likely wrong, NASA would not likely care about point
    2, the point your comments followed.

    You claimed you did not mean to be responding to point 2 but, instead, to
    point 1... which, really, makes no sense either: why would NASA disagree
    with *that* point either?

    The fact is your claim that NASA would likely no agree with those comments
    is incorrect:

    Point 1: NASA would likely agree - they use, I believe, Linux and they
    need top performance

    Point 2: NASA has nothing to do with this - while they have budget
    problems they are not an expert in this area.

    Your NASA comment was a non sequitur.

    You can get bent out of shape and whine about how you do not like me
    pointing out your irrational comments, Rick, but the fact is your comment
    showed faulty logic on your part.


    --
    Is Swiss cheese made out of hole milk?


  5. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:05:32 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > 13rjr6en8ukr068@news.supernews.com on 2/18/08 1:38 PM:
    >
    >>>> ... "in places where top performance is required..."
    >>>
    >>> Ok, so you got confused as to what you were responding to. Again. No
    >>> harm done. Thanks for the correction.

    >>
    >> ... and that's one of the things that make people dislike you.
    >>
    >>
    >> I'm not confused. NASA uses Linux ... in places where top performance
    >> is required.
    >>
    >> Now, go play in the traffic.

    >
    > You clearly were not speaking in a logical way.
    >
    > Point 1:
    > Linux is the #1 choice in places where top performance is needed
    >
    > Point 2:
    > It is also the #1 choice in places where income is not required
    >
    > Rick:
    > "I am not sure NASA would agree with you"
    >
    > I noted that you were likely wrong, NASA would not likely care about
    > point 2, the point your comments followed.
    >
    > You claimed you did not mean to be responding to point 2 but, instead,
    > to point 1... which, really, makes no sense either: why would NASA
    > disagree with *that* point either?
    >
    > The fact is your claim that NASA would likely no agree with those
    > comments is incorrect:
    >
    > Point 1: NASA would likely agree - they use, I believe, Linux and they
    > need top performance
    >
    > Point 2: NASA has nothing to do with this - while they have budget
    > problems they are not an expert in this area.
    >
    > Your NASA comment was a non sequitur.
    >
    > You can get bent out of shape and whine about how you do not like me
    > pointing out your irrational comments, Rick, but the fact is your
    > comment showed faulty logic on your part.



    Replacing your ever constant context snips.
    *********************************************
    > Linux is also the absolute number one choice in places where no
    > household income is required, and people don't know 2 bits about writing
    > good software.


    I am not sure NASA would agree with YOU.
    *********************************************

    Now, go figure it out for your self.

    --
    Rick

  6. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    "Rick" stated in post 13rk41oqnkg6u0a@news.supernews.com
    on 2/18/08 4:09 PM:

    >> You clearly were not speaking in a logical way.
    >>
    >> Point 1:
    >> Linux is the #1 choice in places where top performance is needed
    >>
    >> Point 2:
    >> It is also the #1 choice in places where income is not required
    >>
    >> Rick:
    >> "I am not sure NASA would agree with you"
    >>
    >> I noted that you were likely wrong, NASA would not likely care about
    >> point 2, the point your comments followed.
    >>
    >> You claimed you did not mean to be responding to point 2 but, instead,
    >> to point 1... which, really, makes no sense either: why would NASA
    >> disagree with *that* point either?
    >>
    >> The fact is your claim that NASA would likely no agree with those
    >> comments is incorrect:
    >>
    >> Point 1: NASA would likely agree - they use, I believe, Linux and they
    >> need top performance
    >>
    >> Point 2: NASA has nothing to do with this - while they have budget
    >> problems they are not an expert in this area.
    >>
    >> Your NASA comment was a non sequitur.
    >>
    >> You can get bent out of shape and whine about how you do not like me
    >> pointing out your irrational comments, Rick, but the fact is your
    >> comment showed faulty logic on your part.

    >
    >
    > Replacing your ever constant context snips.
    > *********************************************
    >> Linux is also the absolute number one choice in places where no
    >> household income is required, and people don't know 2 bits about writing
    >> good software.

    >
    > I am not sure NASA would agree with YOU.
    > *********************************************
    >
    > Now, go figure it out for your self.


    Why would NASA disagree with that... and even if they did why would you hold
    NASA up as an expert in "places where no household income is required, and
    people don't know 2 bits about writing good software"?


    --
    Teachers open the door but you must walk through it yourself.


  7. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    ____/ [H]omer on Monday 18 February 2008 23:04 : \____

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Rick spake thusly:
    >> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 10:25:07 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >>> Richard Rasker wrote:

    >
    >>>> http://www.top500.org/stats/list/30/osfam
    >>>>
    >>>> Funny how Linux is the absolute number one choice in places where
    >>>> top performance is required, and people know a bit or two about
    >>>> computers.
    >>>
    >>> Linux is also the absolute number one choice in places where no
    >>> household income is required, and people don't know 2 bits about
    >>> writing good software.

    >>
    >> I am not sure NASA would agree with YOU.

    >
    > Nor the US Army.


    Does Michael Dell live in a place where no household income is required? How
    about the Italian and French cabinets, which use GNU/Linux on laptops?

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    "We should dedicate a cross-group team to come up with ways to leverage Windows
    technically more."
    --Jim Allchin, Microsoft

  8. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 00:42:31 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ [H]omer on Monday 18 February 2008 23:04 : \____
    >
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that Rick spake thusly:
    >>> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 10:25:07 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >>>> Richard Rasker wrote:

    >>
    >>>>> http://www.top500.org/stats/list/30/osfam
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Funny how Linux is the absolute number one choice in places where
    >>>>> top performance is required, and people know a bit or two about
    >>>>> computers.
    >>>>
    >>>> Linux is also the absolute number one choice in places where no
    >>>> household income is required, and people don't know 2 bits about
    >>>> writing good software.
    >>>
    >>> I am not sure NASA would agree with YOU.

    >>
    >> Nor the US Army.

    >
    > Does Michael Dell live in a place where no household income is required?


    Micahel Dell just removed Linux from his personal laptop.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: John Deere market share in farm equipment: 85%

    On Feb 18, 10:09*am, Johnny Rocket wrote:
    > On Feb 18, 5:22*am, Richard Rasker wrote:
    >
    > >http://www.top500.org/stats/list/30/osfam

    >
    > > Funny how Linux is the absolute number one choice in places where top
    > > performance is required, and people know a bit or two about computers.

    >
    > Who cares. Name a single household that runs a supercomputer?
    > Different equipment, different market, different target consumer.
    > Maybe what... 5 or 6 supercomputers are sold a year compared to 10's
    > of millions of desktops. Hardly a win worth caring about?
    >


    Not hardly worth caring about, but just a different target. Richard's
    post recalls the nasty sentiment that users who don't know anything
    about computers are stupid though, and that's not a message that we
    should be sending. "If you don't like Linux you're stupid..."

  10. Re: John Deere market share in farm equipment: 85%

    cc wrote:

    > On Feb 18, 10:09┬*am, Johnny Rocket wrote:
    >> On Feb 18, 5:22┬*am, Richard Rasker wrote:
    >>
    >> >http://www.top500.org/stats/list/30/osfam

    >>
    >> > Funny how Linux is the absolute number one choice in places where top
    >> > performance is required, and people know a bit or two about computers.

    >>
    >> Who cares. Name a single household that runs a supercomputer?
    >> Different equipment, different market, different target consumer.
    >> Maybe what... 5 or 6 supercomputers are sold a year compared to 10's
    >> of millions of desktops. Hardly a win worth caring about?
    >>

    >
    > Not hardly worth caring about, but just a different target. Richard's
    > post recalls the nasty sentiment that users who don't know anything
    > about computers are stupid though, and that's not a message that we
    > should be sending. "If you don't like Linux you're stupid..."


    I was trying to convey the sentiment literally as I put it: that people who
    know about computers generally tend to choose Linux over Windows. The fact
    that the general public doesn't know about computers doesn't mean they're
    stupid; and the phrase "if you don't like Linux you're stupid" is even one
    step further away. I hardly know a thing about sports, and neither do I
    like sports. Does that make me stupid?

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl/

  11. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > ____/ Matt on Monday 18 February 2008 14:13 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> ____/ Matt on Monday 18 February 2008 12:33 : \____
    >>>
    >>>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Microsoft will probably reach bankruptcy before
    >>>>> it manages to cross the 3% market share barrier though.
    >>>> More likely it will survive in some form, but will be practically out of
    >>>> the OS business.
    >>> It's far from profitable in all divisions apart from a couple (ref at
    >>> bottom). It's filing for software patents like mad at the moment. Thy name
    >>> is SCO 2.0.

    >> Hmmm ... don't call me "SCO 2.0".

    >
    > Well, I was referring to the Vole. :-)


    okay

  12. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    On 2008-02-18, peterwn wrote:
    > On Feb 18, 11:22 pm, Richard Rasker wrote:
    >> http://www.top500.org/stats/list/30/osfam
    >>
    >> Funny how Linux is the absolute number one choice in places where top
    >> performance is required, and people know a bit or two about computers.
    >>
    >> Richard Rasker
    >> --http://www.linetec.nl/

    >
    >
    > Not bad for what is supposed to be a hobbyist OS allegedly written by
    > nerds in their parents' basements.


    That's the problem with urban legend.

    It ignores little details like the fact that the guys at NASA have
    been major contributors since the early days.

    NASA -> hobbyists ???

    --
    If you are going to judge Linux based on how easy
    it is to get onto a Macintosh. Let's try installing |||
    MacOS X on a DELL! / | \

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  13. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > It ignores little details like the fact that the guys at NASA have
    > been major contributors since the early days.
    >
    > NASA -> hobbyists ???


    What were their major contributions?




  14. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    DFS wrote:

    > JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >
    >> It ignores little details like the fact that the guys at NASA have
    >> been major contributors since the early days.
    >>
    >> NASA -> hobbyists ???

    >
    > What were their major contributions?


    They worked on the cluster code.
    They have a linux supercomputer
    They use linux for their next rovers

    In short, they make it visible that linux is everything but slopware
    --
    Microsoft's Guide To System Design:
    If it starts working, we'll fix it. Pronto.


  15. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    Peter K÷hlmann wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >>
    >>> It ignores little details like the fact that the guys at NASA have
    >>> been major contributors since the early days.
    >>>
    >>> NASA -> hobbyists ???

    >>
    >> What were their major contributions?

    >
    > They worked on the cluster code.


    Don't lie, dumbkopf. I can always tell when an "advocate" is lying.



    > They have a linux supercomputer
    > They use linux for their next rovers


    I asked for contributions they made back, not code they freeloaded.



    > In short, they make it visible that linux is everything but slopware


    In other words, no contributions at all. Just a lot of custom code that was
    never released back to the "community."

    I started following the fruitless links. From here
    http://colab.arc.nasa.gov/files/osco...e_software.pdf to here
    http://www.flightlinux.com/ to here http://www.openflightlinux.org/. No
    contributions by NASA whatsoever that I can find.




  16. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    DFS wrote:

    > Peter K÷hlmann wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> It ignores little details like the fact that the guys at NASA have
    >>>> been major contributors since the early days.
    >>>>
    >>>> NASA -> hobbyists ???
    >>>
    >>> What were their major contributions?

    >>
    >> They worked on the cluster code.

    >
    > Don't lie, dumbkopf. I can always tell when an "advocate" is lying.


    Idiot

    --
    Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice which can be equally well
    explained by stupidity


  17. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    In article ,
    Peter Kohlmann wrote:
    > >> It ignores little details like the fact that the guys at NASA have
    > >> been major contributors since the early days.
    > >>
    > >> NASA -> hobbyists ???

    > >
    > > What were their major contributions?

    >
    > They worked on the cluster code.
    > They have a linux supercomputer
    > They use linux for their next rovers
    >
    > In short, they make it visible that linux is everything but slopware


    And they use a lot of OS X, too, which means they are idiots, according
    to you. Do you really want to cite people you consider idiots to
    support your argument?


    --
    --Tim Smith

  18. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    DFS wrote:

    > Don't lie, dumbkopf. ┬*I can always tell when an "advocate" is lying.


    Are you saying that, just because you're a serial liar, you can spot other
    serial liars? Nah, it doesn't work way. It's more like the thief who always
    thinks everybody else is trying to steal from him. A serial liar, like you,
    always thinks that everyone else is a liar. It's called projection.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  19. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Peter Kohlmann wrote:
    >> >> It ignores little details like the fact that the guys at NASA have
    >> >> been major contributors since the early days.
    >> >>
    >> >> NASA -> hobbyists ???
    >> >
    >> > What were their major contributions?

    >>
    >> They worked on the cluster code.
    >> They have a linux supercomputer
    >> They use linux for their next rovers
    >>
    >> In short, they make it visible that linux is everything but slopware

    >
    > And they use a lot of OS X, too, which means they are idiots, according
    > to you. Do you really want to cite people you consider idiots to
    > support your argument?
    >


    I consider each and every CSMA poster invading COLA as an idiot. Not every
    apple user. There /might/ be some valid reasons to use an apple machine,
    although they get less by the month

    --
    Warning: 10 days have passed since your last Windows reinstall.


  20. Re: Linux market share: 85%

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 21:14:59 +0100, Peter K÷hlmann wrote:

    > Tim Smith wrote:
    >
    >> In article ,
    >> Peter Kohlmann wrote:
    >>> >> It ignores little details like the fact that the guys at NASA have
    >>> >> been major contributors since the early days.
    >>> >>
    >>> >> NASA -> hobbyists ???
    >>> >
    >>> > What were their major contributions?
    >>>
    >>> They worked on the cluster code.
    >>> They have a linux supercomputer
    >>> They use linux for their next rovers
    >>>
    >>> In short, they make it visible that linux is everything but slopware

    >>
    >> And they use a lot of OS X, too, which means they are idiots, according
    >> to you. Do you really want to cite people you consider idiots to
    >> support your argument?
    >>

    >
    > I consider each and every CSMA poster invading COLA as an idiot. Not every
    > apple user. There /might/ be some valid reasons to use an apple machine,
    > although they get less by the month


    By your own criteria your wife is an idiot as well because she uses
    Windows.
    I wonder what she thinks of you calling her and idiot, Peter Kohlmann.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast