Article: Time to dump Windows? - Linux

This is a discussion on Article: Time to dump Windows? - Linux ; ----- Can it be done? Is it the right time? Find out what it'll take to finally switch to desktop Mac OS X or Linux ... "Windows Vista was the reason I bought a Mac mini. I didn't want my ...

  1. Article: Time to dump Windows?

    -----
    Can it be done? Is it the right time? Find out what it'll
    take to finally switch to desktop Mac OS X or Linux
    "Windows Vista was the reason I bought a Mac mini. I didn't
    want my only choices to be an operating system that would
    soon be obsolete (XP) or one that was buggy and would break
    much existing hardware (Vista), and I'm not enough of a geek
    to use Linux (do things from the command line? Puhleeze...),"
    wrote "Jack."
    The Mac OS X option
    Of the plausible alternatives to Windows, Apple's Mac OS X
    has the largest market share and history. InfoWorld chief
    technologist Tom Yager has written that the latest version of
    the Mac OS, Leopard (10.5), is simply the best operating
    system available.
    The Linux option
    The more technically inclined may be attracted to Linux, the
    most popular form of desktop Unix. Linux desktops typically
    are challenged by limited hardware compatibility (due to lack
    of drivers), limited application options, and user interfaces
    that require active participation to get work done, which
    tends to keep Linux away from the general user population.
    But those who work with a Linux server all day may find that
    using it on the desktop as well actually makes their lives
    easier.
    InfoWorld Enterprise Desktop blogger Randall Kennedy argues
    that desktop Linux is doomed to remain a tiny niche OS, given
    the Linux community's lack of interest in providing a UI that
    regular people could use. Kennedy tried to spend a week
    working on nothing but the Ubuntu distribution of Linux but
    gave up on the fifth day.

    But Kennedy's take isn't the last word on desktop Linux.
    Frequent InfoWorld contributor Neil McAllister put together a
    special report on how to move from Windows to Linux,
    concluding that the effort was not as hard as you might think.
    -----

    "... lack of interest in providing a UI that regular people could use."

    Clearly I am not the only one who understands there are problems with the
    UIs provided in different Linux distros. Still, good to see info world
    talking about the good and the bad of Linux and comparing it to the two
    biggies...

    --
    I know how a jam jar feels...
    .... full of jam!

  2. Re: Article: Time to dump Windows?

    Appil Asstroturfer Snit wrote on behalf of appil corporation:

    > -----
    > Can it be done? Is it the right time?

    > The Linux option
    > The more technically inclined may be attracted to Linux, the
    > most popular form of desktop Unix. Linux desktops typically
    > are challenged by limited hardware compatibility (due to lack
    > of drivers), limited application options, and user interfaces
    > that require active participation to get work done, which
    > tends to keep Linux away from the general user population.
    > But those who work with a Linux server all day may find that
    > using it on the desktop as well actually makes their lives
    > easier.
    > InfoWorld Enterprise Desktop blogger Randall Kennedy argues
    > that desktop Linux is doomed to remain a tiny niche OS, given
    > the Linux community's lack of interest in providing a UI that
    > regular people could use. Kennedy tried to spend a week
    > working on nothing but the Ubuntu distribution of Linux but
    > gave up on the fifth day.

    He must be a mac retard then?

    www.youtube.com and search for ubuntu + beryl and compiz
    and see how much more advanced Linux is compared to appil crap.

    Also to expose the lies by appil corporation funded asstroturfers
    you can see the UI is the same as any other.

    Even teenagers are now churning out their own distros which
    are better looking than appil crap.

    > But Kennedy's take isn't the last word on desktop Linux.
    > Frequent InfoWorld contributor Neil McAllister put together a
    > special report on how to move from Windows to Linux,
    > concluding that the effort was not as hard as you might think.
    > -----
    >
    > "... lack of interest in providing a UI that regular people could use."
    >
    > Clearly I am not the only one who understands there are problems with the
    > UIs provided in different Linux distros. Still, good to see info world
    > talking about the good and the bad of Linux and comparing it to the two
    > biggies...

    Clearly the problem is Appil asstroturfers and their retards
    posting fraudulent material and making claims they
    can't substantiate despite being shown to be liars by youtube videos.

    Companies like eSys, Acer, Ausus are now shipping vast
    quantities of Linux PCs.

    Linux sells 3 million+ embedded Linux gadgets PER DAY.
    Linux has 1 million+ new desktop installs per month at least.

  3. Re: Article: Time to dump Windows?

    "7" stated in post
    M51uj.8934$XI.4942@text.news.virginmedia.com on 2/17/08 1:49 PM:

    > Appil Asstroturfer Snit wrote on behalf of appil corporation:
    >

    >> -----
    >> Can it be done? Is it the right time?

    > ..
    >
    >> The Linux option
    >> The more technically inclined may be attracted to Linux, the
    >> most popular form of desktop Unix. Linux desktops typically
    >> are challenged by limited hardware compatibility (due to lack
    >> of drivers), limited application options, and user interfaces
    >> that require active participation to get work done, which
    >> tends to keep Linux away from the general user population.
    >> But those who work with a Linux server all day may find that
    >> using it on the desktop as well actually makes their lives
    >> easier.
    >> InfoWorld Enterprise Desktop blogger Randall Kennedy argues
    >> that desktop Linux is doomed to remain a tiny niche OS, given
    >> the Linux community's lack of interest in providing a UI that
    >> regular people could use. Kennedy tried to spend a week
    >> working on nothing but the Ubuntu distribution of Linux but
    >> gave up on the fifth day.

    > He must be a mac retard then?
    >
    > www.youtube.com and search for ubuntu + beryl and compiz
    > and see how much more advanced Linux is compared to appil crap.

    Appil? Not sure what you mean... Apple perhaps? If so I have not seen
    anything that makes me think so - seems like Berly is just a show piece for
    a graphics card... not anything that makes work any better or easier.

    > Also to expose the lies by appil corporation funded asstroturfers
    > you can see the UI is the same as any other.

    Your poor English is hard to understand... can you explain what you mean.

    > Even teenagers are now churning out their own distros which
    > are better looking than appil crap.

    You seem really focused on looks and on "appil", which is either a distro I
    do not know of our your error in spelling "Apple".

    >> But Kennedy's take isn't the last word on desktop Linux.
    >> Frequent InfoWorld contributor Neil McAllister put together a
    >> special report on how to move from Windows to Linux,
    >> concluding that the effort was not as hard as you might think.
    >> -----
    >>
    >> "... lack of interest in providing a UI that regular people could use."
    >>
    >> Clearly I am not the only one who understands there are problems with the
    >> UIs provided in different Linux distros. Still, good to see info world
    >> talking about the good and the bad of Linux and comparing it to the two
    >> biggies...

    > Clearly the problem is Appil asstroturfers and their retards
    > posting fraudulent material and making claims they
    > can't substantiate despite being shown to be liars by youtube videos.

    Again: your poor English makes you hard to understand. What YouTube videos
    do you think disprove what?

    > Companies like eSys, Acer, Ausus are now shipping vast
    > quantities of Linux PCs.

    And yet Linux remains at 1% or less of the desktop market.

    > Linux sells 3 million+ embedded Linux gadgets PER DAY.

    Do you know what a desktop computer is?

    > Linux has 1 million+ new desktop installs per month at least.

    Then why can't they get past 1% user base?

    --
    The answer to the water shortage is to dilute it.

  4. Re: Article: Time to dump Windows?

    Appil is what his wife likes to eat when I **** her. 7 likes to watch.

    > Apple perhaps? If so I have not seen
    > anything that makes me think so - seems like Berly is just a show piece for
    > a graphics card... not anything that makes work any better or easier.

    Its just eye candy and it does not provide me a beneficial UI. I would
    rather have a simple desktop without a wallpaper and get my work done
    than have a pretty but distracting interface. There is, I would agree,
    some sense of happiness felt when using a prettier interface, which
    may enhance productivity sometimes. That I see with Macs, but for some
    reason I try to keep my Linux desktop simple. And well, no X on
    servers!

    > > Also to expose the lies by appil corporation funded asstroturfers
    > > you can see the UI is the same as any other.

    > Your poor English is hard to understand... can you explain what you mean.

    You are better off doing something other than trying to understand 7.
    Even his mom doesn't understand him. Wonder why 7 lives on the street
    and uses public library to post?

    > > Even teenagers are now churning out their own distros which
    > > are better looking than appil crap.

    > You seem really focused on looks and on "appil", which is either a distro I
    > do not know of our your error in spelling "Apple".

    It is 7's new distribution of Loonix.

    > > Companies like eSys, Acer, Ausus are now shipping vast
    > > quantities of Linux PCs.

    > And yet Linux remains at 1% or less of the desktop market.

    The market for Linux is not big. It has a value in specialized fields
    though. Desktop Linux has a long way to go as far as marketing and
    changing user's perception. Indeed, many users would prefer a Mac than
    Linux. But Linux certainly stands a chance if marketed well and
    distributions consolidated.

    > > Linux sells 3 million+ embedded Linux gadgets PER DAY.

    > Do you know what a desktop computer is?

    He is understating everything. "Linux sells" 49 billion embedded
    "Linux gadgets" per minute.

    > > Linux has 1 million+ new desktop installs per month at least.

    > Then why can't they get past 1% user base?

    Again he is understating. "Linux has" 99 trillion new desktops per
    second, at the minimum.

    I'd suggest NBC to improve their rating by compiling posts from 7 and
    showing them on Jay Leno or something. David Letterman is just too
    bland for such jokes.

    On the other hand, VH1 should drop the ugly Flava Flav and choose Mark
    Kent. Kent is slighly less ugly. Or maybe the nymshifting berkeley rat
    nessuno or stilleto or Littlejohn, whatever you want to call him.

  5. Re: Article: Time to dump Windows?

    Appil Corporation asstroturfer and fraudster Snit wrote on behalf of appil
    corporation:

    > "7" stated in post
    > M51uj.8934$XI.4942@text.news.virginmedia.com on 2/17/08 1:49 PM:
    >
    >> Appil Asstroturfer Snit wrote on behalf of appil corporation:
    >>
    >>> <http://www.infoworld.com

    article/08/02/17/08NF-vista-alternatives_1.html>
    >>> -----
    >>> Can it be done? Is it the right time?

    >> ..
    >>
    >>> The Linux option
    >>> The more technically inclined may be attracted to Linux, the
    >>> most popular form of desktop Unix. Linux desktops typically
    >>> are challenged by limited hardware compatibility (due to lack
    >>> of drivers), limited application options, and user interfaces
    >>> that require active participation to get work done, which
    >>> tends to keep Linux away from the general user population.
    >>> But those who work with a Linux server all day may find that
    >>> using it on the desktop as well actually makes their lives
    >>> easier.
    >>> InfoWorld Enterprise Desktop blogger Randall Kennedy argues
    >>> that desktop Linux is doomed to remain a tiny niche OS, given
    >>> the Linux community's lack of interest in providing a UI that
    >>> regular people could use. Kennedy tried to spend a week
    >>> working on nothing but the Ubuntu distribution of Linux but
    >>> gave up on the fifth day.

    >> He must be a mac retard then?
    >>
    >> www.youtube.com and search for ubuntu + beryl and compiz
    >> and see how much more advanced Linux is compared to appil crap.

    > Appil? Not sure what you mean... Apple perhaps?

    Why do appil retards have difficulty with spelling?

  6. Re: Article: Time to dump Windows?

    7 wrote:

    > Companies like eSys, Acer, Ausus are now shipping vast
    > quantities of Linux PCs.
    >
    > Linux sells 3 million+ embedded Linux gadgets PER DAY.

    A couple weeks have gone by since you upped it from 1 to 3 million per day.
    So it's probably closer to 8 million per day now, don't you think?

    > Linux has 1 million+ new desktop installs per month at least.

    Why do you keep pretending to advocate Linux when you make a living with
    Windows?

  7. Re: Article: Time to dump Windows?

    Micoshaft Fraudulent Asstroturfer DFS wrote on behalf of Micoshaft
    Corporation:

    > 7 wrote:
    >
    >> Companies like eSys, Acer, Ausus are now shipping vast
    >> quantities of Linux PCs.
    >>
    >> Linux sells 3 million+ embedded Linux gadgets PER DAY.

    > A couple weeks have gone by since you upped it from 1 to 3 million per
    > day. So it's probably closer to 8 million per day now, don't you think?

    Well its called a Open Office Calc. It does calculations better
    than micoshaft offerings like excel crapola.

    As you type in updates, it calcuates at the bottom what the final answer is.

    If you got 8 million then it follows you must be using micoshaft excel
    and its faulty aritmetic again!!!

    >> Linux has 1 million+ new desktop installs per month at least.

    > Why do you keep pretending to advocate Linux when you make a living with
    > Windows?

    Simply put doofy, you are a liar as I don't.
    That goes well with your image of a micoshaft sponsored fraudster.
    Making a living has nothing to do with using the windummy OSen.
    That should scare you - micoshaft is no longer of any relevance
    to a developer like me.

  8. Re: Article: Time to dump Windows?

    "7" stated in post
    0_2uj.9016$XI.5061@text.news.virginmedia.com on 2/17/08 3:58 PM:

    > Appil Corporation asstroturfer and fraudster Snit wrote on behalf of appil
    > corporation:
    >
    >> "7" stated in post
    >> M51uj.8934$XI.4942@text.news.virginmedia.com on 2/17/08 1:49 PM:

    > article/08/02/17/08NF-vista-alternatives_1.html>
    >>> ..

    >>> He must be a mac retard then?
    >>>
    >>> www.youtube.com and search for ubuntu + beryl and compiz
    >>> and see how much more advanced Linux is compared to appil crap.

    >> Appil? Not sure what you mean... Apple perhaps?

    > Why do appil retards have difficulty with spelling?

    Do you? Not sure what you are getting at.

    --
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
    --Albert Einstein

  9. Re: Article: Time to dump Windows?

    "mark.kent.is.owned@gmail.com" stated in post
    a1b0ca7a-9464-4e3b-85eb-2ba6a8c1f0a1...oglegroups.com on 2/17/08
    2:52 PM:

    > On Feb 17, 4:26 pm, Snit wrote:
    >> Retarded "7" stated in post
    >> M51uj.8934$XI.4...@text.news.virginmedia.com on 2/17/08 1:49 PM:

    >> corporation:

    >>> ..

    >>> He must be a mac retard then?

    >>> www.youtube.comand search for ubuntu + beryl and compiz
    >>> and see how much more advanced Linux is compared to appil crap.

    >> Appil? Not sure what you mean...
    >> Apple perhaps? If so I have not seen
    >> anything that makes me think so - seems like Berly is just a show piece for
    >> a graphics card... not anything that makes work any better or easier.

    > Its just eye candy and it does not provide me a beneficial UI. I would
    > rather have a simple desktop without a wallpaper and get my work done
    > than have a pretty but distracting interface. There is, I would agree,
    > some sense of happiness felt when using a prettier interface, which
    > may enhance productivity sometimes. That I see with Macs, but for some
    > reason I try to keep my Linux desktop simple. And well, no X on
    > servers!

    Beryl is just overkill with useless eye candy. Apple made that mistake with
    the translucent menu... and they have now added the option to turn that
    silliness off.

    >>> Also to expose the lies by appil corporation funded asstroturfers
    >>> you can see the UI is the same as any other.

    >> Your poor English is hard to understand... can you explain what you mean.

    > You are better off doing something other than trying to understand 7.
    > Even his mom doesn't understand him. Wonder why 7 lives on the street
    > and uses public library to post?

    Is his first language English? Seriously... if not, or if he suffers from
    Dyslexia or something similar I do not fault him. Anyone know?

    >>> Even teenagers are now churning out their own distros which
    >>> are better looking than appil crap.

    >> You seem really focused on looks and on "appil", which is either a distro I
    >> do not know of our your error in spelling "Apple".

    > It is 7's new distribution of Loonix.

    LOL! Could be.

    >>> Companies like eSys, Acer, Ausus are now shipping vast
    >>> quantities of Linux PCs.

    >> And yet Linux remains at 1% or less of the desktop market.

    > The market for Linux is not big. It has a value in specialized fields
    > though. Desktop Linux has a long way to go as far as marketing and
    > changing user's perception. Indeed, many users would prefer a Mac than
    > Linux. But Linux certainly stands a chance if marketed well and
    > distributions consolidated.

    Agreed - and I would like to see it. I would love to see both OS X and
    Linux do well.

    >>> Linux sells 3 million+ embedded Linux gadgets PER DAY.

    >> Do you know what a desktop computer is?

    > He is understating everything. "Linux sells" 49 billion embedded
    > "Linux gadgets" per minute.
    >
    >>> Linux has 1 million+ new desktop installs per month at least.

    >> Then why can't they get past 1% user base?

    > Again he is understating. "Linux has" 99 trillion new desktops per
    > second, at the minimum.

    Of course. Sadly they are being downloaded to one basement.

    > I'd suggest NBC to improve their rating by compiling posts from 7 and
    > showing them on Jay Leno or something. David Letterman is just too
    > bland for such jokes.
    >
    > On the other hand, VH1 should drop the ugly Flava Flav and choose Mark
    > Kent. Kent is slighly less ugly. Or maybe the nymshifting berkeley rat
    > nessuno or stilleto or Littlejohn, whatever you want to call him.

    --
    Look, this is silly. It's not an argument, it's an armor plated walrus with
    walnut paneling and an all leather interior.

  10. Re: Article: Time to dump Windows?

    DFS wrote:

    > Why do you keep pretending to advocate Linux when you make a living with
    > Windows?

    Why are you still here?

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  11. Re: Article: Time to dump Windows?

    Gregory Shearman wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Why do you keep pretending to advocate Linux when you make a living
    >> with Windows?

    > Why are you still here?

    What's it to ya?

+ Reply to Thread