Re: [News] It's Now (Almost) Confirmed: Microsoft Loses, Blu-Ray Wins - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] It's Now (Almost) Confirmed: Microsoft Loses, Blu-Ray Wins - Linux ; On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 01:05:58 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote: > R.I.P. HD DVD: Toshiba reportedly ends the war > > ,----[ Quote ] >| Well, that's it. Toshiba appears to be pulling the plug on HD DVD. Toshiba >| ...

  1. Re: [News] It's Now (Almost) Confirmed: Microsoft Loses, Blu-Ray Wins

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 01:05:58 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > R.I.P. HD DVD: Toshiba reportedly ends the war
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Well, that's it. Toshiba appears to be pulling the plug on HD DVD. Toshiba
    >| has not commented publicly, but a report on Japan's NHK says Toshiba has made
    >| the decision to withdraw from next generation high-definition DVD production.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-987...=2547-1_3-0-20

    HD-DVD lost because of perception.

    It wasn't consumers either, it was the salespeople. The second they heard
    about Warner dropping HD-DVD, they started telling their customers not to
    buy HD-DVD players because it was dead, effectively creating a
    self-fulfilling prophesy.

    HD-DVD players were cheaper than Blue-ray, had more features, cost less to
    produce (both disks and players) and had equal quality to Blu-Ray. By all
    measures, it should have won the war, but it just goes to show how
    perception can cause snowballing.

  2. Re: [News] It's Now (Almost) Confirmed: Microsoft Loses, Blu-Ray Wins

    buddy, u hv forgotten that each PSP3 has a Blu-ray drive. Count the no
    of PSP3's sold and u get a reason for Blu-ray's victory.

    Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 01:05:58 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    > > R.I.P. HD DVD: Toshiba reportedly ends the war
    > >
    > > ,----[ Quote ]
    > >| Well, that's it. Toshiba appears to be pulling the plug on HD DVD. Toshiba
    > >| has not commented publicly, but a report on Japan's NHK says Toshiba has made
    > >| the decision to withdraw from next generation high-definition DVD production.
    > > `----
    > >
    > > http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-987...=2547-1_3-0-20

    > HD-DVD lost because of perception.
    >
    > It wasn't consumers either, it was the salespeople. The second they heard
    > about Warner dropping HD-DVD, they started telling their customers not to
    > buy HD-DVD players because it was dead, effectively creating a
    > self-fulfilling prophesy.
    >
    > HD-DVD players were cheaper than Blue-ray, had more features, cost less to
    > produce (both disks and players) and had equal quality to Blu-Ray. By all
    > measures, it should have won the war, but it just goes to show how
    > perception can cause snowballing.

  3. Re: [News] It's Now (Almost) Confirmed: Microsoft Loses, Blu-Ray Wins

    ____/ v cube on Sunday 17 February 2008 07:05 : \____

    > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 01:05:58 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> > R.I.P. HD DVD: Toshiba reportedly ends the war
    >> >
    >> > ,----[ Quote ]
    >> > `----

    >> HD-DVD lost because of perception.
    >>
    >> It wasn't consumers either, it was the salespeople. The second they heard
    >> about Warner dropping HD-DVD, they started telling their customers not to
    >> buy HD-DVD players because it was dead, effectively creating a
    >> self-fulfilling prophesy.
    >>
    >> HD-DVD players were cheaper than Blue-ray, had more features, cost less to
    >> produce (both disks and players) and had equal quality to Blu-Ray. By all
    >> measures, it should have won the war, but it just goes to show how
    >> perception can cause snowballing.

    > buddy, u hv forgotten that each PSP3 has a Blu-ray drive. Count the no
    > of PSP3's sold and u get a reason for Blu-ray's victory.

    v cube,

    Please try to enter your replies at the bottom of the message that you reply
    to. It makes things easier to read and respond to. :-)

    As for Erik Funkenbusch, he is one among the people who invade a Linux
    newsgroup in order to defend the vile monopolist and ridicule Linux. It is
    better not to reply to the likes of Erik Funkenbusch (you will find several
    others who are equally appalling).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Maths applied to numbers is like logic applied to statistics. Statistics are
    lies.
    08:00:01 up 23 days, 17:54, 3 users, load average: 1.82, 1.25, 1.29

  4. Re: [News] It's Now (Almost) Confirmed: Microsoft Loses, Blu-Ray Wins

    Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 01:05:58 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> R.I.P. HD DVD: Toshiba reportedly ends the war
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Well, that's it. Toshiba appears to be pulling the plug on HD DVD.
    >>| Toshiba has not commented publicly, but a report on Japan's NHK says
    >>| Toshiba has made the decision to withdraw from next generation
    >>| high-definition DVD production.
    >> `----

    > HD-DVD lost because of perception.

    Yep... the perception that hd-dvd was the lesser hardware...

    > It wasn't consumers either, it was the salespeople. The second they heard
    > about Warner dropping HD-DVD, they started telling their customers not to
    > buy HD-DVD players because it was dead, effectively creating a
    > self-fulfilling prophesy.

    They did the right thing in protecting their customers from a DEAD END
    format. God bless them.

    > HD-DVD players were cheaper than Blue-ray, had more features, cost less to
    > produce (both disks and players) and had equal quality to Blu-Ray. By all
    > measures, it should have won the war, but it just goes to show how
    > perception can cause snowballing.

    HD-DVD had (past tense because it is dead) half the storage capacity... and
    no one supported it beyond the msft circle jerk...

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  5. Re: [News] It's Now (Almost) Confirmed: Microsoft Loses, Blu-Ray Wins

    In article ,
    Jerry McBride wrote:
    > > It wasn't consumers either, it was the salespeople. The second they heard
    > > about Warner dropping HD-DVD, they started telling their customers not to
    > > buy HD-DVD players because it was dead, effectively creating a
    > > self-fulfilling prophesy.
    > >

    > They did the right thing in protecting their customers from a DEAD END
    > format. God bless them.

    So you approve of pushing customers toward DRM with a built-in back door
    that supports patching firmware without notifying the consumer?

    --
    --Tim Smith

  6. Re: [News] It's Now (Almost) Confirmed: Microsoft Loses, Blu-Ray Wins

    Tim Smith writes:

    > In article ,
    > Jerry McBride wrote:
    >> > It wasn't consumers either, it was the salespeople. The second they heard
    >> > about Warner dropping HD-DVD, they started telling their customers not to
    >> > buy HD-DVD players because it was dead, effectively creating a
    >> > self-fulfilling prophesy.
    >> >

    >> They did the right thing in protecting their customers from a DEAD END
    >> format. God bless them.

    > So you approve of pushing customers toward DRM with a built-in back door
    > that supports patching firmware without notifying the consumer?

    And the execution of arbitrary code to ensure that the system has not
    been "opened" up and made "Free"?

    COLA is getting to be more a hypocritical cesspit by the day.

  7. Re: [News] It's Now (Almost) Confirmed: Microsoft Loses, Blu-Ray Wins

    > In article ,
    > Jerry McBride wrote:
    >> > It wasn't consumers either, it was the salespeople. The second they heard
    >> > about Warner dropping HD-DVD, they started telling their customers not to
    >> > buy HD-DVD players because it was dead, effectively creating a
    >> > self-fulfilling prophesy.
    >> >

    >> They did the right thing in protecting their customers from a DEAD END
    >> format. God bless them.

    > So you approve of pushing customers toward DRM with a built-in back door
    > that supports patching firmware without notifying the consumer?

    Tim, this abuse of logic has got to stop.

    So you disapprove of pedantry?

    --
    There is no surer sign of decay in a country than to see the rites of religion
    held in contempt.

  8. Re: [News] It's Now (Almost) Confirmed: Microsoft Loses, Blu-Ray Wins

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Jerry McBride wrote:
    >> > It wasn't consumers either, it was the salespeople. The second they
    >> > heard about Warner dropping HD-DVD, they started telling their
    >> > customers not to buy HD-DVD players because it was dead, effectively
    >> > creating a self-fulfilling prophesy.
    >> >

    >> They did the right thing in protecting their customers from a DEAD END
    >> format. God bless them.

    > So you approve of pushing customers toward DRM with a built-in back door
    > that supports patching firmware without notifying the consumer?

    I approve of a format that has twice the capacity on the media and as far as
    the stuff you mentioned... it won't effect me. I run linux, remember? The
    drm is for pre-recorded media...

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

+ Reply to Thread