[News] Cringely's Theory on a Malicious Microsoft Manoeuvre - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Cringely's Theory on a Malicious Microsoft Manoeuvre - Linux ; Cartoon: http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20080215 Plan B: What if Microsoft doesn't really hope to buy Yahoo at all? ,----[ Quote ] | But what if Microsoft wasn't serious about its offer? Well then things start | to get REALLY interesting. | | Certainly ...

  1. [News] Cringely's Theory on a Malicious Microsoft Manoeuvre

    Cartoon: http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20080215

    Plan B: What if Microsoft doesn't really hope to buy Yahoo at all?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | But what if Microsoft wasn't serious about its offer? Well then things start
    | to get REALLY interesting.
    |
    | Certainly Microsoft's offer for Yahoo has thrown that company and several
    | others into a tizzy. Yahoo can't be getting much work done, that's for sure.
    | And if you believe the press reports, AOL and News Corp have been dragged
    | into the strategizing, too, and are subject to disruption. For Yahoo, as the
    | primary target, overall efficiency in the company will have dropped instantly
    | by 20 percent just because people will be talking at the watercooler rather
    | than doing their work. And Yahoo wasn't a very efficient place to begin with.
    | This alone has some value for Microsoft, where I will guarantee you the
    | distraction is far less.
    `----

    http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2...15_004309.html

    Pay careful attention to the first reference below (it came just /days/ before
    the bid). Cringley's (Mark's) message isn't so far-fetched.

    Related:

    Microsoft Calls Out To Yahoo Employee(s)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A member of Microsoft's marketing staffing team has apparently sought out at
    | least one Yahoo worker with a "we'd like to chat" message.
    `----

    http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...ahoo-employees

    Yahoo's Semel steps down as chairman

    ,----[ Quoet ]
    | Terry Semel stepped down as Yahoo Inc.'s chairman Thursday, severing his ties
    | with the slumping Internet icon 7 1/2 months after he resigned as chief
    | executive under shareholder pressure. *
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080201/...te/yahoo_semel

    Yahoos won’t work for Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I work for Yahoo!, and I have had to explain to a few people recently why the
    | Microsoft buyout talks are so troubling for Yahoos. They don’t seem to
    | understand the severity of the impact that a Microsoft takeover will have.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Key reason #1 - Microsoft is anti open-source...
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Key reason #2 - Microsoft is evil...
    `----

    http://www.techyouruniverse.com/tech...-for-microsoft

    Bradley Horowitz bids Yahoo farewell

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Bradley Horowitz, who headed up Yahoo's Advanced Technology division, bid
    | adieu to the company in a blog entry posted on Valentine's Day.
    `----

    Week in review: Yahoo snubs Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "The smell of fear and rage is pervasive on"The smell of fear and rage is
    | pervasive on campus," wrote one News.com reader to the TalkBack forum. "They *
    | might as well have been told the Mansons were buying the place." campus,"
    | wrote one News.com reader to the TalkBack forum. "They might as well have
    | been told the Mansons were buying the place." *
    `----

    http://www.news.com/Week-in-review-Y...0-20&subj=news

  2. Re: [News] Cringely's Theory on a Malicious Microsoft Manoeuvre

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Cartoon: http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20080215
    >
    > Plan B: What if Microsoft doesn't really hope to buy Yahoo at all?
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | But what if Microsoft wasn't serious about its offer? Well then things
    > | start to get REALLY interesting.
    > |
    > | Certainly Microsoft's offer for Yahoo has thrown that company and
    > | several others into a tizzy. Yahoo can't be getting much work done,
    > | that's for sure. And if you believe the press reports, AOL and News Corp
    > | have been dragged into the strategizing, too, and are subject to
    > | disruption. For Yahoo, as the primary target, overall efficiency in the
    > | company will have dropped instantly by 20 percent just because people
    > | will be talking at the watercooler rather than doing their work. And
    > | Yahoo wasn't a very efficient place to begin with. This alone has some
    > | value for Microsoft, where I will guarantee you the distraction is far
    > | less.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2...15_004309.html
    >
    > Pay careful attention to the first reference below (it came just /days/
    > before the bid). Cringley's (Mark's) message isn't so far-fetched.

    If anything its ignoring some of the main issues as to why
    micoshaft is doing what its doing.

    Micoshaft is going into debt with share buy back,
    price collapsing and revenues being sucked out their
    crappy products by Open Office, Linux and the need
    to comply with anti-trust rulings or face ever greater
    fines.

    Micoshaft now needs to sell the idea that it can have negative
    bank balance without collapsing its share price.
    Buying yahoo is the only way to do that.
    It can blame its misfortunes on the sinking
    caused by yahoo. But as it is buying yahoo at an undervalued
    price, the whole thing will have a softer landing because
    yahoo can be asset stripped to recover all that loss at
    the expense of all that is yahoo and what those investors will
    loose.

  3. Re: [News] Cringely's Theory on a Malicious Microsoft Manoeuvre

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 11:29:16 -0500, DFS wrote:

    >> [7] http://boycottnovell.com/2008/02/15/...ion-in-ubuntu/

    > I bet you and Roy have a whole 2 boycotters signed up by now... you and Roy.

    Roy Schestowitz has gone mad!

    He just posted a "Linux has 35 percent of Market" post and used the "web
    stats" from his own boycottnxxxx.com site as proof.

    He posted this on digg as well.

    He must have gone stark raving loony!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [News] Cringely's Theory on a Malicious Microsoft Manoeuvre

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 11:29:16 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >

    >>> [7]
    >>> http://boycottnovell.com/2008/02/15/...ion-in-ubuntu/

    >> I bet you and Roy have a whole 2 boycotters signed up by now... you
    >> and Roy.

    > Roy Schestowitz has gone mad!
    >
    > He just posted a "Linux has 35 percent of Market" post and used the
    > "web stats" from his own boycottnxxxx.com site as proof.

    Right now Linux market share can be measured. Later on today - from 1600
    hours to 1700 hours - you can't measure it.

    > He posted this on digg as well.
    >
    > He must have gone stark raving loony!

    He's desperate for attention and significance in a Windows world.

+ Reply to Thread