[News] R.E.M. Chooses Open Source-type Distribution, FOSS Advocate Speaks Out - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] R.E.M. Chooses Open Source-type Distribution, FOSS Advocate Speaks Out - Linux ; R.E.M. open-sources its music videos: The future of content? ,----[ Quote ] | The future of media isn't amateurs uploading and remixing content. It's also | not a bunch of professionals ramming "culture" down the throats of the mute | ...

  1. [News] R.E.M. Chooses Open Source-type Distribution, FOSS Advocate Speaks Out

    R.E.M. open-sources its music videos: The future of content?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The future of media isn't amateurs uploading and remixing content. It's also
    | not a bunch of professionals ramming "culture" down the throats of the mute
    | masses. It's a combination of the two, iterating toward a collaborative
    | product.
    `----

    http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9...bj=TheOpenRoad

    Open source - and an open mind

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Zymaris was very active in the area of advocacy some years back but that has
    | fallen off somewhat. If truth be told, he is somewhat cynical about those who
    | claim to be advocates nowadays. And there we go off the record, so you,
    | gentle reader, can theorise in any direction you like.
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16646/1148/

    Related:

    Radiohead, 'Juno' blast onto U.S. pop chart

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Radiohead's “In Rainbows” album topped the U.S. sales chart this week,
    | selling 122,000 copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan.
    |
    | It arrived in stores in CD format on New Year's Day, nearly three months
    | after the artsy British rock group unleashed the album to the Web at a cost
    | to be determined by the user -- whatever price fans chose to pay, including
    | nothing at all. * *
    `----

    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/exte...head-juno.html

    CES - Digital music industry challenged to follow fans' lead

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Allowing their music to be distributed through ad-supported online music
    | services is a particularly hard sell for artists who worry that having their
    | work be associated with advertising "devalues" it, Wragg added. *
    `----

    Free Radiohead music pirated

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Big Champagne, a Los-Angeles-based company that tracks illegal downloading on
    | the Internet said that while 1.2 million people legitimately downloaded the
    | album online, 500,000 picked it up from torrent sites. *
    |
    | [....]
    |
    | It has also had more copies sold. Radiohead's previous album sold only
    | 300,000 copies in the first week. *
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...-music-pirated

    Radiohead album bets on fast release, open pricing

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The release of popular rock group Radiohead's new album next week is the
    | latest wake-up call for a music industry still struggling to deal with the
    | advent of digital music, experts say. *
    `----

    http://www.news.com/Radiohead-album-...l?tag=nefd.top

  2. Re: [News] R.E.M. Chooses Open Source-type Distribution, FOSS Advocate Speaks Out

    ____/ [H]omer on Friday 15 February 2008 02:32 : \____

    >> R.E.M. open-sources its music videos: The future of content?

    > The list gets longer... and all big-name bands too!
    >
    > Between this and the rush away from DRM, I'd say the RIAA are finished.

    It's the Cathedral's dilemma. Oracle faces similar threats and so does
    Microsoft. Free code and free content can be exchanged very easily.
    Communication also facilitates better collaboration (SVN/CVS, YouTube, legal
    P2P), so 'the little people' needn't rely on the monarchs or the middlemen.

    The fine thing about this type of capitalism is that the artist of coder
    is /paid directly/ for things like services and concerts. There are
    no 'funnels' in between (you know, that thing which accumulates heaps of
    liquidated cash and lets the artistic types drink from a narrow end, if it
    feels like it).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Linux: stop maintenance; get more actual work done
    Tasks: 157 total, 1 running, 156 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie