How to keep track of fast-changing Linux OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Change is inevitable, and how we deal with it defines us. In the Linux world
| change happens fast, probably faster than any other kernel in history. The
| Penguin is Evolving. How should we deal with this high-speed development?
`----

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Art...g-linux-os.htm

' Linux Next ' Begins To Take Shape

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux next started off as a 'dream' of kernel maintainer Andrew Morton who
| has noted that few kernel developers are testing other kernel developers'
| development code which is leading to some problems.
|
| Morton has proposed a "linux-next" tree that once per day would merge various
| Linux subsystem trees and then run compilation tests after applying each
| tree. While that may sound simple enough, in practice it's no small task.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner...-take-sha.html

Tracking Upcoming Stable Merges

,----[ Quote ]
| "Andrew [Morton] was looking for someone to run a linux-next tree that just
| contained the subsystem git and quilt trees for 2.6.x+1 and I (in a moment of
| madness) volunteered. So, this is to announce the creating of such a tree,"
| began Stephen Rothwell, resulting in a lengthy thread discussing the current
| Linux kernel development process.
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Tracking..._Stable_Merges

"One person in Helsinki can quickly write the core of a sophisticated operating
system."

--John Warden, lead attorney at Microsoft

Recent:

The future of Linux: what it means for Wikipedia

,----[ Quote ]
| Kernel release 2.6.24 came out on January 24, just before linux.conf.au
| began. Corbet estimates 2.6.25 will be finalised sometime around April.
|
| That rapid cycle represents an astonishing volume of new code. "We are adding
| about 2000 lines of code to the kernel every single day of the year, without
| exception," Corbet said. "Nobody can really keep up with this [on their own]
| any more. It's an amazing process, and it seems to be working." *
|
| The project which those numbers immediately bring to mind is Wikipedia, which
| uses similar open source principles, along with an "anyone can contribute"
| ethos. *
`----

http://apcmag.com/7924/the_future_of...bout_wikipedia

Kernel Rate of Change