Difference B/w Process and Task - Linux

This is a discussion on Difference B/w Process and Task - Linux ; Hi , Can any one please clarify the difference between a process and task? As far as i know , process is a program in execution , and Task is another name for process in an embedded environment, because i ...

  1. Difference B/w Process and Task

    Hi ,

    Can any one please clarify the difference between a process and
    task?

    As far as i know , process is a program in execution , and Task is
    another
    name for process in an embedded environment, because i have seen the
    term task only in the case of RTOS. Is my understanding correct?

    With Regards
    Anwar

  2. Re: Difference B/w Process and Task

    vhanwaribrahim@gmail.com wrote:

    > Can any one please clarify the difference between a process
    > and task?
    >
    > As far as i know , process is a program in execution , and
    > Task is another name for process in an embedded environment,
    > because i have seen the term task only in the case of RTOS. Is
    > my understanding correct?

    Task = program loaded into memory for execution.

    Process = what the program is accomplishing.

    --
    HPT

  3. Re: Difference B/w Process and Task

    High Plains Thumper writes:

    > vhanwaribrahim@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >> Can any one please clarify the difference between a process
    >> and task?
    >>
    >> As far as i know , process is a program in execution , and
    >> Task is another name for process in an embedded environment,
    >> because i have seen the term task only in the case of RTOS. Is
    >> my understanding correct?

    > Task = program loaded into memory for execution.
    >
    > Process = what the program is accomplishing.

    This is, of course, complete rubbish.

    As even a look as "man ps" will tell you.

    A program can be many processes/tasks.

    The kernel vocabulary muddies the waters some more:

    http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=370047

    Sorry Rafael, but no cigar. Again.

    Doh.

  4. Re: Difference B/w Process and Task

    On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 02:28:53 -0700, High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >vhanwaribrahim@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >> Can any one please clarify the difference between a process
    >> and task?
    >>
    >> As far as i know , process is a program in execution , and
    >> Task is another name for process in an embedded environment,
    >> because i have seen the term task only in the case of RTOS. Is
    >> my understanding correct?

    >Task = program loaded into memory for execution.

    >Process = what the program is accomplishing.

    and visa versa

+ Reply to Thread