[News] Novell Welcomes Microsoft to Linux Conference Invasion - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Novell Welcomes Microsoft to Linux Conference Invasion - Linux ; Open Source breaking barriers ,----[ Quote ] | Today, though the two approaches hold on to their principles, they see a need | to co-exist. That was the strong message that emerged from this year’s Open | Source Week India ...

  1. [News] Novell Welcomes Microsoft to Linux Conference Invasion

    Open Source breaking barriers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Today, though the two approaches hold on to their principles, they see a need
    | to co-exist. That was the strong message that emerged from this year’s Open
    | Source Week India — one of the largest open source event held at Bangalore,
    | started by Forum for Open Source Initiative in India (FOSI).
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Surely, the presence of Microsoft, viewed as the chief proponent of
    | proprietary model, in the event is the sign that times are changing. Sandeep
    | Menon, Country Manager, Novell India, points to the collaboration his company
    | has got with Microsoft that allows Windows and Suse Linux to become
    | interoperable with Windows platform, particularly in enterprise segment. “A
    | few years ago, any suggestion to this effect would have been laughed off,”
    | said Sandeep.
    `----

    http://www.deccanherald.com/Content/...8021251906.asp

    Related:

    "Microsoft seems to have hijacked Linux Asia"

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Was the general feel amongst the attendees at Linux Asia 2007;
    | MS however, just wanted to say ''let us walk hand-in-hand''
    `----

    http://www.ciol.com/content/develope.../107020104.asp

    Novell's .Net moment

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Novell has struggled to compete in the open-source world. Combining with
    | Microsoft hasn't helped. So why not, as Dave suggests, link up with
    | Microsoft's .Net code to build an ecosystem around it that would complement
    | Microsoft's own efforts to do so? *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Let's face it: there are still hordes of developers out there who love
    | Microsoft and would probably prefer to create open-source projects
    | around .Net instead of Java or the LAMP stack. Novell could orchestrate this
    | since Microsoft appears to have a PR problem with doing so. *
    `----

    http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9...bj=TheOpenRoad

    Novell: 'No One Can Stop Us From Selling Linux'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It was reported that those changes would preclude the inclusion of Linux in
    | third party distribution deals such as the one Novell recently signed with
    | Microsoft and "ban" Novell from selling future versions of Linux.
    `----

    http://www.informationweek.com/story...SSfeed_IWK_All

    All sides of the debate?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | How many sides are there in the OOXML debate? What if all sides are Microsoft
    | and Microsoft business partners?
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Dough Mahugh (Microsoft) :
    |
    | Next week's XML 2007 conference in Boston features speakers from all
    | sides of the document format debate, including a document interop session
    | with Miguel de Icaza (Novell) and Vijay Rajagopalan (Microsoft) that I
    | expect will offer a lively discussion around Open XML, ODF, and XML-based
    | interoperability in general.
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-29108...-of-the-debate

    Miguel, Mono and Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | is Mono's role in the deal that of a hook to make customers write
    | .NET applications because they can be run on Linux - only to find
    | later on that they are armless or legless because of a change in
    | the .NETspecifications, a change which Microsoft decides not to
    | make public?
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | And here we have an individual who decides to replicate one of
    | the proprietary company's development environments - for reasons
    | best known to him alone - and keeps telling people that the reason
    | he's doing it is so that he can pull people over from the
    | proprietary company's side to his side!!!
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?o...81&Itemid=1091

    Available Now: OpenOffice.org Novell Edition for Windows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Let's consider a couple of the features that you get in the Novell
    | Edition but are not likely to have been integrated into upstream OOo yet:
    |
    | * Excel VBA Macro execution
    | * Performance improvements
    | * AGFA fonts
    | * Better Bullets (now in upstream OOo)
    | * Simple Solver
    | * GroupWise integration
    `----

    http://reverendted.wordpress.com/200...e-for-windows/

  2. Re: [News] Novell Welcomes Microsoft to Linux Conference Invasion

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Open Source breaking barriers
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Today, though the two approaches hold on to their principles, they see a need
    >| to co-exist. That was the strong message that emerged from this year?s Open
    >| Source Week India ? one of the largest open source event held at Bangalore,
    >| started by Forum for Open Source Initiative in India (FOSI).
    >|
    >| [...]
    >|
    >| Surely, the presence of Microsoft, viewed as the chief proponent of
    >| proprietary model, in the event is the sign that times are changing. Sandeep
    >| Menon, Country Manager, Novell India, points to the collaboration his company
    >| has got with Microsoft that allows Windows and Suse Linux to become
    >| interoperable with Windows platform, particularly in enterprise segment. ?A
    >| few years ago, any suggestion to this effect would have been laughed off,?
    >| said Sandeep.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.deccanherald.com/Content/...8021251906.asp

    The article is not quite right. They do not "see a need to co-exist",
    rather, Microsoft see a need to limit the expansion of foss as far as
    possible, and making such claims is one method of achieving this.