[News] New Linux SDK Released by Google, Success Expected - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] New Linux SDK Released by Google, Success Expected - Linux ; Google updates Android software development kit ,----[ Quote ] | Google released an update to the SDK (software development kit) for Android, | its mobile-phone operating system. `---- http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/...velopment.html Your next phone could run Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Since ...

  1. [News] New Linux SDK Released by Google, Success Expected

    `----

    http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/...velopment.html

    Your next phone could run Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Since Android has been demo’d running live on processors and chipsets from TI
    | and Qualcomm, the platform is technically ready for manufacturers to develop
    | and prototype the solution. We can expect some Android devices at next year’s
    | MWC. Should Sarin’s vision of four or five operating systems come true, Linux
    | is a safe bet as one of them.
    `----

    http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2139

    The previews look impressive. iPhone is closed, expensive and it is likely to
    fall behind Google.

    Video:

    Google Android dev kit exposes Apple-inspired roots

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The release to developers of Google's Linux-based Android operating system
    | for mobile phones reveals that the prototype software shares at least a few
    | aspects in common with interfaces from the company's Bay Area neighbor,
    | Apple. *
    `----

    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...red_roots.html

    Related:

    Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
    | didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
    | the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
    | numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
    | handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] New Linux SDK Released by Google, Success Expected

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Google updates Android software development kit
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Google released an update to the SDK (software development kit) for Android,
    >| its mobile-phone operating system.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/...velopment.html
    >
    > Your next phone could run Linux
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Since Android has been demo?d running live on processors and chipsets from TI
    >| and Qualcomm, the platform is technically ready for manufacturers to develop
    >| and prototype the solution. We can expect some Android devices at next year?s
    >| MWC. Should Sarin?s vision of four or five operating systems come true, Linux
    >| is a safe bet as one of them.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2139
    >
    > The previews look impressive. iPhone is closed, expensive and it is likely to
    > fall behind Google.

    The critical thing is to get some good 3G phones running Linux.
    EDGE/2.5G is far too dated for any market apart from the US/Canada, as
    Apple and Motorola have been discovering.

  3. Re: [News] New Linux SDK Released by Google, Success Expected

    ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 14 February 2008 11:36 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> Google updates Android software development kit
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Google released an update to the SDK (software development kit) for
    >>| Android, its mobile-phone operating system.
    >> `----

    http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/...velopment.html

    >> Your next phone could run Linux
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Since Android has been demo?d running live on processors and chipsets from
    >>| TI and Qualcomm, the platform is technically ready for manufacturers to
    >>| develop and prototype the solution. We can expect some Android devices at
    >>| next year?s MWC. Should Sarin?s vision of four or five operating systems
    >>| come true, Linux is a safe bet as one of them.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2139
    >>
    >> The previews look impressive. iPhone is closed, expensive and it is likely
    >> to fall behind Google.
    >>

    > The critical thing is to get some good 3G phones running Linux.
    > EDGE/2.5G is far too dated for any market apart from the US/Canada, as
    > Apple and Motorola have been discovering.

    Motorola has indeed been trying this for quite some time and it was getting
    some flak for failing to do so even with a thousand of so engineers. The good
    news comes from early this week, namely:

    1. 3G Linux Smartphone Open Source Code to be Contributed

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | SYSOPENDIGIA has said that it will contribute back to open source the
    | software the company created and modified for a 3G Linux smartphone.
    `----

    http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/m...be-contributed

    2. Samsung design-in excites NXP CEO van Houten

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | NXP CEO Frans van Houten has descirbed Samsung's decision to use it as a 3G
    | chipset supplier as an "exciting step" for the chip firm. *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The reference phone is based on the NXP Nexperia Cellular System Solution
    | 7210 for 3G, coupled with the Purple Labs Linux suite.
    `----

    http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Art...van-houten.htm

    A bit older, but maybe of interest to you nonetheless:

    Linux powers pair of 3G dual-mode phones

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | MontaVista says its device-oriented Linux operating system was
    | used in two new 3G business smartphones from Italian handset
    | designer Enteos.
    `----

    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | GPL'd 3-D Othello: http://othellomaster.com
    Tasks: 126 total, 1 running, 124 sleeping, 0 stopped, 1 zombie

  4. Re: [News] New Linux SDK Released by Google, Success Expected

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 14 February 2008 11:36 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> Google updates Android software development kit
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>

    > http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/...velopment.html
    >>>
    >>> Your next phone could run Linux
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2139
    >>>
    >>> The previews look impressive. iPhone is closed, expensive and it is likely
    >>> to fall behind Google.
    >>>

    >> The critical thing is to get some good 3G phones running Linux.
    >> EDGE/2.5G is far too dated for any market apart from the US/Canada, as
    >> Apple and Motorola have been discovering.

    > Motorola has indeed been trying this for quite some time and it was getting
    > some flak for failing to do so even with a thousand of so engineers. The good
    > news comes from early this week, namely:
    >
    > 1. 3G Linux Smartphone Open Source Code to be Contributed
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| SYSOPENDIGIA has said that it will contribute back to open source the
    >| software the company created and modified for a 3G Linux smartphone.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/m...be-contributed

    Motorola were also getting quite a bit of flak for failing to make their
    phones just a little more open. There's been a lot of debate around
    this, and there certainly is some argument with respect to network
    security, however, I think allowing java-only is not necessarily the
    best approach!

    Still, I very much like my Motorola A780, and the GPS capability can be
    quite handy, although for car navigation, my TomTom 910 appears to be
    more or less the ultimate GPS.

    > 2. Samsung design-in excites NXP CEO van Houten
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| NXP CEO Frans van Houten has descirbed Samsung's decision to use it as a 3G
    >| chipset supplier as an "exciting step" for the chip firm. *
    >|
    >| [...]
    >|
    >| The reference phone is based on the NXP Nexperia Cellular System Solution
    >| 7210 for 3G, coupled with the Purple Labs Linux suite.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Art...van-houten.htm
    >

    > A bit older, but maybe of interest to you nonetheless:
    >
    > Linux powers pair of 3G dual-mode phones
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| MontaVista says its device-oriented Linux operating system was
    >| used in two new 3G business smartphones from Italian handset
    >| designer Enteos.
    > `----

    Excellent!