€ 2 scheme for teachers and students for StarOffice

,----[ Quote ]
| Maltese students and teachers can purchase StarOffice applications software
| for a once-only payment of €2.
`----

http://www.maltamedia.com/artman2/pu...cle_5033.shtml

They could get it for free with Google Pack.

Related:

IBM Linux education programme [in Malta]

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the ICT education initiatives is the Linux Education
| Programme, through which 60 persons who already work in the
| ICT industry ambit will certify themselves as Linux Entry
| Level Administrators.
`----

http://www.independent.com.mt/news.asp?newsitemid=48291

Leo Brincat's missionary zeal - Malta and Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| While Labour "studies" what its weekly half-hour trip on the internet
| gives it, we are developing areas where we think the benefits of
| open-source technology can really make a difference.
|
| [...]
|
| Moreover, should he have researched even further he would have also
| realised that we are taking our open standards policy even a step further
| and extending it to cut across different technological platforms such as we
| recently did with the eGovernment Web Framework when we extended it to
| cover also Oracle technologies and are currently preparing for its final
| extension into Linux.
`----

http://www.independent.com.mt/news.asp?newsitemid=44531

French students to get open-source software on USB key

,----[ Quote ]
| French authorities will give out 175,000 USB memory sticks
| loaded with open-source software to Parisian high-school
| students at the start of the next school year.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20...nfoworld/85707

Free Ubuntu laptops for French students

,----[ Quote ]
| Five thousand French students now have laptops running
| Ubuntu, thanks to a local government initiative.
`----

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/597
http://linuxfr.org/2006/10/16/21479.html

Supinfo ambitionne de certifier 10.000 étudiants sur SuSE Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Tous les étudiants de la prestigieuse école d'informatique Supinfo seront
| certifiés sur Suse Linux Enterprise dans les 5 prochaines années * * * * *
`---- * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

http://www.silicon.fr/fr/news/2007/1...tions_sur_suse

173 000 French students and 40 000 teachers to get Firefox on a USB key

| Jean-Paul Huchon, president of the Région Ile de France (the greater Paris
| local government) has announced yesterday that his administration has started *
| distributing 220 000 USB keys with Free and Open-Source software on it,
| including Firefox. The recipients are mostly students (173 000 of them) and
| teachers (40 000). *
`----

http://standblog.org/blog/post/2007/...x-on-a-USB-key

French Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries Choose Mandriva

,----[ Quote ]
| The Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries chose to migrate its local
| servers (about 400 machines) from Windows NT Server to Mandriva
| Corporate Server 4.0, within two years.
`----

http://www.mandriva.com/company/pres...hoose_mandriva

France pins hopes of growth on open-source software

,----[ Quote ]
| The French government plans to make the region around Paris a center of
| excellence for open-source software development, the French Minister of the
| Economy, Finance and Industry, Thierry Breton, said Monday.
`----

http://open.itworld.com/4915/061205f...en/page_1.html

French National Assembly switches to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux, OpenOffice and Firefox favoured
|
| [...]
|
| One deputy in favour of the move is Bernard Carayon, commissioned by
| the Prime Minister earlier this year to report on how European
| businesses could play a greater role in developing global industrial
| standards, in order to reduce Europe's economic dependance on other
| regions.
`----

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=7687

French consumer group attacks PC software bundling

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articl...mktNews&rpc=44
http://tinyurl.com/yf7kfu