Microsoft: Critical patch goes missing

,----[ Quote ]
| Busy day for IT departments but key fix goes AWOL
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/techn...fm?newsid=7467

Microsoft dishes out six critical updates

,----[ Quote ]
| They all focus on flaws in the programs that could allow remote code
| execution. Affected systems are those running Windows XP, Windows Vista and
| Windows Server 2003
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02...sday_february/

All the decent engineers have left (links below). They don't know what the heck
they're doing.

Days ago:

Microsoft fixes 17 flaws in 11 patches; 6 are 'critical'

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft on Tuesday released its February 2008 security bulletin, which
| includes 11 bulletins, six of which are deemed "critical" by Microsoft, while
| five are deemed "important." One bulletin, suggested in the advance notice
| posted Thursday, failed to be released Tuesday. *
`----

Related:

A test for Microsoft's managerial meddling

,----[ Quote ]
| Will interference by the Redmond empire drive its hottest acquired talent to
| jump ship?
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...D&siteid=yhoof

Commentary: Redmond bosses again show they can't handle creative types

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...D&siteid=yhoof
http://tinyurl.com/3ajxhg

MS Insider: The Office Crew Isn't Smart Enough to Supplant Real Windows
Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| "With Alchin retiring, MarkL and MarkZ, two of the most talented
| architects in MS already having left, the picture gets really
| ugly for the Windows division," my friend claimed, and the BV's
| core team members, Ian McDonald, Jack Mayo, Todd Wanke, Clyde
| Rodriguez and others are starting to connect the dots.
|
| [...]
|
| He concluded ominously. "A trainwreck of biblical proportions looms.
| Pick a good seat on the sidelines, trainwrecks this large take
| awhile to complete. Vista may be the last MS OS for some time to
| come, especially if Cutler decides to play hardball."
`----

http://www.emailbattles.com/2006/09/...ws-developers/
http://tinyurl.com/35eqrt

Microsoft's Revolving Internet Door: The Talent Brain Drain Continues

,----[ Quote ]
| Robert Scoble, a very high profile blogger for Microsoft who left the
| firm a few months ago, reports that Microsoft's talent drain is
| continuing.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/07...9_id.html?.v=1

Former Project Manager of Excel:

,----[ Quote ]
| The only way Microsoft has managed to hire so many people
| has been by lowering their hiring standards significantly...
`----

Microsoft quietly tackles known Wi-Fi flaw

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has quietly posted an update found here. The update
| prevents a Windows wireless client on a laptop from advertising
| its preferred wireless network list to the world at large.
|
| But the update appears to leave open the larger problem, which
| is having your laptop connect to a criminal rogue access point
| with the same default name as one of your preferred home networks.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10789_3-614...0-20&subj=news

Vista SP1 will contain undocumented fixes

,----[ Quote ]
| Interesting email in today mailbag: *“Will SP1 contain undisclosed or
| undocumented security fixes?”
|
| For some people, counting the number of security flaws that one OS has
| compared to another is important because it offers a metric upon which to *
| determine which OS is the most secure (personally, I feel that it’s a bogus
| metric, but I’ll let it slide for now). *However, many claim that Microsoft
| stacks the deck in its favor by not disclosing a full list of vulnerabilities
| that have been patched by omitting to include those discovered and patched
| in-house. * * *
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1225

Critical Vulnerability in Microsoft Metrics

,----[ Quote ]
| This is a small subset of all the vulnerabilities, because the
| vulnerabilities that are found through the QA process and the vulnerabilities
| that are found by the security folks they engage as contractors to perform
| penetration testing are fixed in service packs and major updates. For
| Microsoft this makes sense because these fixes get the benefit of a full test
| pass which is much more robust for a service pack or major release than it is
| for a security update. * * *
`----

http://blog.mozilla.com/security/200...osoft-metrics/

http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowa...00/PX03096.pdf

Skeletons in Microsoft’s Patch Day closet

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the first time I’ve seen Microsoft prominently admit to silently
| fixing vulnerabilities in its bulletins — a controversial practice that
| effectively reduces the number of publicly documented bug fixes (for those
| keeping count) and affects patch management/deployment decisions. *
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=316

Beware of undisclosed Microsoft patches

,----[ Quote ]
| Forget for a moment whether Microsoft is throwing off patch counts
| that Microsoft brass use to compare its security record with those
| of its competitors. What do you think of Redmond’s silent patching
| practice?
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=527

Microsoft is Counting Bugs Again