Novell acquires local company

,----[ Quote ]
| Novell Inc. said Wednesday it has acquired SiteScape Inc., a company that
| specializes in open source team collaboration products.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/080213/1590623.html?.v=1

Novell SUSE Linux mainframe starter kit passes security muster

,----[ Quote ]
| Novell SUSE Linux rules the mainframe
|
| But according to Clabby, this is yet another way for Novell to strengthen its
| hold on the Linux mainframe market, which it dominates. According to Novell's
| Steinman, "three-quarters of Linux running on the mainframe is running on
| SUSE," while Clabby thinks it might even be more, a "stronghold 80% share or
| so."
`----

http://searchdatacenter.techtarget.c...299379,00.html

Recent:

Red Hat announces SAP-certified mainframe apps

,----[ Quote ]
| People have been predicting the death of the mainframe for more years than
| the mainframe has been around.
|
| Thanks to Linux, though, the mainframe is as strong as ever, and now Red Hat
| has announced that SAP has certified its SAP Business Suite family of
| business applications and the SAP NetWeaver platform on RHEL (Red Hat
| Enterprise Linux) running on IBM System z mainframes. *
`----

Red Hat Announces SAP Has Certified Its Applications on Red Hat Enterprise
Linux Running on IBM System z Mainframes

,----[ Quote ]
| SAP's certification of its solutions on Red Hat Enterprise Linux is part of
| the worldwide Linux-on-Mainframe program led by IBM and Red Hat. The program
| was initiated in May 2007 as a result of the increasing deployment of Red Hat
| Enterprise Linux on mainframes by governments and companies worldwide that
| are taking advantage of the potential economic value, security and
| energy-efficiency benefits of the joint platform. * *
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/080205/20080205005283.html?.v=1

Related:

Microsoft to IBM: Tolerate PSI Mainframes or Quit Europe

,----[ Quote ]
| If you think Microsoft has an aversion to Article 82 of the European Treaty,
| the anti-monopoly law that forced it to open some Windows server APIs and
| also to live with others' media players on desktops, think again. Microsoft
| is backing Platform Solutions (PSI) in an Article 82 action that could loosen
| IBM's grip on the mainframe. If PSI is given the keys to every glass house in
| Europe, Microsoft will be one of its principal guests. In fact, PSI could get
| more from IBM than it wanted when it first announced mainframe-compatible
| systems.Last November 27, PSI announced that it had raised more than $37
| million in additional capital, and that one of the companies in the deal was
| Microsoft. Other investors in PSI include Intel, Blueprint Ventures, Goldman
| Sachs, InterWest Partners, and InvestCorp. * * * * *
`----

http://www.itjungle.com/big/big011508-story01.html

Enterprise Unix Roundup: EU vs. Microsoft vs. IBM *

,----[ Quote ]
| Over on IT Jungle, I just read an interesting story about how Microsoft is
| (by proxy) cleverly using the same law that was just smacked over its head
| for Windows market dominance against IBM's mainframe base in Europe. *
|
| The story, by Hesh Wiener, is a fascinating look into the world of
| litigation-as-business-strategy, and details the complaint filed by Platform
| Solutions (PSI) against IBM for violating Article 82 of the European
| Commission (EC) Treaty. The complaint was filed, according to a Dec. 18
| Reuters story, way back on Oct. 19. * *
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/eur/article.php/3722066

User-group study: Mainframes live on through SOA

,----[ Quote ]
| Mainframes like IBM's System z are integral to SOA almost by default because
| they contain a large portion of the world's business information, the study
| suggests. Thirty percent of respondents who work for companies with 10,000 or
| more employees said between 51 percent and 75 percent of their company's data
| is managed and stored on a mainframe, according to the study. * *
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...ugh-SOA_1.html

IBM Faces EU Antitrust Complaint by Mainframe Maker [friend of Microsoft]

,----[ Quote ]
| International Business Machines Corp., the world's biggest computer-services
| company, is accused in a European Union complaint filed by a
| mainframe-computer maker of refusing to supply data needed for compatible
| products. *
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...4&refer=europe

IBM upgrades z/VSE mainframe OS for wider ecommerce and Linux use

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM has upgraded its z/VSE mainframe operating system to further support
| ecommerce and widening Linux use.
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articl...-and-linux.htm

Big Iron lives on

,----[ Quote ]
| These Linux-only processors are priced approximately 90 percent
| lower than a processor utilised for a traditional mainframe workload.
`----

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...SS&NewsID=9369

Top 500 Supers: Moore's Law Is Alive and Well

,----[ Quote ]
| There are two Windows-based clusters, and 42 machines that run a mix
| of operating systems--and one of those operating systems in the mix is
| always a Linux and the other is a variant of Unix. If you want to be
| fair, Linux is represented on 86 percent of the machines...
`----

http://www.itjungle.com/tlb/tlb071007-story02.html

Linux drives a mainframe revival

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux may not be everyone?s idea of a mainframe operating system,
| but for a growing number of large and medium-sized businesses
| the synergy between Linux and big iron is the solution to as
| ignificant problem.
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/Feeds/...me+revival.htm
http://tinyurl.com/tdjgr

Mainframe in comeback mode

,----[ Quote ]
| We have over 1,300 independent software vendors who work with the
| Mainframe. We have 300 to 400 in the Linux arena. We have many
| business partners and some integrators too, that we work with.
`----

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...0100110300.htm

IBM and Oracle Agreement Strengthens Mainframe Computing, IDC Says

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM and Oracle announced this initiative to collaborate on the sales
| and marketing of a series of enterprise business solutions with
| Oracle applications and technology for Linux on System z on
| October 24, 2006. It targets the business requirements of large
| and medium size enterprise customers and meets growing marketd
| emand, complementing a series of investments IBM and Oracle have
| made in support of Linux as an enterprise application platform.
`----

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release...ease_id=207879

Linux-on-Mainframe Apps Up 100%: IBM

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM recently reported a 390% jump in mainframe sites running Linux.
| It says more than 60% of its mainframe revenue is now coming from
| new workloads, with approximately 20% of the revenue and 30% of the
| MIPS coming from Linux customers, which is what has the ISVs
| interested.
`----

http://issj.sys-con.com/read/317754.htm

IBM touts mainframes to India