Which "advocate" slinks away the most? - Linux

This is a discussion on Which "advocate" slinks away the most? - Linux ; Snit wrote: > "cc" stated in post > f067b186-76bb-4155-a746-bd7aa09b3a94...oglegroups.com on 2/13/08 > 3:07 PM: > >> On Feb 13, 4:27 pm, Snit wrote: >>> "Rick" stated in post 13r6mopi8jg9...@news.supernews.com >>> on 2/13/08 1:42 PM: >>> >>>> Snit wrote: >>>>> "DFS" ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 56

Thread: Which "advocate" slinks away the most?

  1. Re: Which "advocate" slinks away the most?

    Snit wrote:
    > "cc" stated in post
    > f067b186-76bb-4155-a746-bd7aa09b3a94...oglegroups.com on 2/13/08
    > 3:07 PM:
    >
    >> On Feb 13, 4:27 pm, Snit wrote:
    >>> "Rick" stated in post 13r6mopi8jg9...@news.supernews.com
    >>> on 2/13/08 1:42 PM:
    >>>
    >>>> Snit wrote:
    >>>>> "DFS" stated in post
    >>>>> TrEsj.71282$vt2.34...@bignews8.bellsouth.net on 2/13/08 8:57 AM:
    >>>>>> Probably Rex Ballard, but it's hard to say for sure since virtually all
    >>>>>> cola
    >>>>>> nuts run away as soon as you ask them for proof of their idiotic lies and
    >>>>>> claims.
    >>>>> My current vote is for Rick... he simply makes up things, shows no
    >>>>> understanding, and frankly goes out of his way to prove how over his head
    >>>>> he
    >>>>> is.
    >>>> Liar.
    >>> Well, then, you should be able to answer a simple question without
    >>> contradicting yourself:
    >>>
    >>> Is the UI of PCLOS (pick all that apply):
    >>> A) A combination of different competing UIs, and thus "fractured"
    >>> B) A consistent and good UI that promotes productivity and efficiency
    >>> C) Something that does not matter to the user
    >>> D) Something that matters enough to the user where there is a push
    >>> to make programs designed for different environments run
    >>> more consistently
    >>>
    >>> The answers, for what it is worth, are clearly A and D. But you are so far
    >>> in over you head you will not even be willing to answer. Really - you are
    >>> that predictable.
    >>>

    >> Rick's a dumbass for sure, but that stupid question is open to
    >> personal preference. If he says B, what does that prove? You can't say
    >> he's wrong.

    >
    > B is, clearly not correct. The UI of PCLOS is a combination of multiple
    > competing UIs and others that do not conform to either... at shown by at
    > least *four* different Save As dialogs on GUI programs easily accessible
    > from its menu. That is not consistent and, clearly, as a whole does not
    > promote productivity and efficiency (clearly true even if all were good).
    > To make matters worse some of the dialogs are close but have their buttons
    > swapped - that is begging for trouble.
    >
    > But the point is that Rick does not know enough to answer...


    ... except I do know enough to answer, and I did answer.

    > note how he will not even try.


    Note that iIdid answer

    > Even he knows he is over his head.


    Except I am not in over my head.

    >
    >> I'll say C, because I don't give a **** about PCLOS.

    >
    > If you were all users, sure... but you are not. Clearly the question was
    > not focused on you as the user but users in general.
    >


  2. Re: Which "advocate" slinks away the most?

    "Rick" stated in post 13r6v9eac6vr03@news.supernews.com on
    2/13/08 4:28 PM:

    > On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 14:27:12 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" stated in post
    >> 13r6mopi8jg95c1@news.supernews.com on 2/13/08 1:42 PM:
    >>
    >>> Snit wrote:
    >>>> "DFS" stated in post
    >>>> TrEsj.71282$vt2.34610@bignews8.bellsouth.net on 2/13/08 8:57 AM:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Probably Rex Ballard, but it's hard to say for sure since virtually
    >>>>> all cola nuts run away as soon as you ask them for proof of their
    >>>>> idiotic lies and claims.
    >>>>
    >>>> My current vote is for Rick... he simply makes up things, shows no
    >>>> understanding, and frankly goes out of his way to prove how over his
    >>>> head he is.
    >>>>
    >>> Liar.

    >>
    >> Well, then, you should be able to answer a simple question without
    >> contradicting yourself:
    >>
    >> Is the UI of PCLOS (pick all that apply): A) A combination of different
    >> competing UIs, and thus "fractured"

    >
    > Your premise is either flawed, or OS X is also fractured.


    Incorrect - as has been beaten to death. If you think my oft-repeated
    refutation is wrong then say why. As if you could! It would take you
    actually understanding the topic being discussed!

    >> B) A consistent and good UI that promotes productivity and efficiency

    >
    > several good UIs that promote productivity and efficiency.


    You can pick one... to have both is a detriment.

    >> C) Something that does not matter to the user

    >
    >> D) Something that matters enough to the user where there is
    >> a push to make programs designed for different environments run more
    >> consistently

    >
    > KDE and Gnome teams are working on compatibility.


    And do you know why? I bet not! But you are right - they are... and that
    will likely help the UI of many distros. I look forward to it. Will likely
    boost the number of people using Linux - if they do it well.

    >> The answers, for what it is worth, are clearly A and D. But you are so
    >> far in over you head you will not even be willing to answer. Really -
    >> you are that predictable.
    >>
    >> Oh, and if you feel you need some explanatory text that is OK - I am no
    >> trying to push you into any false dichotomy.





    --
    What do you call people who are afraid of Santa Claus? Claustrophobic.


  3. Re: Which "advocate" slinks away the most?

    "Rick" stated in post 13r6vhnl6l6ht90@news.supernews.com
    on 2/13/08 4:33 PM:

    > Snit wrote:
    >> "cc" stated in post
    >> f067b186-76bb-4155-a746-bd7aa09b3a94...oglegroups.com on 2/13/08
    >> 3:07 PM:
    >>
    >>> On Feb 13, 4:27 pm, Snit wrote:
    >>>> "Rick" stated in post 13r6mopi8jg9...@news.supernews.com
    >>>> on 2/13/08 1:42 PM:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Snit wrote:
    >>>>>> "DFS" stated in post
    >>>>>> TrEsj.71282$vt2.34...@bignews8.bellsouth.net on 2/13/08 8:57 AM:
    >>>>>>> Probably Rex Ballard, but it's hard to say for sure since virtually all
    >>>>>>> cola
    >>>>>>> nuts run away as soon as you ask them for proof of their idiotic lies
    >>>>>>> and
    >>>>>>> claims.
    >>>>>> My current vote is for Rick... he simply makes up things, shows no
    >>>>>> understanding, and frankly goes out of his way to prove how over his head
    >>>>>> he
    >>>>>> is.
    >>>>> Liar.
    >>>> Well, then, you should be able to answer a simple question without
    >>>> contradicting yourself:
    >>>>
    >>>> Is the UI of PCLOS (pick all that apply):
    >>>> A) A combination of different competing UIs, and thus "fractured"
    >>>> B) A consistent and good UI that promotes productivity and efficiency
    >>>> C) Something that does not matter to the user
    >>>> D) Something that matters enough to the user where there is a push
    >>>> to make programs designed for different environments run
    >>>> more consistently
    >>>>
    >>>> The answers, for what it is worth, are clearly A and D. But you are so far
    >>>> in over you head you will not even be willing to answer. Really - you are
    >>>> that predictable.
    >>>>
    >>> Rick's a dumbass for sure, but that stupid question is open to
    >>> personal preference. If he says B, what does that prove? You can't say
    >>> he's wrong.

    >>
    >> B is, clearly not correct. The UI of PCLOS is a combination of multiple
    >> competing UIs and others that do not conform to either... at shown by at
    >> least *four* different Save As dialogs on GUI programs easily accessible
    >> from its menu. That is not consistent and, clearly, as a whole does not
    >> promote productivity and efficiency (clearly true even if all were good).
    >> To make matters worse some of the dialogs are close but have their buttons
    >> swapped - that is begging for trouble.
    >>
    >> But the point is that Rick does not know enough to answer...

    >
    > .. except I do know enough to answer, and I did answer.


    You did try... and I congratulate you for that. In your answer, however,
    you did show ignorance of the issues - so I was only half wrong.

    >> note how he will not even try.

    >
    > Note that iIdid answer


    Correct - and I stand corrected on that.

    >> Even he knows he is over his head.

    >
    > Except I am not in over my head.


    Read your answers... they show you are.

    >>> I'll say C, because I don't give a **** about PCLOS.

    >>
    >> If you were all users, sure... but you are not. Clearly the question was
    >> not focused on you as the user but users in general.
    >>




    --
    "Uh... ask me after we ship the next version of Windows [laughs] then I'll
    be more open to give you a blunt answer." - Bill Gates



  4. Re: Which "advocate" slinks away the most?

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 16:55:29 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > 13r6vhnl6l6ht90@news.supernews.com on 2/13/08 4:33 PM:
    >
    >> Snit wrote:
    >>> "cc" stated in post
    >>> f067b186-76bb-4155-a746-bd7aa09b3a94...oglegroups.com on
    >>> 2/13/08 3:07 PM:
    >>>
    >>>> On Feb 13, 4:27 pm, Snit wrote:
    >>>>> "Rick" stated in post
    >>>>> 13r6mopi8jg9...@news.supernews.com on 2/13/08 1:42 PM:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> Snit wrote:
    >>>>>>> "DFS" stated in post
    >>>>>>> TrEsj.71282$vt2.34...@bignews8.bellsouth.net on 2/13/08 8:57 AM:
    >>>>>>>> Probably Rex Ballard, but it's hard to say for sure since
    >>>>>>>> virtually all cola
    >>>>>>>> nuts run away as soon as you ask them for proof of their idiotic
    >>>>>>>> lies and
    >>>>>>>> claims.
    >>>>>>> My current vote is for Rick... he simply makes up things, shows no
    >>>>>>> understanding, and frankly goes out of his way to prove how over
    >>>>>>> his head he
    >>>>>>> is.
    >>>>>> Liar.
    >>>>> Well, then, you should be able to answer a simple question without
    >>>>> contradicting yourself:
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Is the UI of PCLOS (pick all that apply): A) A combination of
    >>>>> different competing UIs, and thus "fractured" B) A consistent and
    >>>>> good UI that promotes productivity and efficiency C) Something that
    >>>>> does not matter to the user D) Something that matters enough to the
    >>>>> user where there is a push
    >>>>> to make programs designed for different environments run more
    >>>>> consistently
    >>>>>
    >>>>> The answers, for what it is worth, are clearly A and D. But you are
    >>>>> so far in over you head you will not even be willing to answer.
    >>>>> Really - you are that predictable.
    >>>>>
    >>>> Rick's a dumbass for sure, but that stupid question is open to
    >>>> personal preference. If he says B, what does that prove? You can't
    >>>> say he's wrong.
    >>>
    >>> B is, clearly not correct. The UI of PCLOS is a combination of
    >>> multiple competing UIs and others that do not conform to either... at
    >>> shown by at least *four* different Save As dialogs on GUI programs
    >>> easily accessible from its menu. That is not consistent and, clearly,
    >>> as a whole does not promote productivity and efficiency (clearly true
    >>> even if all were good). To make matters worse some of the dialogs are
    >>> close but have their buttons swapped - that is begging for trouble.
    >>>
    >>> But the point is that Rick does not know enough to answer...

    >>
    >> .. except I do know enough to answer, and I did answer.

    >
    > You did try... and I congratulate you for that. In your answer,
    > however, you did show ignorance of the issues - so I was only half
    > wrong.


    Your dishonesty knows no bounds.

    >
    >>> note how he will not even try.

    >>
    >> Note that I did answer

    >
    > Correct - and I stand corrected on that.
    >
    >>> Even he knows he is over his head.

    >>
    >> Except I am not in over my head.

    >
    > Read your answers... they show you are.


    Except I am not in over my head.

    >
    >>>> I'll say C, because I don't give a **** about PCLOS.
    >>>
    >>> If you were all users, sure... but you are not. Clearly the question
    >>> was not focused on you as the user but users in general.

    >

    ---
    Rick

  5. Re: Which "advocate" slinks away the most?

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 16:53:56 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > 13r6v9eac6vr03@news.supernews.com on 2/13/08 4:28 PM:
    >
    >> On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 14:27:12 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Rick" stated in post
    >>> 13r6mopi8jg95c1@news.supernews.com on 2/13/08 1:42 PM:
    >>>
    >>>> Snit wrote:
    >>>>> "DFS" stated in post
    >>>>> TrEsj.71282$vt2.34610@bignews8.bellsouth.net on 2/13/08 8:57 AM:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> Probably Rex Ballard, but it's hard to say for sure since virtually
    >>>>>> all cola nuts run away as soon as you ask them for proof of their
    >>>>>> idiotic lies and claims.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> My current vote is for Rick... he simply makes up things, shows no
    >>>>> understanding, and frankly goes out of his way to prove how over his
    >>>>> head he is.
    >>>>>
    >>>> Liar.
    >>>
    >>> Well, then, you should be able to answer a simple question without
    >>> contradicting yourself:
    >>>
    >>> Is the UI of PCLOS (pick all that apply): A) A combination of
    >>> different competing UIs, and thus "fractured"

    >>
    >> Your premise is either flawed, or OS X is also fractured.

    >
    > Incorrect - as has been beaten to death. If you think my oft-repeated
    > refutation is wrong then say why. As if you could! It would take you
    > actually understanding the topic being discussed!


    I have said why. You bury your head i the sand. Apple includes multiple
    environments. If Linux based OS's are fractured because of multiple UIs,
    then so is OS X.


    >
    >>> B) A consistent and good UI that promotes productivity and efficiency

    >>
    >> several good UIs that promote productivity and efficiency.

    >
    > You can pick one... to have both is a detriment.


    I generally use WindowMaker, and to have the different environments is a
    strength.

    >
    >>> C) Something that does not matter to the user

    >>
    >>> D) Something that matters enough to the user where there is a push to
    >>> make programs designed for different environments run more
    >>> consistently

    >>
    >> KDE and Gnome teams are working on compatibility.

    >
    > And do you know why? I bet not! But you are right - they are... and
    > that will likely help the UI of many distros. I look forward to it.
    > Will likely boost the number of people using Linux - if they do it well.


    It's too bad you are so ignorant, you don't know how really ignorant you
    are.

    >
    >>> The answers, for what it is worth, are clearly A and D. But you are
    >>> so far in over you head you will not even be willing to answer.
    >>> Really - you are that predictable.
    >>>
    >>> Oh, and if you feel you need some explanatory text that is OK - I am
    >>> no trying to push you into any false dichotomy.






    --
    Rick

  6. Re: Which "advocate" slinks away the most?

    ray wrote:

    > On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 10:57:47 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Probably Rex Ballard, but it's hard to say for sure since virtually all
    >> cola nuts run away as soon as you ask them for proof of their idiotic
    >> lies and claims.

    >
    > So where is your proof for such an idiotic lie and claim?


    I guess he slunk away.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  7. Re: Which "advocate" slinks away the most?

    ray wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 10:57:47 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Probably Rex Ballard, but it's hard to say for sure since virtually
    >> all cola nuts run away as soon as you ask them for proof of their
    >> idiotic lies and claims.

    >
    > So where is your proof for such an idiotic lie and claim?


    It's in the hundred or more times I've asked Rex for some 3rd party proof,
    for which I've received exactly ZERO replies.



  8. Re: Which "advocate" slinks away the most?

    RonB wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Probably Rex Ballard, but it's hard to say for sure since virtually
    >> all cola nuts run away as soon as you ask them for proof of their
    >> idiotic lies and claims.

    >
    > Hate to tell you this, DuFuS, but if by "slinking away" you mean
    > "having a life" -- there a lot of COLA advocates who "slink away" on
    > a daily basis. Not everyone is a 24-hour crank with nothing better to
    > do than constantly spray their drizzle in COLA -- as hard as that
    > might be for you to believe.


    Your So-Called Life doesn't excuse you from providing evidence for any
    idiotic claims you might make.



  9. Re: Which "advocate" slinks away the most?

    peterwn wrote:
    > On Feb 14, 4:57 am, "DFS" wrote:
    >> Probably Rex Ballard, but it's hard to say for sure since virtually
    >> all cola nuts run away as soon as you ask them for proof of their
    >> idiotic lies and claims.

    >
    > However note that:
    >
    > 1. Microsoft forbids benchmarking in its EULA's - this may mean 'hard
    > proof' is not always available.


    This is exactly the kind of dribble I'm talking about. You make a blatant,
    biased claim about MS totally forbidding benchmarking (you're wrong of
    course), but fail to provide any proof. And showing me 1 EULA that does so
    is not proof - MS sells dozens and dozens of products.

    Now you'll slink away; you're a self-fulfilling prophecy.



    > 2. There is a hell of a lot shonky research not supported by proof
    > showing how Microsoft products have lower TCO. These conveniently
    > omit the cost of licencing compliance and the direct and indirect
    > costs of cleaning up after viruses and worms.


    If you believe that, take it up with MS or refute it yourself. Either way,
    MS claims have nothing to do with cola bozos slinking away from their lies.



    > 3. There are often personal obscene attacks against various people on
    > this ng which are not backed by any form of proof.


    huh?



  10. Re: Which "advocate" slinks away the most?

    peterwn wrote:
    > "DFS" wrote:
    >
    >> Probably Rex Ballard, but it's hard to say for sure since
    >> virtually all cola nuts run away as soon as you ask them for
    >> proof of their idiotic lies and claims.

    >
    > However note that:
    >
    > 1. Microsoft forbids benchmarking in its EULA's - this may
    > mean 'hard proof' is not always available.


    You cannot expect much of an inferior product that requires
    monopoly maintenance practises, to retain the so called
    competitive edge. A true performance leader would expect
    benchmarks, to express how superior their software is to the
    competition.

    > 2. There is a hell of a lot shonky research not supported by
    > proof showing how Microsoft products have lower TCO. These
    > conveniently omit the cost of licencing compliance and the
    > direct and indirect costs of cleaning up after viruses and
    > worms.


    That shonky research is not research, it is "puffery".

    > 3. There are often personal obscene attacks against various
    > people on this ng which are not backed by any form of proof.


    It is a sign of inferior trolling to maintain gag maintenance
    practises, to retain the so-called upper hand. A truthful,
    performing spokesman would express how superior their argument is
    backed with facts.

    Do a see a "like father, like son" resemblance here?

    --
    HPT
    Kill filters do wonders - out of sight, out of mind, peace of mind.

  11. Re: Which "advocate" slinks away the most?

    On 13 Feb 2008 23:31:27 GMT, ray wrote:

    > On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 10:57:47 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Probably Rex Ballard, but it's hard to say for sure since virtually all
    >> cola nuts run away as soon as you ask them for proof of their idiotic
    >> lies and claims.

    >
    > So where is your proof for such an idiotic lie and claim?


    Read some of Ballard's posts.
    If you don't reach the same or similar conclusion, you have your rose
    colored glasses on.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: Which "advocate" slinks away the most?

    High Plains Thumper writes:

    > peterwn wrote:
    >> "DFS" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Probably Rex Ballard, but it's hard to say for sure since
    >>> virtually all cola nuts run away as soon as you ask them for
    >>> proof of their idiotic lies and claims.

    >>
    >> However note that:
    >>
    >> 1. Microsoft forbids benchmarking in its EULA's - this may
    >> mean 'hard proof' is not always available.

    >
    > You cannot expect much of an inferior product that requires monopoly
    > maintenance practises, to retain the so called competitive edge. A
    > true performance leader would expect benchmarks, to express how
    > superior their software is to the competition.
    >
    >> 2. There is a hell of a lot shonky research not supported by
    >> proof showing how Microsoft products have lower TCO. These
    >> conveniently omit the cost of licencing compliance and the
    >> direct and indirect costs of cleaning up after viruses and
    >> worms.

    >
    > That shonky research is not research, it is "puffery".
    >
    >> 3. There are often personal obscene attacks against various
    >> people on this ng which are not backed by any form of proof.

    >
    > It is a sign of inferior trolling to maintain gag maintenance
    > practises, to retain the so-called upper hand. A truthful, performing
    > spokesman would express how superior their argument is backed with
    > facts.
    >
    > Do a see a "like father, like son" resemblance here?


    Did you translate this using google from Chinese to English via Dutch?

    You sure do spout some nonsense.

  13. Re: Which "advocate" slinks away the most?

    On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 04:03:12 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > High Plains Thumper writes:
    >
    >> peterwn wrote:
    >>> "DFS" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Probably Rex Ballard, but it's hard to say for sure since
    >>>> virtually all cola nuts run away as soon as you ask them for
    >>>> proof of their idiotic lies and claims.
    >>>
    >>> However note that:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Microsoft forbids benchmarking in its EULA's - this may
    >>> mean 'hard proof' is not always available.

    >>
    >> You cannot expect much of an inferior product that requires monopoly
    >> maintenance practises, to retain the so called competitive edge. A
    >> true performance leader would expect benchmarks, to express how
    >> superior their software is to the competition.
    >>
    >>> 2. There is a hell of a lot shonky research not supported by
    >>> proof showing how Microsoft products have lower TCO. These
    >>> conveniently omit the cost of licencing compliance and the
    >>> direct and indirect costs of cleaning up after viruses and
    >>> worms.

    >>
    >> That shonky research is not research, it is "puffery".
    >>
    >>> 3. There are often personal obscene attacks against various
    >>> people on this ng which are not backed by any form of proof.

    >>
    >> It is a sign of inferior trolling to maintain gag maintenance
    >> practises, to retain the so-called upper hand. A truthful, performing
    >> spokesman would express how superior their argument is backed with
    >> facts.
    >>
    >> Do a see a "like father, like son" resemblance here?

    >
    > Did you translate this using google from Chinese to English via Dutch?
    >
    > You sure do spout some nonsense.


    I think 7 has turned HPT on to huffing.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  14. Re: Which "advocate" slinks away the most?

    "Rick" stated in post 13r71sgh1q8ijc3@news.supernews.com
    on 2/13/08 5:13 PM:

    >>> Your premise is either flawed, or OS X is also fractured.

    >>
    >> Incorrect - as has been beaten to death. If you think my oft-repeated
    >> refutation is wrong then say why. As if you could! It would take you
    >> actually understanding the topic being discussed!

    >
    > I have said why. You bury your head i the sand. Apple includes multiple
    > environments. If Linux based OS's are fractured because of multiple UIs,
    > then so is OS X.


    Did you read the content you replied to? Just wondering - your statement
    shows no sign of it if you did. Just thought you should know.

    >>>> B) A consistent and good UI that promotes productivity and efficiency
    >>>
    >>> several good UIs that promote productivity and efficiency.

    >>
    >> You can pick one... to have both is a detriment.

    >
    > I generally use WindowMaker, and to have the different environments is a
    > strength.


    What you use is irrelevant... but, shoot: try to explain why the different
    environments being mixed in any given distro (by default) is a benefit to
    the user. This should be good!

    ....
    >>> KDE and Gnome teams are working on compatibility.

    >>
    >> And do you know why? I bet not! But you are right - they are... and
    >> that will likely help the UI of many distros. I look forward to it.
    >> Will likely boost the number of people using Linux - if they do it well.

    >
    > It's too bad you are so ignorant, you don't know how really ignorant you
    > are.


    Again you show no signs you even read what your comments followed. Weird...
    you are now just spewing arbitrary insults instead of even trying to pretend
    you understand the topic at hand.


    --
    I am one of only .3% of people who have avoided becoming a statistic.





  15. Re: Which "advocate" slinks away the most?

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 20:48:36 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > 13r71sgh1q8ijc3@news.supernews.com on 2/13/08 5:13 PM:
    >
    >>>> Your premise is either flawed, or OS X is also fractured.
    >>>
    >>> Incorrect - as has been beaten to death. If you think my oft-repeated
    >>> refutation is wrong then say why. As if you could! It would take you
    >>> actually understanding the topic being discussed!

    >>
    >> I have said why. You bury your head i the sand. Apple includes multiple
    >> environments. If Linux based OS's are fractured because of multiple
    >> UIs, then so is OS X.

    >
    > Did you read the content you replied to? Just wondering - your
    > statement shows no sign of it if you did. Just thought you should know.
    >
    >
    >>>>> B) A consistent and good UI that promotes productivity and
    >>>>> efficiency
    >>>>
    >>>> several good UIs that promote productivity and efficiency.
    >>>
    >>> You can pick one... to have both is a detriment.

    >>
    >> I generally use WindowMaker, and to have the different environments is
    >> a strength.

    >
    > What you use is irrelevant...


    What a user uses is irrelevant. Interesting.

    but, shoot: try to explain why the
    > different environments being mixed in any given distro (by default) is a
    > benefit to the user. This should be good!


    The user is able to choose whichever environment suits him or her best.
    There are die hard KDE fans, die hard Gnome fans and die hard fans of
    other environments.

    >
    > ...
    >>>> KDE and Gnome teams are working on compatibility.
    >>>
    >>> And do you know why? I bet not! But you are right - they are... and
    >>> that will likely help the UI of many distros. I look forward to it.
    >>> Will likely boost the number of people using Linux - if they do it
    >>> well.

    >>
    >> It's too bad you are so ignorant, you don't know how really ignorant
    >> you are.

    >
    > Again you show no signs you even read what your comments followed.
    > Weird... you are now just spewing arbitrary insults instead of even
    > trying to pretend you understand the topic at hand.


    You are just a poor little boy, living in your black and white world,
    unable to see any point of view but your own.



    --
    Rick

  16. Re: Which "advocate" slinks away the most?

    "Rick" stated in post 13r7fpef9r39832@news.supernews.com
    on 2/13/08 9:10 PM:

    > On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 20:48:36 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" stated in post
    >> 13r71sgh1q8ijc3@news.supernews.com on 2/13/08 5:13 PM:
    >>
    >>>>> Your premise is either flawed, or OS X is also fractured.
    >>>>
    >>>> Incorrect - as has been beaten to death. If you think my oft-repeated
    >>>> refutation is wrong then say why. As if you could! It would take you
    >>>> actually understanding the topic being discussed!
    >>>
    >>> I have said why. You bury your head i the sand. Apple includes multiple
    >>> environments. If Linux based OS's are fractured because of multiple
    >>> UIs, then so is OS X.

    >>
    >> Did you read the content you replied to? Just wondering - your
    >> statement shows no sign of it if you did. Just thought you should know.
    >>
    >>
    >>>>>> B) A consistent and good UI that promotes productivity and
    >>>>>> efficiency
    >>>>>
    >>>>> several good UIs that promote productivity and efficiency.
    >>>>
    >>>> You can pick one... to have both is a detriment.
    >>>
    >>> I generally use WindowMaker, and to have the different environments is
    >>> a strength.

    >>
    >> What you use is irrelevant...

    >
    > What a user uses is irrelevant. Interesting.
    >
    > but, shoot: try to explain why the
    >> different environments being mixed in any given distro (by default) is a
    >> benefit to the user. This should be good!

    >
    > The user is able to choose whichever environment suits him or her best.
    > There are die hard KDE fans, die hard Gnome fans and die hard fans of
    > other environments.
    >
    >>
    >> ...
    >>>>> KDE and Gnome teams are working on compatibility.
    >>>>
    >>>> And do you know why? I bet not! But you are right - they are... and
    >>>> that will likely help the UI of many distros. I look forward to it.
    >>>> Will likely boost the number of people using Linux - if they do it
    >>>> well.
    >>>
    >>> It's too bad you are so ignorant, you don't know how really ignorant
    >>> you are.

    >>
    >> Again you show no signs you even read what your comments followed.
    >> Weird... you are now just spewing arbitrary insults instead of even
    >> trying to pretend you understand the topic at hand.

    >
    > You are just a poor little boy, living in your black and white world,
    > unable to see any point of view but your own.
    >
    >

    Can you respond in a way that shows at least a poor understanding of the
    issue.

    Please try!


    --
    Look, this is silly. It's not an argument, it's an armor plated walrus with
    walnut paneling and an all leather interior.




  17. Re: Which "advocate" slinks away the most?

    On Feb 13, 5:51*pm, Snit wrote:
    > "cc" stated in post
    > f067b186-76bb-4155-a746-bd7aa09b3...@n20g2000hsh.googlegroups.com on 2/13/08
    > 3:07 PM:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > On Feb 13, 4:27*pm, Snit wrote:
    > >> "Rick" stated in post 13r6mopi8jg9...@news.supernews.com
    > >> on 2/13/08 1:42 PM:

    >
    > >>> Snit wrote:
    > >>>> "DFS" stated in post
    > >>>> TrEsj.71282$vt2.34...@bignews8.bellsouth.net on 2/13/08 8:57 AM:

    >
    > >>>>> Probably Rex Ballard, but it's hard to say for sure since virtually all
    > >>>>> cola
    > >>>>> nuts run away as soon as you ask them for proof of their idiotic lies and
    > >>>>> claims.

    >
    > >>>> My current vote is for Rick... he simply makes up things, shows no
    > >>>> understanding, and frankly goes out of his way to prove how over his head
    > >>>> he
    > >>>> is.

    >
    > >>> Liar.

    >
    > >> Well, then, you should be able to answer a simple question without
    > >> contradicting yourself:

    >
    > >> Is the UI of PCLOS (pick all that apply):
    > >> A) A combination of different competing UIs, and thus "fractured"
    > >> B) A consistent and good UI that promotes productivity and efficiency
    > >> C) Something that does not matter to the user
    > >> D) Something that matters enough to the user where there is a push
    > >> * *to make programs designed for different environments run
    > >> * *more consistently

    >
    > >> The answers, for what it is worth, are clearly A and D. *But you are so far
    > >> in over you head you will not even be willing to answer. *Really - you are
    > >> that predictable.

    >
    > > Rick's a dumbass for sure, but that stupid question is open to
    > > personal preference. If he says B, what does that prove? You can't say
    > > he's wrong.

    >
    > B is, clearly not correct. *The UI of PCLOS is a combination of multiple
    > competing UIs and others that do not conform to either... at shown by at
    > least *four* different Save As dialogs on GUI programs easily accessible
    > from its menu. *That is not consistent and, clearly, as a whole does not
    > promote productivity and efficiency (clearly true even if all were good).
    > To make matters worse some of the dialogs are close but have their buttons
    > swapped - that is begging for trouble.



    In your opinion. In mine too. But not in everyone's.

    > But the point is that Rick does not know enough to answer... note how he
    > will not even try. *Even he knows he is over his head.


    There is no answer.

    > > I'll say C, because I don't give a **** about PCLOS.

    >
    > If you were all users, sure... but you are not. *Clearly the question was
    > not focused on you as the user but users in general.
    >


    Are you a user in general? Prove it.

  18. Re: Which "advocate" slinks away the most?

    On Feb 13, 6:29*pm, Rick wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 14:07:19 -0800, cc wrote:
    > > On Feb 13, 4:27*pm, Snit wrote:
    > >> "Rick" stated in post
    > >> 13r6mopi8jg9...@news.supernews.com on 2/13/08 1:42 PM:

    >
    > >> > Snit wrote:
    > >> >> "DFS" stated in post
    > >> >> TrEsj.71282$vt2.34...@bignews8.bellsouth.net on 2/13/08 8:57 AM:

    >
    > >> >>> Probably Rex Ballard, but it's hard to say for sure since virtually
    > >> >>> all cola nuts run away as soon as you ask them for proof of their
    > >> >>> idiotic lies and claims.

    >
    > >> >> My current vote is for Rick... he simply makes up things, shows no
    > >> >> understanding, and frankly goes out of his way to prove how over his
    > >> >> head he is.

    >
    > >> > Liar.

    >
    > >> Well, then, you should be able to answer a simple question without
    > >> contradicting yourself:

    >
    > >> Is the UI of PCLOS (pick all that apply): A) A combination of different
    > >> competing UIs, and thus "fractured" B) A consistent and good UI that
    > >> promotes productivity and efficiency C) Something that does not matter
    > >> to the user D) Something that matters enough to the user where there is
    > >> a push
    > >> * *to make programs designed for different environments run more
    > >> * *consistently

    >
    > >> The answers, for what it is worth, are clearly A and D. *But you are so
    > >> far in over you head you will not even be willing to answer. *Really -
    > >> you are that predictable.

    >
    > > Rick's a dumbass for sure, but that stupid question is open to personal
    > > preference. If he says B, what does that prove? You can't say he's
    > > wrong. I'll say C, because I don't give a **** about PCLOS.

    >
    > Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence.
    >


    My pleasure.

  19. Re: Which "advocate" slinks away the most?

    "cc" stated in post
    08d09ab2-746a-4cd0-b37e-7151437d08ff...oglegroups.com on 2/13/08
    9:24 PM:

    >>>> Is the UI of PCLOS (pick all that apply):
    >>>> A) A combination of different competing UIs, and thus "fractured"
    >>>> B) A consistent and good UI that promotes productivity and efficiency
    >>>> C) Something that does not matter to the user
    >>>> D) Something that matters enough to the user where there is a push
    >>>> * *to make programs designed for different environments run
    >>>> * *more consistently

    >>
    >>>> The answers, for what it is worth, are clearly A and D. *But you are so far
    >>>> in over you head you will not even be willing to answer. *Really - you are
    >>>> that predictable.

    >>
    >>> Rick's a dumbass for sure, but that stupid question is open to
    >>> personal preference. If he says B, what does that prove? You can't say
    >>> he's wrong.

    >>
    >> B is, clearly not correct. *The UI of PCLOS is a combination of multiple
    >> competing UIs and others that do not conform to either... at shown by at
    >> least *four* different Save As dialogs on GUI programs easily accessible
    >> from its menu. *That is not consistent and, clearly, as a whole does not
    >> promote productivity and efficiency (clearly true even if all were good).
    >> To make matters worse some of the dialogs are close but have their buttons
    >> swapped - that is begging for trouble.

    >
    > In your opinion. In mine too. But not in everyone's.


    It is a verifiable fact that such UI problems lead to user errors. I have
    done such testing in terms of Windows similar but likely less severe
    problems.

    >> But the point is that Rick does not know enough to answer... note how he
    >> will not even try. *Even he knows he is over his head.

    >
    > There is no answer.


    Sure there is... and now I made it clear he did not need to give a yes/no
    type answer - I was not trying to push him into any type of false dichotomy.

    >>> I'll say C, because I don't give a **** about PCLOS.

    >>
    >> If you were all users, sure... but you are not. *Clearly the question was
    >> not focused on you as the user but users in general.

    >
    > Are you a user in general? Prove it.


    What proof do you need of something so obvious: UI inconsistencies of the
    type being discussed lead to lowering of efficiency, the risk of lost work,
    and a greater number of "user" errors. Sure, I have seen the studies and
    done some myself - but frankly this should be obvious to anyone familiar
    with computers. I have to admit to being surprised at how uncommon the
    knowledge seems to be in COLA. Heck, even novices generally get it in the
    real world.

    --
    Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.
    --Albert Einstein


  20. Re: Which "advocate" slinks away the most?

    DFS wrote:

    > RonB wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> Probably Rex Ballard, but it's hard to say for sure since virtually
    >>> all cola nuts run away as soon as you ask them for proof of their
    >>> idiotic lies and claims.

    >>
    >> Hate to tell you this, DuFuS, but if by "slinking away" you mean
    >> "having a life" -- there a lot of COLA advocates who "slink away" on
    >> a daily basis. Not everyone is a 24-hour crank with nothing better to
    >> do than constantly spray their drizzle in COLA -- as hard as that
    >> might be for you to believe.

    >
    > Your So-Called Life doesn't excuse you from providing evidence for any
    > idiotic claims you might make.


    By "evidence" you mean answering your half-baked questions that make about
    as much sense as... well, as you do.

    What *exactly,* in your imagination, haven't I answered?

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast