OS Pundit: Microsoft will rule for the next 60 years (& Linux ishistory) - Linux

This is a discussion on OS Pundit: Microsoft will rule for the next 60 years (& Linux ishistory) - Linux ; From Seeking Alpha's website, front page. Read it very carefully and note where Linux is mentioned (it's not). In fact, as a desktop OS, Linux is the past, not the future. RL Microsoft is fighting on multiple fronts in its ...

  1. OS Pundit: Microsoft will rule for the next 60 years (& Linux ishistory)

    From Seeking Alpha's website, front page. Read it very carefully and
    note where Linux is mentioned (it's not).

    In fact, as a desktop OS, Linux is the past, not the future.

    RL

    Microsoft is fighting on multiple fronts in its 100-year technology
    war. Acknowledged, Microsoft has notched just 35 years, but the
    company is good for another 65 if it can recruit a few more
    generations of Bill Gates generals to lead the charge. And make no
    mistake, dominating markets is what companies, and unfortunately many
    nations, are bred to do. Survival of the DNA, the fittest, the most
    persistent and cunning.

    The first 35 years were about DOS, Windows and Office. The next 65 or
    so will be about providing the global the operating system for the
    Internet and its successors.

    Microsoft's battles started with IBM, Apple, Sony and a few others in
    the pre-commercial Internet days of the 20th century. But now the
    focus is on Google. The bid to acquire Yahoo has been Microsoft's the
    major thrust so far. But it added another battlefront with the
    acquisition of Danger for an estimated $500 million. As Om Malik
    points out:

    The reason for this deal is more than just acquiring "consumer
    expertise," as the company kept repeating yesterday. Danger's software-
    as-a-service technology can offer "Microsoft Services" such as Search,
    Windows Live Mail and Messenger on the Danger platform, using it to
    compete with Google Android.

    Competing with Android, Google's Linux-based, open operating system
    for mobile devices, has become another Microsoft priority. The
    opportunity to sell ads and deliver applications on mobile devices
    will grow exponentially, and Google is poised to move into the market
    in a big way, going up against not just Microsoft but also behemoths
    like Nokia.

    The velociraptor stalking of Yahoo isn't just about search and ads,
    which is how Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer characterizes the potential
    union.

    "There's already about $40 billion a year sold in search advertising,
    and in our desire to be a world leader in Internet search and Internet
    advertising, it helps us a lot to acquire Yahoo," Ballmer said during
    speech this week.

    That is indeed the more immediate gap Microsoft is trying to bridge
    with Yahoo. But as I have been saying, there is another motive that
    has equally important impact on the landscape. Over the next several
    years a few giants will by vying to be the home base for billions of
    users, a meta-aggregator or dashboard with an individual's feeds
    preferences, feeds and widgets. Think of it as the super start page
    built on an open application framework. At this point Yahoo is the
    leader with its home pages and MyYahoo and that has to be an attractor
    for Microsoft.

    In addition, Office applications are moving to cloud, and
    consolidating the market of Internet users via Yahoo provides a ready-
    made distribution channel for its Live services and applications.

    Steve Gillmor is paying attention. He wrote:

    Microsoft's Yahoo takeover, whether successful short or long-term,
    marks an historic change in Microsoft's perception of its role at the
    center of the computing universe. Certainly Google's rise has focused
    the Redmond mind on the task it must confront, not just with Google's
    advertising dominance but also its dagger to the heart of Microsoft's
    crown jewels, Office. At its most basic level, the Yahoo deal allows
    Microsoft to clone Google Apps and blunt the hemorrhaging of a new Net-
    aware generation away from the current hardware bound Office.

    We can argue whether the forced merger of MSN/Live and Yahoo's
    services will be easy or difficult, but those who predict distraction
    and brain drain should remember that Ray Ozzie was the central factor
    in the IBM/Lotus acquisition that allowed continuity and pragmatics to
    preside over what turned out to be a successful combination. Notes and
    Domino achieved a critical mass in resources and seats that it needed
    to blunt the Y2K Exchange challenge, and IBM bought the time it needed
    to invest in open source and build out a platform for Global Services
    to ride on.

    Similarly, Microsoft can use the Yahoo seats to deliver an 80-20
    version of Office while financing the transition with improved
    response for brand advertising hung off of Yahoo media properties and
    rich media services such as Flickr. Banner ads don't attack Google's
    advertiser/relevance stranglehold, but they do pay for the migration
    to an on-demand Office clone and give Microsoft time to confront the
    real Google threat: control of an Internet operating system.

    Where Windows achieved its lock-in based on control of the hardware
    base, an Internet operating system requires a different equation: the
    engagement of the user, or put another way, getting and retaining the
    attention of the user. This social contract is one where Microsoft has
    a fighting chance of success, and significantly, one where Google has
    its challenges. Recent attempts by Google to use data collected in
    Gmail as social graph gestures with Google Reader shared feeds
    underline how difficult it is to use data collected under one social
    contract to seed an emerging one.

    The Internet operating system is more of a more open framework and set
    of services and APIs, not a proprietary walled garden (other than the
    precious, secret algorithms) similar to Windows. Combining Microsoft
    and Yahoo afford a chance - no certainty of victory - to "retain the
    attention of the user," as Steve said. And, if Microhoo can command
    the attention of a billion users the ads will follow.

    The Microsoft-Google battleground is shifting. Google's approach is
    informed by its dominant search position. Microhoo would start from
    its stronger applications and communications services. But they are
    both heading to the same destination, as the brand and software stack
    that wins the hearts, minds, attention and wallets of a few billion
    Internet users.

  2. Re: OS Pundit: Microsoft will rule for the next 60 years (& Linuxishistory)

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 05:20:25 -0800, raylopez99 wrote:

    > From Seeking Alpha's website, front page. Read it very carefully and
    > note where Linux is mentioned (it's not).
    >
    > In fact, as a desktop OS, Linux is the past, not the future.
    >
    > RL
    >

    > Competing with Android, Google's Linux-based, open operating system for
    > mobile devices, has become another Microsoft priority.

    Poor little lad, you obviously didn't read the article all of the way
    through.

  3. Re: OS Pundit: Microsoft will rule for the next 60 years (& Linux ishistory)

    On Feb 14, 2:20 am, raylopez99 wrote:
    > From Seeking Alpha's website, front page. Read it very carefully and
    > note where Linux is mentioned (it's not).

    In the 1970's IBM looked invincible. Microsoft will invariably go the
    same way.

    Vista, the OOXML debacle and the proposed Yahoo takeover are all signs
    of the beginning of the decline.

    It probably started that fateful day when Steve Ballmer threw a chair
    across his office.

  4. Re: OS Pundit: Microsoft will rule for the next 60 years (& Linuxis history)

    "peterwn" stated in post
    243c3199-287e-4676-ac4a-8712443683dc...oglegroups.com on 2/13/08
    1:06 PM:

    > On Feb 14, 2:20 am, raylopez99 wrote:
    >> From Seeking Alpha's website, front page. Read it very carefully and
    >> note where Linux is mentioned (it's not).
    >>

    > In the 1970's IBM looked invincible. Microsoft will invariably go the
    > same way.
    >
    > Vista, the OOXML debacle and the proposed Yahoo takeover are all signs
    > of the beginning of the decline.
    >
    > It probably started that fateful day when Steve Ballmer threw a chair
    > across his office.

    There is a reason Gates is leaving...

    --
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters." - Alan Simpson

  5. Re: OS Pundit: Microsoft will rule for the next 60 years (& Linux is history)

    peterwn writes:

    > On Feb 14, 2:20 am, raylopez99 wrote:
    >> From Seeking Alpha's website, front page. Read it very carefully and
    >> note where Linux is mentioned (it's not).
    >>

    > In the 1970's IBM looked invincible. Microsoft will invariably go the
    > same way.

    What way? Still being one of the biggest companies in the world? Or
    what?

    > Vista, the OOXML debacle and the proposed Yahoo takeover are all signs
    > of the beginning of the decline.
    >
    > It probably started that fateful day when Steve Ballmer threw a chair
    > across his office.

  6. Re: OS Pundit: Microsoft will rule for the next 60 years (& Linux is history)

    "Snit" wrote in message

    > There is a reason Gates is leaving...

    There are billions of reasons.

  7. Re: OS Pundit: Microsoft will rule for the next 60 years (& Linux is history)

    amicus_curious wrote:

    >There are billions of reasons.

    The number of people he's shafted with his crapware?

  8. Re: OS Pundit: Microsoft will rule for the next 60 years (& Linux is history)

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, chrisv

    wrote
    on Wed, 13 Feb 2008 14:53:05 -0600
    :
    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >>There are billions of reasons.

    > The number of people he's shafted with his crapware?

    The number of dollars spent by people, directly and indirectly,
    on his crapware. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    "640K ought to be enough for anybody."
    - allegedly said by Bill Gates, 1981, but somebody had to make this up!

  9. Re: OS Pundit: Microsoft will rule for the next 60 years (& Linux is history)

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 21:28:53 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > peterwn writes:
    >
    >> On Feb 14, 2:20 am, raylopez99 wrote:
    >>> From Seeking Alpha's website, front page. Read it very carefully and
    >>> note where Linux is mentioned (it's not).
    >>>

    >> In the 1970's IBM looked invincible. Microsoft will invariably go the
    >> same way.

    > What way? Still being one of the biggest companies in the world? Or
    > what?

    Also, IBM survived.
    Where are the other mainframe companies these days?
    Hitachi, Amdahl etc
    Gone. mostly..

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb