New Printer Question - Linux

This is a discussion on New Printer Question - Linux ; My venerable HP Laserjet 5L has at long last given up the ghost so I am looking for a replacement. I have found, on eBay a Samsung ML4500 mono laser that seems to do the same job faster with a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. New Printer Question

    My venerable HP Laserjet 5L has at long last given up the ghost so I am
    looking for a replacement. I have found, on eBay a Samsung ML4500 mono
    laser that seems to do the same job faster with a similar footprint.

    Before I splurge my hard earned cash has anyone any experience with this
    model? Samsung claim that it works well with CUPS and there does seem to
    bee a PPD file available. It will have fairly light office use ( 500 pages
    a month) mostly text.

    Comments, alternatives?

    Tim.

  2. Re: New Printer Question

    SomeBloke wrote:

    > My venerable HP Laserjet 5L has at long last given up the ghost so I am
    > looking for a replacement. I have found, on eBay a Samsung ML4500 mono
    > laser that seems to do the same job faster with a similar footprint.
    >
    > Before I splurge my hard earned cash has anyone any experience with this
    > model? Samsung claim that it works well with CUPS and there does seem to
    > bee a PPD file available. It will have fairly light office use ( 500 pages
    > a month) mostly text.
    >
    > Comments, alternatives?

    I have a Samsung ML1750 and the text quality is excellent.
    --
    Stephen Fairchild

  3. Re: New Printer Question

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 09:13:04 +0000, SomeBloke wrote:

    > My venerable HP Laserjet 5L has at long last given up the ghost so I am
    > looking for a replacement. I have found, on eBay a Samsung ML4500 mono
    > laser that seems to do the same job faster with a similar footprint.
    >
    > Before I splurge my hard earned cash has anyone any experience with this
    > model? Samsung claim that it works well with CUPS and there does seem to
    > bee a PPD file available. It will have fairly light office use ( 500
    > pages a month) mostly text.
    >
    > Comments, alternatives?
    >
    > Tim.

    I eschew e-bay, but I've had experience with one Samsung laser and one
    Brother (HL1440) - both worked fine with no particular fuss.

  4. Re: New Printer Question

    Stephen, ray,

    Thank you for your comments, I have just been successful in securing the
    printer, (£23.98 inc postage, toner included) so my HP 5L will be consigned
    to the great recycling centre in the sky. (It's in Helston actually, but
    what the hell!)

    Thanks,

    Tim.

  5. Re: New Printer Question

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 09:13:04 +0000, SomeBloke wrote:

    > My venerable HP Laserjet 5L has at long last given up the ghost so I am
    > looking for a replacement. I have found, on eBay a Samsung ML4500 mono
    > laser that seems to do the same job faster with a similar footprint.
    >
    > Before I splurge my hard earned cash has anyone any experience with this
    > model? Samsung claim that it works well with CUPS and there does seem to
    > bee a PPD file available. It will have fairly light office use ( 500 pages
    > a month) mostly text.
    >
    > Comments, alternatives?
    >
    > Tim.

    Go here:

    http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/O...gestedPrinters

    Pick a model and head for your local Salvation Army or Goodwill store and
    I'm sure you will find it there.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  6. Re: New Printer Question

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 10:26:49 +0000, Stephen Fairchild wrote:

    > SomeBloke wrote:
    >
    >> My venerable HP Laserjet 5L has at long last given up the ghost so I am
    >> looking for a replacement. I have found, on eBay a Samsung ML4500 mono
    >> laser that seems to do the same job faster with a similar footprint.
    >>
    >> Before I splurge my hard earned cash has anyone any experience with this
    >> model? Samsung claim that it works well with CUPS and there does seem to
    >> bee a PPD file available. It will have fairly light office use ( 500 pages
    >> a month) mostly text.
    >>
    >> Comments, alternatives?
    >>

    > I have a Samsung ML1750 and the text quality is excellent.

    I have the Samsung ML 1740 and it's excellent as well.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: New Printer Question

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 09:13:04 +0000, SomeBloke wrote:
    >
    >> My venerable HP Laserjet 5L has at long last given up the ghost so I am
    >> looking for a replacement. I have found, on eBay a Samsung ML4500 mono
    >> laser that seems to do the same job faster with a similar footprint.
    >>
    >> Before I splurge my hard earned cash has anyone any experience with this
    >> model? Samsung claim that it works well with CUPS and there does seem to
    >> bee a PPD file available. It will have fairly light office use ( 500
    >> pages a month) mostly text.
    >>
    >> Comments, alternatives?
    >>
    >> Tim.

    > Go here:
    >
    > http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/O...gestedPrinters
    >
    > Pick a model and head for your local Salvation Army or Goodwill store and
    > I'm sure you will find it there.

    Drop dead, twat.

  8. Re: New Printer Question

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 19:14:46 +0000, Jeremy Fisher wrote:

    > SomeBloke wrote:
    >
    >> My venerable HP Laserjet 5L has at long last given up the ghost so I am
    >> looking for a replacement. I have found, on eBay a Samsung ML4500 mono
    >> laser that seems to do the same job faster with a similar footprint.
    >>
    >> Before I splurge my hard earned cash has anyone any experience with this
    >> model? Samsung claim that it works well with CUPS and there does seem to
    >> bee a PPD file available. It will have fairly light office use ( 500 pages
    >> a month) mostly text.
    >>
    >> Comments, alternatives?
    >>
    >> Tim.

    > We use Samsungs at work, they all work well as they have native drivers for
    > Linux, for our ML3050N I had to download driver. but most ML variants had
    > PID file already on the system.
    >
    > Jem..

    That is true.
    I used the one included with PCLinuxOS but I think I might have had to use
    a different model driver, at least at one time, it might be different now.

    I was surprised though to see a CD containing Linux drivers in the box.

    I've been very happy with the Samsung.
    It prints nice, rarely jams and heats up quickly.
    Overall one of my better impulse buys

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: New Printer Question

    SomeBloke wrote:

    > My venerable HP Laserjet 5L has at long last given up the ghost so I am
    > looking for a replacement. I have found, on eBay a Samsung ML4500 mono
    > laser that seems to do the same job faster with a similar footprint.
    >
    > Before I splurge my hard earned cash has anyone any experience with this
    > model? Samsung claim that it works well with CUPS and there does seem to
    > bee a PPD file available. It will have fairly light office use ( 500 pages
    > a month) mostly text.
    >
    > Comments, alternatives?
    >
    > Tim.

    We use Samsungs at work, they all work well as they have native drivers for
    Linux, for our ML3050N I had to download driver. but most ML variants had
    PID file already on the system.

    Jem..

  10. Re: New Printer Question

    Linonut wrote:

    >Gee, I wonder if they got the Xerox WorkCentre Pro C3545, that I use from
    >my Linux box, from the Goodwill store. And whattaya know? The CUPS
    >driver support its:

    What's a good scanner/printer to get? My HP printer has been working
    fine, but my daughter wants to do scanning as well.

  11. Re: New Printer Question

    * SomeBloke peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> Go here:
    >>
    >> http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/O...gestedPrinters
    >>
    >> Pick a model and head for your local Salvation Army or Goodwill store and
    >> I'm sure you will find it there.

    Gee, I wonder if they got the Xerox WorkCentre Pro C3545, that I use from
    my Linux box, from the Goodwill store. And whattaya know? The CUPS
    driver support its:

    Paper Tray Options
    Finisher
    Hole Punch Unit
    Media Type and Color
    Output Bin
    Stapler
    Booklet finishing
    Set Offset
    Collation
    Color Correction
    Print Quality
    Cover Options

    And it is a similar story for the other printer, a LaserJet 4050.

    Guess I need to get out to the Salvation Army store to outfit my home
    office!

    --
    One who deceives will always find those who allow themselves to be deceived.
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

  12. Re: New Printer Question

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 13:16:32 -0600, chrisv wrote:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >>Gee, I wonder if they got the Xerox WorkCentre Pro C3545, that I use from
    >>my Linux box, from the Goodwill store. And whattaya know? The CUPS
    >>driver support its:

    > What's a good scanner/printer to get? My HP printer has been working
    > fine, but my daughter wants to do scanning as well.

    Brother.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: New Printer Question

    * chrisv peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >>Gee, I wonder if they got the Xerox WorkCentre Pro C3545, that I use from
    >>my Linux box, from the Goodwill store. And whattaya know? The CUPS
    >>driver support its:

    > What's a good scanner/printer to get? My HP printer has been working
    > fine, but my daughter wants to do scanning as well.

    I don't know. Xsane drives this hp psc 2210 all-in-one they stuck in my
    cube pretty well, but I haven't used a scanner at home since I dumped my
    old Microtek E3 and its Adaptic SCSI-Lite card.

    --
    Benefits should be conferred gradually; and in that way they will taste better.
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

  14. Re: New Printer Question

    Linonut writes:

    > * chrisv peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>>Gee, I wonder if they got the Xerox WorkCentre Pro C3545, that I use from
    >>>my Linux box, from the Goodwill store. And whattaya know? The CUPS
    >>>driver support its:

    >> What's a good scanner/printer to get? My HP printer has been working
    >> fine, but my daughter wants to do scanning as well.

    > I don't know. Xsane drives this hp psc 2210 all-in-one they stuck in my
    > cube pretty well, but I haven't used a scanner at home since I dumped my
    > old Microtek E3 and its Adaptic SCSI-Lite card.

    No, no, no Liarnut. This won't do.

    You're supposed to say "Any! It all meets MY needs!". Obviously "your
    needs" should be nothing like the OPs.

  15. Re: New Printer Question

    On 13 Feb 2008 15:24:07 GMT, ray wrote:
    >On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 09:13:04 +0000, SomeBloke wrote:

    >> My venerable HP Laserjet 5L has at long last given up the ghost so I am
    >> looking for a replacement. I have found, on eBay a Samsung ML4500 mono
    >> laser that seems to do the same job faster with a similar footprint.
    >>
    >> Before I splurge my hard earned cash has anyone any experience with this
    >> model? Samsung claim that it works well with CUPS and there does seem to
    >> bee a PPD file available. It will have fairly light office use ( 500
    >> pages a month) mostly text.
    >>
    >> Comments, alternatives?
    >>
    >> Tim.

    >I eschew e-bay, but I've had experience with one Samsung laser and one
    >Brother (HL1440) - both worked fine with no particular fuss.

    I haven't been too impressed with the samsung drivers for my ml1750. They
    frequently take extremely long to rasterize and often run out of memory (on a
    4 gig system). I've reverted to using their windows drivers in a vmware
    session->applewriter PS printer queue->redmon->ghostview->ghostscript->
    gdiprint->samsung driver. That kluge works far better than samsung's native
    driver.

  16. Re: New Printer Question

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 14:42:56 -0500, Linonut wrote:
    >* chrisv peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>>Gee, I wonder if they got the Xerox WorkCentre Pro C3545, that I use from
    >>>my Linux box, from the Goodwill store. And whattaya know? The CUPS
    >>>driver support its:

    >> What's a good scanner/printer to get? My HP printer has been working
    >> fine, but my daughter wants to do scanning as well.

    >I don't know. Xsane drives this hp psc 2210 all-in-one they stuck in my
    >cube pretty well, but I haven't used a scanner at home since I dumped my
    >old Microtek E3 and its Adaptic SCSI-Lite card.

    Yeah, but the windows gives you all the benefits of a print "driver" that
    needs 750M of hard drive space and has to copy itself to a new location for
    the mere act of plugging the printer into a different USB port.

  17. Re: New Printer Question

    > And it is a similar story for the other printer, a LaserJet 4050.

    Yes, I have an HP 4050N myself. Bought it new about 8 years ago, and
    it wasn't cheap. Damn thing has a bug in the firmware, so it chokes
    on some percentage of the postscript files I send it. Tried to get HP
    to send me a replacement chip (it was their bug, right?) They were
    glad to fix the printer, for only several hundred dollars in
    charges. This is customer service from great corporations.

    Well it works on most things, it's all mine, and it works fine with
    CUPS (currently under Ubuntu).

    I also have some HP 1300's, that were much cheaper and work better.

  18. Re: New Printer Question

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 20:03:40 +0000, AZ Nomad wrote:

    > On 13 Feb 2008 15:24:07 GMT, ray wrote:
    >>On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 09:13:04 +0000, SomeBloke wrote:

    >>> My venerable HP Laserjet 5L has at long last given up the ghost so I
    >>> am looking for a replacement. I have found, on eBay a Samsung ML4500
    >>> mono laser that seems to do the same job faster with a similar
    >>> footprint.
    >>>
    >>> Before I splurge my hard earned cash has anyone any experience with
    >>> this model? Samsung claim that it works well with CUPS and there does
    >>> seem to bee a PPD file available. It will have fairly light office use
    >>> ( 500 pages a month) mostly text.
    >>>
    >>> Comments, alternatives?
    >>>
    >>> Tim.

    >>I eschew e-bay, but I've had experience with one Samsung laser and one
    >>Brother (HL1440) - both worked fine with no particular fuss.

    > I haven't been too impressed with the samsung drivers for my ml1750.
    > They frequently take extremely long to rasterize and often run out of
    > memory (on a 4 gig system). I've reverted to using their windows
    > drivers in a vmware session->applewriter PS printer
    > queue->redmon->ghostview->ghostscript-> gdiprint->samsung driver. That
    > kluge works far better than samsung's native driver.

    Interesting. I installed one on a used IBM laptop about 5 years ago
    (don't recall the specific model) for a community theatre group to use
    for seating charts and tickets - never had any difficulty.

  19. Re: New Printer Question

    On 13 Feb 2008 23:33:08 GMT, ray wrote:
    >On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 20:03:40 +0000, AZ Nomad wrote:

    >> On 13 Feb 2008 15:24:07 GMT, ray wrote:
    >>>On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 09:13:04 +0000, SomeBloke wrote:

    >> I haven't been too impressed with the samsung drivers for my ml1750.
    >> They frequently take extremely long to rasterize and often run out of
    >> memory (on a 4 gig system). I've reverted to using their windows
    >> drivers in a vmware session->applewriter PS printer
    >> queue->redmon->ghostview->ghostscript-> gdiprint->samsung driver. That
    >> kluge works far better than samsung's native driver.

    >Interesting. I installed one on a used IBM laptop about 5 years ago
    >(don't recall the specific model) for a community theatre group to use
    >for seating charts and tickets - never had any difficulty.

    Perhaps it's is time to revisit the issue. It's been a couple of years.

    I just uninstalled the samsung drivers, and reset my cups queue to use the
    recommended foomatic/pxlmono driver. I just printed a test page and a page from
    firefox and it worked just fine.

  20. Re: New Printer Question

    ray espoused:
    > On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 20:03:40 +0000, AZ Nomad wrote:

    >>>I eschew e-bay, but I've had experience with one Samsung laser and one
    >>>Brother (HL1440) - both worked fine with no particular fuss.

    >> I haven't been too impressed with the samsung drivers for my ml1750.
    >> They frequently take extremely long to rasterize and often run out of
    >> memory (on a 4 gig system). I've reverted to using their windows
    >> drivers in a vmware session->applewriter PS printer
    >> queue->redmon->ghostview->ghostscript-> gdiprint->samsung driver. That
    >> kluge works far better than samsung's native driver.

    > Interesting. I installed one on a used IBM laptop about 5 years ago
    > (don't recall the specific model) for a community theatre group to use
    > for seating charts and tickets - never had any difficulty.

    I've got a CLP-550N here which works well. Samsung have a ppd file for
    it, and CUPS works very well with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast