[News] World Mobile Congress Claimed Dominated by Linux Platforms - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] World Mobile Congress Claimed Dominated by Linux Platforms - Linux ; Linux-based Android and LiMo Dominate Mobile-Phone Show ,----[ Quote ] | Attention at the World Mobile Congress in Barcelona has focused on | Linux-based mobile platforms, including Google's Android and LiMo. `---- http://www.mobile-tech-today.com/sto...story_id=58338 Some shots of Android here: Google's Android ...

  1. [News] World Mobile Congress Claimed Dominated by Linux Platforms

    `----

    http://www.mobile-tech-today.com/sto...story_id=58338

    Some shots of Android here:

    Google's Android Makes Its Public Debut

    Related:

    1.24 billion mobile phones to ship in 2008

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The growth in mobile phone shipments will slow slightly this year due to
    | a “tougher” economic environment, but will still increase by 10 percent, to
    | 1.24 billion units, a leading market research firm forecasts. *
    `----

    http://www.deviceguru.com/2008/01/30...-2008/#more-47

    PCs being pushed aside in Japan

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The PC's role in Japanese homes is diminishing, as its once-awesome monopoly
    | on processing power is encroached by gadgets such as smart phones that act
    | like pocket-size computers, advanced Internet-connected game consoles,
    | digital video recorders with terabytes of memory. *
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071104/...te/bye_bye_pcs

    Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
    | didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
    | the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
    | numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
    | handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said. * *
    `----

    Funambol CEO Fabrizio Capobianco: Linux Is Mobile's Future

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | LinuxInsider met with Capobianco to discuss his view on the role of open
    | source in creating Mobile 2.0 as a voice and data carrier parallel to the
    | Internet. The meeting occurred in the wake of Google's announcement earlier
    | this month that it was negotiating with wireless carriers, handset makers,
    | software developers and hardware providers to use an open source mobile
    | platform, Android. * *
    `----

    http://www.technewsworld.com/story/60340.html

    Microsoft cans key conference

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | SOFTWARE giant Microsoft has decided that it does not love its popular Mobile
    | and Embedded DevCon any more and has pulled the plug.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...key-conference

    Four billion embedded systems shipped in '06

    Mobile Linux on the move in Asia, study says

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A Research and Markets study says that the market share for mobile Linux in
    | Asia will increase in 2008. The study also predicts that smartphones will
    | continue to grab mobile-phone market share, and will represent 22 percent of
    | the Asian mobile market this year. *
    `----

    Linux To Challenge Symbian, Microsoft In Mobile Phone Market

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Purple Magic is a 3G Linux reference feature phone that costs less than $100
    | and combines video telephony, music playback, high-speed Internet browsing,
    | and video streaming. *
    `----

    Mobile World Congress preview: The year of Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | What will certainly be the subject of much interest and debate is the
    | evolution and potential of mobile Linux. There are several industry consortia
    | dedicated to putting open-source software onto handsets and the concept now
    | has the backing it needs to pick up momentum. Manufacturers, operators and
    | developers all like the idea of being able to standardise applications across
    | handsets, and it is in some ways remarkable to consider that only last year
    | the idea of mobile Linux was being widely derided. * * *
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communicatio...9292696,00.htm

  2. Re: [News] World Mobile Congress Claimed Dominated by Linux Platforms

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Linux-based Android and LiMo Dominate Mobile-Phone Show
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Attention at the World Mobile Congress in Barcelona has focused on
    >| Linux-based mobile platforms, including Google's Android and LiMo.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.mobile-tech-today.com/sto...story_id=58338

    It was bound to happen. It's an economic no-brainer; the industry
    makes about 1bn phones per year, so paying even 1 per OS instance would
    cost 1,000,000,000, per year.

    In 2007, there were a substantial number of PCs sold, that being about
    240 million for the full year. More info here:

    http://www.internet-nexus.com/2007/0...are-for-pc.htm

    This means that mobile devices are selling at 4 times the rate of PCs, a
    proportion of about 4:1. Whilst PC sales will certainly increase as
    ulti-mini devices like N810, Eee, OLPC arrive, it seems unlikely that
    Windows will get any traction in that space.

    Hence my point of ages ago, which I'll restate... the desktop is dead,
    and Windows only ever mattered on the desktop. Microsoft should
    consider spinning off Zune and Xbox divisions, as they might just make
    it on their own, if they could just throw off windows and adopt linux.

> [...]
    >| Purple Magic is a 3G Linux reference feature phone that costs less than $100
    >| and combines video telephony, music playback, high-speed Internet browsing,
    >| and video streaming. *
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=206101269
    >

    > Mobile World Congress preview: The year of Linux
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| What will certainly be the subject of much interest and debate is the
    >| evolution and potential of mobile Linux. There are several industry consortia
    >| dedicated to putting open-source software onto handsets and the concept now
    >| has the backing it needs to pick up momentum. Manufacturers, operators and
    >| developers all like the idea of being able to standardise applications across
    >| handsets, and it is in some ways remarkable to consider that only last year
    >| the idea of mobile Linux was being widely derided. * * *

  3. Re: [News] World Mobile Congress Claimed Dominated by Linux Platforms

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 19:13:04 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:

    > Hence my point of ages ago, which I'll restate... the desktop is dead,
    > and Windows only ever mattered on the desktop. Microsoft should
    > consider spinning off Zune and Xbox divisions, as they might just make
    > it on their own, if they could just throw off windows and adopt linux.

    You're mad.
    However, I'll make certain to forward your suggestions to the Microsoft
    "Suggestion Box" next time I'm in the general area.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [News] World Mobile Congress Claimed Dominated by Linux Platforms

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 19:13:04 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:
    >

    >> Hence my point of ages ago, which I'll restate... the desktop is
    >> dead, and Windows only ever mattered on the desktop. Microsoft
    >> should consider spinning off Zune and Xbox divisions, as they might
    >> just make it on their own, if they could just throw off windows and
    >> adopt linux.

    > You're mad.
    > However, I'll make certain to forward your suggestions to the
    > Microsoft "Suggestion Box" next time I'm in the general area.

    ho hum. Kent is telling us how MS should be run again.

    Lots of cola morons do this, despite the fact that they're uninformed peons
    with no experience running their own businesses, let alone a large public
    corporation.

  5. Re: [News] World Mobile Congress Claimed Dominated by Linux Platforms

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 22:12:55 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >> On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 19:13:04 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:
    >>

    >>> Hence my point of ages ago, which I'll restate... the desktop is
    >>> dead, and Windows only ever mattered on the desktop. Microsoft
    >>> should consider spinning off Zune and Xbox divisions, as they might
    >>> just make it on their own, if they could just throw off windows and
    >>> adopt linux.

    >> You're mad.
    >> However, I'll make certain to forward your suggestions to the
    >> Microsoft "Suggestion Box" next time I'm in the general area.

    > ho hum. Kent is telling us how MS should be run again.
    >
    > Lots of cola morons do this, despite the fact that they're uninformed peons
    > with no experience running their own businesses, let alone a large public
    > corporation.

    Mark Kent couldn't manage his own bowels let alone a mega corporation like
    Microsoft.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: