Nokia n770 arrived - Linux

This is a discussion on Nokia n770 arrived - Linux ; Despite the jaded BS from the usual crowd, the little machine works great -- even better after the update to the newest release of OS2006. Got it working with my Stowaway Bluetooth keyboard, so it's already a useful tool for ...

  1. Nokia n770 arrived

    Despite the jaded BS from the usual crowd, the little machine works great --
    even better after the update to the newest release of OS2006. Got it
    working with my Stowaway Bluetooth keyboard, so it's already a useful tool
    for me -- a very portable word processor. Anxious to get Xterm working on
    it so I can tour its innards.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  2. Re: Nokia n770 arrived

    RonB writes:

    > Despite the jaded BS from the usual crowd, the little machine works
    > great --

    Jaded BS? You reckoned you knew nothing about and reckoned you would
    only lose $20 when you resold it!

    > even better after the update to the newest release of OS2006. Got it
    > working with my Stowaway Bluetooth keyboard, so it's already a useful tool
    > for me -- a very portable word processor. Anxious to get Xterm working on
    > it so I can tour its innards.

    What do you use it for?

    ps, FWIW, I love the design of those things, but I can use my phone as a
    "word processor" too. Stick a plug in kbd into it and "bang".

    The 770 is too floored in too many ways to make it what it should
    be. Battery life not the least of it.

    Unfortunately for you Wrong, you bought it for one reason and one reason
    only - it has Linux on it.

    Tell me.

    What built in facilities does it have to sync with a bbdb file or sync
    with rsync your latest movies? (the last one I assume it does
    have). Does it have skype built in? Seriously, tell us what you will use
    it for.

  3. Re: Nokia n770 arrived

    In message ,
    Hadron wrote:

    > RonB writes:
    >
    >> Despite the jaded BS from the usual crowd, the little machine
    >> works great --

    > Jaded BS? You reckoned you knew nothing about and reckoned you
    > would only lose $20 when you resold it!
    >
    >> even better after the update to the newest release of OS2006.
    >> Got it working with my Stowaway Bluetooth keyboard, so it's
    >> already a useful tool for me -- a very portable word processor.
    >> Anxious to get Xterm working on it so I can tour its innards.

    > What do you use it for?

    Used my n800 as a digital photo viewer while on vacation. Do you
    know what 'pixel density' means? 4" diagonal screen with 800x480
    resolution. The 770 has the same display. As does the n810.

    Uploaded photos to Flickr from my hotel room. Then I googled the
    location of a restaurant. A 770 could do that just as easily.

    > ps, FWIW, I love the design of those things, but I can use my
    > phone as a "word processor" too. Stick a plug in kbd into it
    > and "bang".

    Feh.

    > The 770 is too floored in too many ways to make it what it
    > should be. Battery life not the least of it.

    I've run across few complaints about battery life.

    > Unfortunately for you Wrong, you bought it for one reason and
    > one reason only - it has Linux on it.

    I've owned Apple machines since 1994. I'm running OS X Tiger on a
    Mac mini right now.

    > Does it have skype built in?

    No, but there's a hack.

    http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=12740

    Make up your mind. The 770 can't do anything or it can't do
    everything.

    --
    http://sillyblog.net

  4. Re: Nokia n770 arrived

    On 13 Feb 2008 08:35:42 GMT, Thomas Armagost wrote:

    > In message ,
    > Hadron wrote:
    > >
    > > RonB writes:
    > >
    > >> Despite the jaded BS from the usual crowd, the little machine
    > >> works great --

    > > Jaded BS? You reckoned you knew nothing about and reckoned you
    > > would only lose $20 when you resold it!
    > >
    > >> even better after the update to the newest release of OS2006.
    > >> Got it working with my Stowaway Bluetooth keyboard, so it's
    > >> already a useful tool for me -- a very portable word processor.
    > >> Anxious to get Xterm working on it so I can tour its innards.

    > > What do you use it for?

    > Used my n800 as a digital photo viewer while on vacation. Do you
    > know what 'pixel density' means? 4" diagonal screen with 800x480
    > resolution. The 770 has the same display. As does the n810.
    >
    > Uploaded photos to Flickr from my hotel room. Then I googled the
    > location of a restaurant. A 770 could do that just as easily.
    >
    > > ps, FWIW, I love the design of those things, but I can use my
    > > phone as a "word processor" too. Stick a plug in kbd into it
    > > and "bang".

    > Feh.
    >
    > > The 770 is too floored in too many ways to make it what it
    > > should be. Battery life not the least of it.

    > I've run across few complaints about battery life.
    >
    > > Unfortunately for you Wrong, you bought it for one reason and
    > > one reason only - it has Linux on it.

    > I've owned Apple machines since 1994. I'm running OS X Tiger on a
    > Mac mini right now.
    >
    > > Does it have skype built in?

    > No, but there's a hack.
    >
    > http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=12740
    >
    > Make up your mind. The 770 can't do anything or it can't do
    > everything.

    Who in their right mind would want to lug around a POS like that?
    I just looked at the Cnet review and it looks like a boat anchor.
    Even the reviewer kind of indicated that...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: Nokia n770 arrived

    Thomas Armagost wrote:

    > Make up your mind. ┬*The 770 can't do anything or it can't do
    > everything.

    I'm just learning what my 770 can do -- and I'm enjoying the experience. As
    for Hadron, he apparently has nothing better to do, trapped in his bitter
    little world, then attack anyone who happens to be enjoying themself.
    That's what too many years of working with Windows muck will do to you.

    BTW, got xterm working. Now the n770 feels like *real* Linux box to me.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  6. Re: Nokia n770 arrived

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 03:41:55 -0500, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > Who in their right mind would want to lug around a POS like that?

    Explain why exactly it's a POS.

    > I just looked at the Cnet review and it looks like a boat anchor.
    > Even the reviewer kind of indicated that...

    My brother bought the N810 recently, which is more advanced, but basically
    similar. It's a long way from being a boat anchor.

    --
    Kier

  7. Re: Nokia n770 arrived

    RonB writes:

    > Thomas Armagost wrote:
    >
    >> Make up your mind. ┬*The 770 can't do anything or it can't do
    >> everything.

    > I'm just learning what my 770 can do -- and I'm enjoying the experience. As
    > for Hadron, he apparently has nothing better to do, trapped in his bitter
    > little world, then attack anyone who happens to be enjoying themself.
    > That's what too many years of working with Windows muck will do to
    > you.

    Huh? What are you talking about? I don't use Windows.

    > BTW, got xterm working. Now the n770 feels like *real* Linux box to
    > me.

    In what way?

  8. Re: Nokia n770 arrived

    * Kier peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 03:41:55 -0500, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> Who in their right mind would want to lug around a POS like that?

    > Explain why exactly it's a POS.
    >
    >> I just looked at the Cnet review and it looks like a boat anchor.
    >> Even the reviewer kind of indicated that...

    > My brother bought the N810 recently, which is more advanced, but basically
    > similar. It's a long way from being a boat anchor.

    Now flatfish, /that's/ a real boat anchor.

    --
    We are not even close to finishing the basic dream of what the PC can be.
    -- Bill Gates

  9. Re: Nokia n770 arrived

    RonB wrote:

    > BTW, got xterm working. Now the n770 feels like *real* Linux box to
    > me.

    Real Linux: real slow and real ugly.

  10. Re: Nokia n770 arrived

    Hadron wrote:

    > Huh? What are you talking about? I don't use Windows.

    What do you do for a living, Hadron?

  11. Re: Nokia n770 arrived

    DFS wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Huh? What are you talking about? I don't use Windows.

    > What do you do for a living, Hadron?

    Trolling. And Unemployment line
    --
    Warning: You have moved the mouse.
    Windows will reboot now to make the change permanent

  12. Re: Nokia n770 arrived

    * Peter K÷hlmann peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> Huh? What are you talking about? I don't use Windows.

    >> What do you do for a living, Hadron?

    > Trolling. And Unemployment line

    Actually, Peter, I think Hadron is working hard on accelerating
    particles.

    On a billiards table.

    --
    DOS is ugly and interferes with users' experience.
    -- Bill Gates

  13. Re: Nokia n770 arrived

    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.

  14. Re: Nokia n770 arrived

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 08:19:02 +0100,
    Hadron wrote:
    > RonB writes:
    >
    >> Despite the jaded BS from the usual crowd, the little machine works
    >> great --

    > Jaded BS? You reckoned you knew nothing about and reckoned you would
    > only lose $20 when you resold it!
    >
    >> even better after the update to the newest release of OS2006. Got it
    >> working with my Stowaway Bluetooth keyboard, so it's already a useful tool
    >> for me -- a very portable word processor. Anxious to get Xterm working on
    >> it so I can tour its innards.

    > What do you use it for?

    I use mine for web browsing, incl google maps. I'd like a bluetooth GPS
    to add to that, but haven't done that yet. I use it for reading ebooks,
    for listening to podcasts, (usually do that with the iPod though, better
    battery life. )

    > ps, FWIW, I love the design of those things, but I can use my phone as a
    > "word processor" too. Stick a plug in kbd into it and "bang".

    what's the screen res and size? I *could* do that with my phone, but
    it'd really suck, screen just simply not up to the task.

    > The 770 is too floored in too many ways to make it what it should
    > be. Battery life not the least of it.

    "too floored"? you mean "too flawed"?

    yeah, battery life could be better. On the plus side, the battery is a
    std cell phone one, and a spare is both cheap (relatively), and easy to
    get, and easy to replace. Unlike, say, an iPhone.

    > Unfortunately for you Wrong, you bought it for one reason and one reason
    > only - it has Linux on it.

    even if that were true, why is it "unfortunate"?

    > Tell me.
    >
    > What built in facilities does it have to sync with a bbdb file or sync
    > with rsync your latest movies? (the last one I assume it does
    > have). Does it have skype built in? Seriously, tell us what you will use
    > it for.

    Fornication, n.:
    Term used by people who don't have anybody to screw with.

  15. Re: Nokia n770 arrived

    Jim Richardson wrote:

    > I've had one for two years now, it's great. Funnily enough, although I
    > expected to, I never did install xterm and such for 'hacking' on, I just
    > use it. I did add some maemo packages, for things like ebooks. It's been
    > working very well, although I do consider getting an n810 just because
    > of the keyboard. I'd probably be more interested in installing xterm et
    > al then.

    I've got a BlueTooth Stowaway keyboard that I bought when Amazon had them
    cheap. I had expected to use it on my Palm Centro, but they're not really
    making drivers at iGo anymore -- and, apparently, the Centro only halfway
    supports BlueTooth standards. At any rate, after installing BlueTooth
    support for the 770, the keyboard works well.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  16. Re: Nokia n770 arrived

    The real fun of living wisely is that you get to feel smug about it
    -- Hobbes

  17. Re: Nokia n770 arrived

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 10:51:14 -0500, Clyde Wrinkle wrote:

    >> Before I bought my n810, I looked at the iPod touch as well, but there
    >> were
    >> some serious problems.
    >>
    >> 1) Lack of a note-taking application

    > I have the "B" model with the firmware upgrade. There is a note taking app
    > right on the home screen. The icon is titled "Notes"

    It looks like you're right. When I looked in early January there wasn't
    any sign of that on the units I saw.

    >> 2) No Bluetooth, so you can't hook up an external keyboard for those
    >> times
    >> when you want to write more than is comfortable with an onscreen
    >> keyboard.

    > True.

    This wouldn't be as much of a problem if it had a stylus and handwriting
    recognition (though bluetooth would still be nice, though they do have it
    in the iPhone.. not sure if you can use an external keyboard though).

    >> 3) No syncing with Outlook

    > Acutally it does sync with Outlook. Maybe the "A" firmware model didn't but
    > the "B" with the upgraded firmware does synch with both Outlook and Outlook
    > Express.

    Including contact and calendar information? That's cool, though it doesn't
    mention it anywhere in the specs.

    >> 4) No third party apps (without jailbreak, which fails everytime they do
    >> firmware update)

    > This is going to change very much, very quickly. Apple announced at their
    > annual event that this month (Feb-08) they would release a free SDK for the
    > iPod Touch and iPhone. It hasn't been released yet but when it does get
    > released, there will be official support for 3rd party apps by Apple. No
    > more need for jailbreak or anything like that once the official SDK is out
    > in a few more weeks.

    Well, if and when that happens, that will be a major hit to my list of
    excuses

    >> If those problems were solved, i'd buy one in a heartbeat, but alas.. not
    >> likely anytime soon.

    > Pretty much everything but bluetooth isn't a problem. I looked at the Nokia
    > and it was too big and it was very sluggish. The iPod is fast.. very fast.
    > No matter what you click on or do it responds instantly and the UI is
    > absolutely stunning. The Nokia... it looks and acts like a device that a
    > bunch of engineers put together. The UI isn't consistent at all.

    My list had also, previously, included that it needed at least 32GB, which
    is no longer an issue with the touch, but i'm thinking more and more about
    the iPhone (because of bluetooth), but that's limited to only 16GB now.

    I still wish it had a stylus and handwriting recognition. I know there is
    a company selling styluses third party, but i worry about the granularity
    of the touch interface for use with a stylus. It may not work well for
    drawings and diagrams, if someone were to write a 3rd party paint app for
    it.

    The touch/iphone are *almost* there.. just a little more, Apple, and it
    will be the perfect device.

  18. Re: Nokia n770 arrived

    "Erik Funkenbusch" wrote in message
    > On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 10:51:14 -0500, Clyde Wrinkle wrote:
    >
    >>> Before I bought my n810, I looked at the iPod touch as well, but there
    >>> were
    >>> some serious problems.
    >>>
    >>> 1) Lack of a note-taking application

    >> I have the "B" model with the firmware upgrade. There is a note taking
    >> app
    >> right on the home screen. The icon is titled "Notes"

    > It looks like you're right. When I looked in early January there wasn't
    > any sign of that on the units I saw.

    I never looked at the iPod touch until someone at work bought one a few
    weeks ago. By then the "B" model with the upgraded firmware was out with
    these features.

    >>> 2) No Bluetooth, so you can't hook up an external keyboard for those
    >>> times
    >>> when you want to write more than is comfortable with an onscreen
    >>> keyboard.

    >> True.

    > This wouldn't be as much of a problem if it had a stylus and handwriting
    > recognition (though bluetooth would still be nice, though they do have it
    > in the iPhone.. not sure if you can use an external keyboard though).

    No stylus or handwriting recognition. Not an issue for me but I can see how
    it might be for someone else with different usage patterns.

    >>> 3) No syncing with Outlook

    >> Acutally it does sync with Outlook. Maybe the "A" firmware model didn't
    >> but
    >> the "B" with the upgraded firmware does synch with both Outlook and
    >> Outlook
    >> Express.

    > Including contact and calendar information? That's cool, though it
    > doesn't
    > mention it anywhere in the specs.

    -- "iTunes has the ability to sync your contacts and calendars from
    Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express and contacts from Microsoft Address
    Book to any iPod with a display screen1 (Note: Outlook 2003 or later is
    required to sync contacts and calendars from Outlook). To configure iTunes
    to sync contacts to your iPod:"

    >>> 4) No third party apps (without jailbreak, which fails everytime they
    >>> do
    >>> firmware update)

    >> This is going to change very much, very quickly. Apple announced at
    >> their
    >> annual event that this month (Feb-08) they would release a free SDK for
    >> the
    >> iPod Touch and iPhone. It hasn't been released yet but when it does get
    >> released, there will be official support for 3rd party apps by Apple. No
    >> more need for jailbreak or anything like that once the official SDK is
    >> out
    >> in a few more weeks.

    > Well, if and when that happens, that will be a major hit to my list of
    > excuses

    I think it will be very cool. I'm sure that independent and commercial 3rd
    party writers will come up with some really interesting apps for it.

    >>> If those problems were solved, i'd buy one in a heartbeat, but alas..
    >>> not
    >>> likely anytime soon.

    >> Pretty much everything but bluetooth isn't a problem. I looked at the
    >> Nokia
    >> and it was too big and it was very sluggish. The iPod is fast.. very
    >> fast.
    >> No matter what you click on or do it responds instantly and the UI is
    >> absolutely stunning. The Nokia... it looks and acts like a device that a
    >> bunch of engineers put together. The UI isn't consistent at all.

    > My list had also, previously, included that it needed at least 32GB,
    > which
    > is no longer an issue with the touch, but i'm thinking more and more
    > about
    > the iPhone (because of bluetooth), but that's limited to only 16GB now.
    >
    > I still wish it had a stylus and handwriting recognition. I know there
    > is
    > a company selling styluses third party, but i worry about the granularity
    > of the touch interface for use with a stylus. It may not work well for
    > drawings and diagrams, if someone were to write a 3rd party paint app for
    > it.
    >
    > The touch/iphone are *almost* there.. just a little more, Apple, and it
    > will be the perfect device.

    It's very impressive. I was never a big Apple fan but after using this for
    about 2-weeks now it continues to impress me. It's amazing how well every
    app is integrated. The UI is just so slick and thought out so well. 99% of
    what you need is right there in the correct spot.

    The stylus isn't a big deal for me. My old PDA (Toshiba PocketPC) had a
    stylus and it was a bit of a pain pulling it out every time I wanted to
    anything simple. Not so bad when I'm sitting in bed but if I'm out skiing
    or biking then it's just something that I don't want to bother with.

    It's a great iPod too.

  19. Re: Nokia n770 arrived

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 13:00:07 -0500, Clyde Wrinkle wrote:

    >> This wouldn't be as much of a problem if it had a stylus and handwriting
    >> recognition (though bluetooth would still be nice, though they do have it
    >> in the iPhone.. not sure if you can use an external keyboard though).

    > No stylus or handwriting recognition. Not an issue for me but I can see how
    > it might be for someone else with different usage patterns.

    I've been doing some looking, and apparently you can't hook up a normal
    bluetooth keyboard to the iPhone (people have tried), but there's a company
    claiming they'll have one in March that works.. that looks promising.

    The reason for a stylus is two-fold.

    1) I need to make various diagrams and drawings pretty often. I know
    there's a "sketch" app or something for the iPhone, but it's really
    fat-fingerd to do it with fingers.

    2) Handwriting recognition for when I have to write large amounts of stuff
    and thumbpad typing just doesn't cut it.

    > -- "iTunes has the ability to sync your contacts and calendars from
    > Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express and contacts from Microsoft Address
    > Book to any iPod with a display screen1 (Note: Outlook 2003 or later is
    > required to sync contacts and calendars from Outlook). To configure iTunes
    > to sync contacts to your iPod:"

    Great, one less excuse.. lol

    > It's a great iPod too.

    Well, yeah..

  20. Re: Nokia n770 arrived

    In article <47b99ddf$0$3042$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>,
    "Clyde Wrinkle" wrote:
    > > 1) Lack of a note-taking application

    > I have the "B" model with the firmware upgrade. There is a note taking app
    > right on the home screen. The icon is titled "Notes"

    Assuming the Touch has the same Notes application as the iPhone, that
    application is close to worthless. The notes don't sync to the computer.

    --
    --Tim Smith

+ Reply to Thread