[News] Stephen Fry Advocates GNU/Linux, Linux 'Desktop' Domination Possible - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Stephen Fry Advocates GNU/Linux, Linux 'Desktop' Domination Possible - Linux ; Can Stephen Fry deliver open source to the UK? ,----[ Quote ] | “The two great pillars of Open Source are the GNU project and Linux. I shan’t | burden you with too much detail, I’ll just make the outrageous ...

  1. [News] Stephen Fry Advocates GNU/Linux, Linux 'Desktop' Domination Possible

    Can Stephen Fry deliver open source to the UK?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | “The two great pillars of Open Source are the GNU project and Linux. I shan’t
    | burden you with too much detail, I’ll just make the outrageous claim that
    | your computer will be running some descendant of those two within the next
    | five years and that your life will be better and happier as a result.”
    |
    | Fry has previously advocated the adoption of Firefox and discussed the
    | problems caused by proprietary music formats, amongst other things.
    `----

    http://blogs.the451group.com/opensou...rce-to-the-uk/

    How to Create a Desktop Linux Monopoly

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | What if I told you that it would actually be possible to see a Linux monopoly
    | with the right components in place taking form within a short five-year
    | period? That would be impossible due to licensing and availability, right?
    |
    | Nonsense. While it would never "out maneuver" Microsoft Windows or OS X from
    | a monopolistic point on view, with certain things in place, a company pushing
    | a tightly controlled Linux distribution could definitely corner the desktop
    | Linux market in a very short period of time.
    `----

    http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/article.php/3727516

    Recent:

    Deliver us from Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This is a computer designed as an introductory machine for children or
    | adults, as well as a simple cheap do-it-all machine along the “One Laptop Per
    | Child” model but which is also absolutely ideal as a truly cheap, portable,
    | resilient device to slam into a backpack or briefcase. Everything you could
    | want is there in free, Open Source form. It does not pretend to cater for the
    | power user but, while file management is basic for the average person,
    | tuxheads (Linux experts) can go straight to terminal mode and do their stuff.
    | Meanwhile, for the rest of us, this is a wonderful little friend who does all
    | we need straight out of the box. And it is only the beginning… * * * *
    `----

    http://stephenfry.com/blog/?p=39

  2. Re: [News] Stephen Fry Advocates GNU/Linux, Linux 'Desktop' Domination Possible

    [H]omer espoused:

    >> Can Stephen Fry deliver open source to the UK?

    > Who'da thunk that Lord Melchett would become an advocate of the people?
    >
    > Good for him.

    Oh, it really is *that* Stephen Fry...

    The very excellent Jeeves & Wooster has been showing recently on ITV4,
    so I'm tending to see Fry as Jeeves at the moment...

    "Indeed Sir, it is a fine operating system, worthy of the attentions
    of all gentlemen of taste and character..."

    "Perhaps Sir would care to start X? It is very simple."

  3. Re: [News] Stephen Fry Advocates GNU/Linux, Linux 'Desktop' Domination Possible

    Mark Kent wrote:

    > [H]omer espoused:
    >>
    >>> Can Stephen Fry deliver open source to the UK?

    >> Who'da thunk that Lord Melchett would become an advocate of the people?
    >>
    >> Good for him.
    >>

    > Oh, it really is *that* Stephen Fry...
    >
    > The very excellent Jeeves & Wooster has been showing recently on ITV4,
    > so I'm tending to see Fry as Jeeves at the moment...
    >
    > "Indeed Sir, it is a fine operating system, worthy of the attentions
    > of all gentlemen of taste and character..."
    >
    > "Perhaps Sir would care to start X? It is very simple."

    Yes, he writes a column for The Guardian. Over the last few weeks/months, he's
    been discussing Open Source.
    http://www.stephenfry.com/blog/

    --
    Free-BSD 7.0, PC-BSD 1.4
    Linux systems: PCLOS 2007, Mandrake One 2008,

  4. Re: [News] Stephen Fry Advocates GNU/Linux, Linux 'Desktop' Domination Possible

    [H]omer wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:
    >
    >> Oh, it really is *that* Stephen Fry...

    > Yes indeed, the rebellious scallywag that he is.
    >
    >> The very excellent Jeeves & Wooster has been showing recently on
    >> ITV4, so I'm tending to see Fry as Jeeves at the moment...

    > I hadn't seen him for years, then all of a sudden, over the Christmas
    > period, I saw him in four separate things; Blackadder's Christmas Carol,
    > Have I Got News For You, V for Vendetta, and Derren Brown: Trick of the
    > Mind (on DVD).

    And the (IMO) entertaining "QI". :-)

    --
    Free-BSD 7.0, PC-BSD 1.4
    Linux systems: PCLOS 2007, Mandrake One 2008,
    Fedora 8, Kubuntu 7.10.
    -- On 64bit systems --

  5. Re: [News] Stephen Fry Advocates GNU/Linux, Linux 'Desktop' Domination Possible

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 23:21:09 +0000, [H]omer wrote:

    >> "Perhaps Sir would care to start X? It is very simple."

    > "No thank you Jeeves; I prefer the command line."
    > "I like issuing commands. Ffnnnaaaaar!"

    You must have a riot editing video or touching up those photographs.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  6. Re: [News] Stephen Fry Advocates GNU/Linux, Linux 'Desktop' Domination Possible

    ____/ William Poaster on Wednesday 13 February 2008 23:55 : \____

    > Mark Kent wrote:
    >
    >> [H]omer espoused:

    >>> Who'da thunk that Lord Melchett would become an advocate of the people?
    >>>
    >>> Good for him.
    >>>

    >> Oh, it really is *that* Stephen Fry...
    >>
    >> The very excellent Jeeves & Wooster has been showing recently on ITV4,
    >> so I'm tending to see Fry as Jeeves at the moment...
    >>
    >> "Indeed Sir, it is a fine operating system, worthy of the attentions
    >> of all gentlemen of taste and character..."
    >>
    >> "Perhaps Sir would care to start X? It is very simple."

    > Yes, he writes a column for The Guardian. Over the last few weeks/months,
    > he's been discussing Open Source.
    > http://www.stephenfry.com/blog/

    He looks ahead.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Microsoft's Counter-Supportive Evangelist (MCSE)
    Tasks: 137 total, 1 running, 136 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  7. Re: [News] Stephen Fry Advocates GNU/Linux, Linux 'Desktop' Domination Possible

    William Poaster espoused:
    > [H]omer wrote:
    >
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:
    >>
    >>> Oh, it really is *that* Stephen Fry...

    >> Yes indeed, the rebellious scallywag that he is.
    >>
    >>> The very excellent Jeeves & Wooster has been showing recently on
    >>> ITV4, so I'm tending to see Fry as Jeeves at the moment...

    >> I hadn't seen him for years, then all of a sudden, over the Christmas
    >> period, I saw him in four separate things; Blackadder's Christmas Carol,
    >> Have I Got News For You, V for Vendetta, and Derren Brown: Trick of the
    >> Mind (on DVD).

    > And the (IMO) entertaining "QI". :-)

    QI is very popular with several of my friends.

    >>> "Indeed Sir, it is a fine operating system, worthy of the attentions
    >>> of all gentlemen of taste and character..."
    >>>
    >>> "Perhaps Sir would care to start X? It is very simple."

    >> "No thank you Jeeves; I prefer the command line."
    >> "I like issuing commands. Ffnnnaaaaar!"

  8. Re: [News] Stephen Fry Advocates GNU/Linux, Linux 'Desktop' Domination Possible

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ William Poaster on Wednesday 13 February 2008 23:55 : \____
    >
    >> Mark Kent wrote:
    >>
    >>> [H]omer espoused:

    >>> Oh, it really is *that* Stephen Fry...
    >>>
    >>> The very excellent Jeeves & Wooster has been showing recently on ITV4,
    >>> so I'm tending to see Fry as Jeeves at the moment...
    >>>
    >>> "Indeed Sir, it is a fine operating system, worthy of the attentions
    >>> of all gentlemen of taste and character..."
    >>>
    >>> "Perhaps Sir would care to start X? It is very simple."

    >> Yes, he writes a column for The Guardian. Over the last few weeks/months,
    >> he's been discussing Open Source.
    >> http://www.stephenfry.com/blog/

    > He looks ahead.

    He goes ever further up in my estimation. He really is a kind of modern
    day Oscar Wilde...

  9. Re: [News] Stephen Fry Advocates GNU/Linux, Linux 'Desktop' Domination Possible

    On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 22:36:25 +0000, [H]omer wrote:

    > He is an extraordinarily engaging, witty and eloquent writer, but then
    > that's hardly surprising for a man with a degree in English literature
    > from Cambridge. He's quite an asset for Free Software advocacy.

    http://www.abiword.org/~abi/expo99/expo_02_010_full.jpg

    When are you going to release the source code to your weekly
    comp.os.linux.advocacy statistics program [Homer] ?

    You expect others to do it.

    Why don't you follow your own advice?

    [Homer] = [Hypocrite] != Linux Advocate.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: [News] Stephen Fry Advocates GNU/Linux, Linux 'Desktop' Domination Possible

    [H]omer espoused:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:
    >
    >> He goes ever further up in my estimation. He really is a kind of modern
    >> day Oscar Wilde...

    > Well he did play the role in Brian Gilbert's film.
    >
    > He is an extraordinarily engaging, witty and eloquent writer, but then
    > that's hardly surprising for a man with a degree in English literature
    > from Cambridge. He's quite an asset for Free Software advocacy.

    Douglas Adams was a big Mac fan, as I recall... Artistic types are far
    more technically adept than many marketing and sales people would like
    to recognise.