UP Colleges computerize Student Council elections

,----[ Quote ]
| To be used will be the Halalan Voting System, a Linux-based application
| developed by UP students, which will run on existing computers in the
| participating colleges.
|
| [...]
|
| “Halalan had initially been conceived to run on the UP Diliman campus’ wide
| area network (WAN). But unresolved issues on the reliability of its
| connectivity caused the application to be made to run in its backup mode, via
| LAN in colleges opting to adopt it,” said John Bitanga, Unplug president, who
| also spoke with Tech Times.
|
| “Halalan is basically a relational database system running on SUSE Linux.
| When first used in 2007, its developer platform was PostSQL. However, it has
| been enhanced this year and migrated to the MySQL platform. Both run on Open
| Source,” Bitanga added.
`----

http://www.manilatimes.net/national/...0211tech1.html

Recent:

A Far-Fetched Fix for E-Voting Woes: Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| "Absolutely, open source voting software could be used and should be used.
| There are two major issues facing open source voting software," said
| Almond. "First, no one in the U.S. has funded a project to build the
| software. Second, the voting laws across the U.S. are not sufficiently
| standardized to make the creation of this software practical." * *
|
| However, others note that the solutions to e-voting problems go beyond
| questions of proprietary versus open source programming of the machines. If
| the use of open source did nothing else, though, it would promote public
| trust for the electronic voting process, believes David Dill, professor of *
| computer science at Stanford University and cochair of the USENIX Electronic
| Voting Technology Workshop. * *
`----

Open Voting Process Demonstrated in San Luis Obispo

,----[ Quote ]
| We used the Ubuntu (Linux) operating system, which is also free and open
| source. As always, our code is publicly available [1].
`----

http://www.openvotingconsortium.org/...an_luis_obispo

Related:

S.F. supervisors' panel backs Sequoia voting machines

,----[ Quote ]
| Such so-called open-source code would allow for public scrutiny of the
| * * * * * * * *^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| accuracy of the equipment and act as a guard against tampering with
| elections. The problem is, no company sells open-source systems, citing *
| concerns about giving away their technology to competitors. *
|
| [...]
|
| The contract also mandates that Sequoia switch to open-source code within a
| * * * * * * * * * ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| year if another company brings such a product to the market. Supervisor Tom
| Ammiano, who sits on the committee, also recommended the creation of a task
| force to evaluate the city's options in the future, including whether San
| Francisco could create, manufacture and sell its own voting technology. * *
`----

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../BAQ5TOSG7.DTL

ES&S e-voting system used in California cracked wide open

,----[ Quote ]
| "Once done, all the files can be accessed and potentially modified, including
| sensitive files such as the password file which can be cracked by openly
| available cracker programs. New users may be added with known passwords and
| used by the same attacker or other attackers later." *
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-machines.html

California to Start Review of Voting Machines

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?si...40206&from=rss

,----[ Quote ]
| ...California Secretary of State Debra Bowen commissioned the study
| which pitted two hacker teams, better known as "Red Teams" against
| voting machines manufactured by Diebold, Hart and Sequoia....
|
| Abbott's team was able to access election data directly by exploiting
| vulnerabilities in the Diebold machine's Windows operating system - an
| operating system that all three e-voting machines use....
|
| Vigna's team also found physical security on the Sequoia voting
| machine to be inadequate. *They gained access to the machine's insides
| by unscrewing a few locks and discovered that the screws with not
| protected by seals....
|
| The study adds that all three machines used some form of Windows
| operating system and that each machine's *firmware was easily
| overwritten by the teams...
`----

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/33137/118/

End the secrecy of electronic voting

,----[ Quote ]
| We have no opportunity to determine whether electronic voting machines are
| properly programmed to record and count our votes -- merely because the
| corporate vendors of these machines insist on keeping their programming *
| "source code" a trade secret.
`----

http://www.contracostatimes.com/opin...nclick_check=1

E-voting vendor succumbs to California source code demands

,----[ Quote ]
| "... there are serious concerns regarding the motivations and apparent
| personal agendas of a number of the currently proposed examiners," ES&S
| exec StevenPearson wrote in a letter agreeing to turn over the source
| code.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06...de_disclosure/

John Edwards supports "open source" for voting systems

,----[ Quote ]
| John Edwards has become the first presidential candidate to support
| "open source code" for election systems.
`----

http://www.freepress.org/departments...28628252476494

Microsoft Muscles the NYS Legislature

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft’s proposed change to state law would effectively render
| our current requirements for escrow and the ability for independent
| review of source code in the event of disputes completely meaningless
| - and with it the protections the public fought so hard for.
`----

http://nyvv.org/blog/bolipariblog.html

Halt e-voting, says election body

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite the commission saying security needed to be "strengthened", Mr Will
| said: "We are pleased that the evaluations point to a high level of system
| security and user confidence in e-voting systems tested and that the security
| and integrity of the polls was not compromised. *
`----

Most vote machines lose test to hackers

,----[ Quote ]
| "The vendors appeared to have designed systems that were not high assurance
| (of security)," said Bishop, a recognized expert on computer security. "The
| security seems like it was added on.'' *
`----

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...TING.TMP&tsp=1

State legislators keep e-voting apps in public hands

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/...rss-linux-news

,----[ Quote ]