[News] Adobe Releases New Reader for Linux, Pidgin and GTK Hit Milestones - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Adobe Releases New Reader for Linux, Pidgin and GTK Hit Milestones - Linux ; Adobe Reader 8.1.1 on Linux and Sparc Solaris is here! ,----[ Quote ] | We're pleased to announce the release of Adobe Reader 8.1.1 on Linux and | Sparc Solaris. `---- http://blogs.adobe.com/acroread/2007...nux_and_1.html Linux is no longer a second-class citizen to ...

  1. [News] Adobe Releases New Reader for Linux, Pidgin and GTK Hit Milestones

    Adobe Reader 8.1.1 on Linux and Sparc Solaris is here!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | We're pleased to announce the release of Adobe Reader 8.1.1 on Linux and
    | Sparc Solaris.
    `----

    http://blogs.adobe.com/acroread/2007...nux_and_1.html

    Linux is no longer a second-class citizen to Adobe. Here's a review:

    Adobe Acrobat Reader 8.1.1 For Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The most important fix since Adobe Reader 7.0.9 is that now Adobe Reader 8
    | works with new Linux distributions, which use recent GTK 2.0 libraries.
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=836&num=1

    GTK+ 2.12 released

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | GTK+ 2.12 adds significant new functionality while maintaining
    | source and binary compatibility with GTK+ 2.10.
    `----

    http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-d.../msg00052.html

    Pidgin 2.2.0 Released

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Pidgin, the open-source instant messenger program previously known as GAIM,
    | is out with version 2.2 this morning.
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjA1Nw

    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=539413

  2. Re: [News] Adobe Releases New Reader for Linux, Pidgin and GTK HitMilestones

    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The most important fix since Adobe Reader 7.0.9 is that now Adobe Reader 8
    > | works with new Linux distributions, which use recent GTK 2.0 libraries.
    > `----

    An even more important fix would be to make it Open Source, then I might
    actually be interested.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    | - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    `----

    18:34:26 up 37 days, 17:29, 1 user, load average: 0.39, 0.31, 0.27

  3. Re: [News] Adobe Releases New Reader for Linux, Pidgin and GTK Hit Milestones

    ____/ [H]omer on Saturday 15 September 2007 18:36 : \____

    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | The most important fix since Adobe Reader 7.0.9 is that now Adobe Reader 8
    >> | works with new Linux distributions, which use recent GTK 2.0 libraries.
    >> `----

    > An even more important fix would be to make it Open Source, then I might
    > actually be interested.

    They will probably take some stuff open source to keep Microsoft away. But jd
    had a real allergy for open source and he makes it very clear in his blog and
    some of his comments in Digg.

    Adobe is arrogant. Let them suffer a little and they will realise that they
    have to honour the costumer, or else they will lose business. Watch what AMD
    did with its GPU driver.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Within reason, consider Free software. The best things in life are also free.
    run-level 2 2007-09-10 01:53 last=