Re: [News] Apache and GNU/Linux on the Rise - Linux

  2. Re: [News] Apache and GNU/Linux on the Rise

    ____/ ed on Saturday 09 February 2008 11:12 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Open source rising
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Apache, the world’s numero uno Web server, is going strong. As per
    >> | Netcraft’s December 2007 survey, Apache has close to 50% of the market
    >> | with Microsoft’s IIS coming second with almost 36%. The contender to watch
    >> | here is Google which is increasing its market share (now 5.5%) unlike all
    >> | the other players which are seeing slow declines.
    >> |
    >> | Talking of Netcraft, it has a rather interesting search that lets you find
    >> | out what OS any site is running and it lists download.microsoft.com and
    >> | search.microsoft.com as running Linux. Strange, if true.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.expresscomputeronline.com...1/edit01.shtml

    > Apache has a much better programming interface than ISAPI.
    >
    > It's easy to bang out modules and debug with Apache but IIS is just a PITA.

    Security is a serious concern as well. Just days ago, an AV software company
    had its Windows server hijacked and it served viruses instead of AV software.
    While trying to track down the domain, Google stopped me to warn about a
    virus. Later on I received the following E-mail from a friend (Apache vs IIS
    being the context).

    ===
    Here's a very old, but recently updated, blog entry:
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/threatchaos/?p=311

    I'd hate to see what MS Vista looks like. However, there it is. It would be
    really great if the same diagrams could be acquired for other kernels.

    Speaking of system calls, here's an article which points out a flaw in several
    systems. For the publicity, it goes after OpenBSD, probabl because the odds
    are small of an article openly critical of MS being permitted:
    http://www.watson.org/~robert/2007woot/

    The bottom line is that it's trivial to circumvent each and every Windows
    anti-virus product on the market.
    ===

    Watch that ZDNet post if you haven't.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    ..oʍʇ sɐ buıɥʇ ɥɔns ou s,ǝɹǝɥʇ 'ɹǝpuǝq 'ʎɹɹoʍ ʇ,uop :ʎɹɟ
    ..oʍʇ ɐ ʍɐs ı ʇɥbnoɥʇ ı puɐ ...ǝɹǝɥʍʎɹǝʌǝ soɹǝz puɐ sǝuo .ɯɐǝɹp 1nɟʍɐ uɐ
    ʇɐɥʍ 'ɥɥɥɐ :ɹǝpuǝq

  3. Re: [News] Apache and GNU/Linux on the Rise

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > ____/ ed on Saturday 09 February 2008 11:12 : \____

    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> Open source rising
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.expresscomputeronline.com...1/edit01.shtml

    >> Apache has a much better programming interface than ISAPI.
    >>
    >> It's easy to bang out modules and debug with Apache but IIS is just a PITA.

    > Security is a serious concern as well. Just days ago, an AV software company
    > had its Windows server hijacked and it served viruses instead of AV software.
    > While trying to track down the domain, Google stopped me to warn about a
    > virus. Later on I received the following E-mail from a friend (Apache vs IIS
    > being the context).
    >
    > ===
    > Here's a very old, but recently updated, blog entry:
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/threatchaos/?p=311
    >
    > I'd hate to see what MS Vista looks like. However, there it is. It would be
    > really great if the same diagrams could be acquired for other kernels.
    >
    > Speaking of system calls, here's an article which points out a flaw in several
    > systems. For the publicity, it goes after OpenBSD, probabl because the odds
    > are small of an article openly critical of MS being permitted:
    > http://www.watson.org/~robert/2007woot/
    >
    > The bottom line is that it's trivial to circumvent each and every Windows
    > anti-virus product on the market.
    > ===
    >
    > Watch that ZDNet post if you haven't.

    I've seen that syscall post a while back, it was concerning to say the
    least.

    Really the most annoying thing is the way that ISAPI works, just a pain
    in the butt. It's no surprise that people don't really want to do
    anything productive with it.

    The *ONLY* thing I can think that IIS has on it's side is the HTTP SYN
    abuse between IE <-> IIS to skip the TCP hand shake.

    http://s5h.net/u?c6

    It's probably partly the reason for FF market share growth since 50% of
    pages will load faster in ff as it obeys protocol and does not wait
    around for time outs.

    Another thing, IIS is probably leaving itself open for abuse by forging
    requests from random sources, I'll have to test that out in a VM or
    something when my yawn meter is in the red.

    - --
    The Ether to www.panic.net is hosed because of the death of dot com
    companies.
    Valve Software is browsing slashdot.
    :: http://www.s5h.net/ :: http://www.s5h.net/gpg.html

  4. Re: [News] Apache and GNU/Linux on the Rise

    * ed peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > The *ONLY* thing I can think that IIS has on it's side is the HTTP SYN
    > abuse between IE <-> IIS to skip the TCP hand shake.
    >
    > http://s5h.net/u?c6

    That's old (2002). Still funny, though:

    But IE to non-IIS servers waste a packet at the beginning of each
    request-- and depending on how the server handles that illegal
    request, it might immediately RST it, or it might just time out...
    which would make the browser seem infuriatingly slow to connect to
    new websites.

    This is only marginally less stupid than RunTCP's "solution"-- and I
    say "marginally" only because in the grand scheme of things, this
    probably makes sense to Microsoft's network engineers. After all,
    eventually all clients will be Windows platforms running IE, and all
    servers will be Windows platforms running IIS. And then we can break
    all kinds of rules! Rules are only there to hold us back and force us
    to play nice with other vendors. Well, once the other vendors are all
    gone, who cares about some stupid RFC?

    I have to admire their arrogance and their confidence. But it'll be
    some time before I can bring myself to admire their technical
    integrity.

    --
    People everywhere love Windows.
    -- Bill Gates

  5. Re: [News] Apache and GNU/Linux on the Rise

+ Reply to Thread