The newcomer to Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on The newcomer to Linux - Linux ; No trolling, no ego, no axe to grid. Hi, This is a perspective on maybe how a newcomer to the world of Linux feels. (This newcomer is me). I bought a new tower with Ubuntu pre-installed, but quickly tired of ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 65

  1. The newcomer to Linux

    No trolling, no ego, no axe to grid.
    Hi, This is a perspective on maybe how a newcomer to the world of Linux
    feels. (This newcomer is me).
    I bought a new tower with Ubuntu pre-installed, but quickly tired of it.
    Ubuntu works quite well, and is quite newbie-friendly, but somehow isn't
    quite *there*. I cannot see the point of forks, e.g. Mint etc., and find
    that most distro websites do not fully work, or are fighting amongst
    themselves.
    So, the hunt was on for my perfect distribution. I haven't found it yet.
    I have tried most mainstream distros and have actually bought two, but I
    suspect I will have to just keep looking, hoping and waiting for *the one*.

    I dislike Windows with a passion for many reasons, which is why I have begun
    my search for alternatives.
    I like both Gnome and KDE and do not play games.
    I like integration (Kontact, Evolution)
    I would like media supported out of the box
    I would like out of the box support for my graphics card (Nvidia), but do
    not need Compiz or Wow, just impressive, friendly community support.
    I need stability.
    I do not want a Mac. I do not want Windows. I am not afraid to learn, but
    need to use one distro, and be productive as quickly as possible.
    With all this in mind, what would the good people in COLA suggest I could
    use, just in case I've missed *The one* (for me), and I truly believe that
    there are a large number of people just waiting for *the one* for them,
    too.
    When it comes, users will flock to Linux in droves. So please, all you
    clever people, listen, don't fight, except for the cause: to give us
    newcomers what we desperately need.
    The one!

  2. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    Tony(UK) wrote:

    >The one!

    Try PCLinuxOS.

  3. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 19:17:41 GMT, Tony(UK) wrote:

    > No trolling, no ego, no axe to grid.
    > Hi, This is a perspective on maybe how a newcomer to the world of Linux
    > feels. (This newcomer is me).
    > I bought a new tower with Ubuntu pre-installed, but quickly tired of it.
    > Ubuntu works quite well, and is quite newbie-friendly, but somehow isn't
    > quite *there*. I cannot see the point of forks, e.g. Mint etc., and find
    > that most distro websites do not fully work, or are fighting amongst
    > themselves.
    > So, the hunt was on for my perfect distribution. I haven't found it yet.
    > I have tried most mainstream distros and have actually bought two, but I
    > suspect I will have to just keep looking, hoping and waiting for *the one*.
    >
    > I dislike Windows with a passion for many reasons, which is why I have begun
    > my search for alternatives.
    > I like both Gnome and KDE and do not play games.
    > I like integration (Kontact, Evolution)
    > I would like media supported out of the box
    > I would like out of the box support for my graphics card (Nvidia), but do
    > not need Compiz or Wow, just impressive, friendly community support.
    > I need stability.
    > I do not want a Mac. I do not want Windows. I am not afraid to learn, but
    > need to use one distro, and be productive as quickly as possible.
    > With all this in mind, what would the good people in COLA suggest I could
    > use, just in case I've missed *The one* (for me), and I truly believe that
    > there are a large number of people just waiting for *the one* for them,
    > too.
    > When it comes, users will flock to Linux in droves. So please, all you
    > clever people, listen, don't fight, except for the cause: to give us
    > newcomers what we desperately need.
    > The one!

    PCLinuxOS might be what you are looking for.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    Tony(UK) wrote:

    > No trolling, no ego, no axe to grid.
    > Hi, This is a perspective on maybe how a newcomer to the world of Linux
    > feels. (This newcomer is me).
    > I bought a new tower with Ubuntu pre-installed, but quickly tired of it.

    Why?

    > Ubuntu works quite well, and is quite newbie-friendly,

    So you don't have a real reason.

    > but somehow isn't
    > quite *there*.

    Thats you.

    > I cannot see the point of forks,

    So why mention it?

    > e.g. Mint etc., and find
    > that most distro websites do not fully work, or are fighting amongst
    > themselves.

    Sez who?

    > So, the hunt was on for my perfect distribution.

    Is there such a thing? Can you prove your assertions and assumptions?

    > I haven't found it yet.

    There you go. The hard facts of life have come back to haunt you.

    > I have tried most mainstream distros and have actually bought two, but I
    > suspect I will have to just keep looking, hoping and waiting for *the
    > one*.

    Why?

    > I dislike Windows with a passion for many reasons, which is why I have
    > begun my search for alternatives.

    Why?

    > I like both Gnome and KDE and do not play games.

    Sad for a male to be not playing games. Try Nexuiz?

    > I like integration (Kontact, Evolution)
    > I would like media supported out of the box
    > I would like out of the box support for my graphics card (Nvidia), but do
    > not need Compiz

    Thats sad. Everyone seeing mine can't get over it. They recommend
    it should be the company standard.

    > or Wow, just impressive, friendly community support.
    > I need stability.

    Whats that?

    > I do not want a Mac. I do not want Windows. I am not afraid to learn, but
    > need to use one distro, and be productive as quickly as possible.

    Define productivity. I don't see how you can ever become
    productive without defining productivity.

    Here try all of them http://www.livecdlist.com

    > just in case I've missed *The one* (for me),

    Why? Are you special in some kind of way that you can't look for yourself
    and must be told by others?

    > and I truly believe that
    > there are a large number of people just waiting for *the one* for them,
    > too.

    Dream on! Spliffing can make you believe all kinds of things.

    > When it comes, users will flock to Linux in droves.

    Uh oh! We are now slipping into flat cake talk.
    Are you flat as a pancake?

    > So please, all you
    > clever people, listen, don't fight, except for the cause: to give us
    > newcomers what we desperately need.
    > The one!

    If you are not flat cake then are you some kind of skate?

  5. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 19:17:41 +0000, Tony(UK) wrote:

    > No trolling, no ego, no axe to grid.
    > Hi, This is a perspective on maybe how a newcomer to the world of Linux
    > feels. (This newcomer is me).
    > I bought a new tower with Ubuntu pre-installed, but quickly tired of it.
    > Ubuntu works quite well, and is quite newbie-friendly, but somehow isn't
    > quite *there*. I cannot see the point of forks, e.g. Mint etc., and find
    > that most distro websites do not fully work, or are fighting amongst
    > themselves.
    > So, the hunt was on for my perfect distribution. I haven't found it yet.
    > I have tried most mainstream distros and have actually bought two, but I
    > suspect I will have to just keep looking, hoping and waiting for *the
    > one*.
    >
    > I dislike Windows with a passion for many reasons, which is why I have
    > begun my search for alternatives.
    > I like both Gnome and KDE and do not play games. I like integration
    > (Kontact, Evolution) I would like media supported out of the box I would
    > like out of the box support for my graphics card (Nvidia), but do not
    > need Compiz or Wow, just impressive, friendly community support. I need
    > stability.
    > I do not want a Mac. I do not want Windows. I am not afraid to learn,
    > but need to use one distro, and be productive as quickly as possible.
    > With all this in mind, what would the good people in COLA suggest I
    > could use, just in case I've missed *The one* (for me), and I truly
    > believe that there are a large number of people just waiting for *the
    > one* for them, too.
    > When it comes, users will flock to Linux in droves. So please, all you
    > clever people, listen, don't fight, except for the cause: to give us
    > newcomers what we desperately need.
    > The one!

    Try PCLinux OS.

    --
    Rick

  6. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    7 wrote:

    What is wrong with this person? They need to put this person away. This
    person must have a low self esteem problem to be attacking people like this.

  7. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    * Tony(UK) peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > No trolling, no ego, no axe to grid.

    Easily said. In fact, often the prelude to a troll.

    > Hi, This is a perspective on maybe how a newcomer to the world of Linux
    > feels. (This newcomer is me).
    > I bought a new tower with Ubuntu pre-installed, but quickly tired of it.
    > Ubuntu works quite well, and is quite newbie-friendly, but somehow isn't
    > quite *there*. I cannot see the point of forks, e.g. Mint etc., and find
    > that most distro websites do not fully work, or are fighting amongst
    > themselves.

    Yeah, right.

    > So, the hunt was on for my perfect distribution. I haven't found it yet.

    That's because there is /no/ perfect distribution. Nor can there be.
    Everyone has different wants and needs. Only by chance can there be a
    match.

    If you want perfection in Linux, you have to tailor it yourself.

    If you want perfection in Windows, you have to tailor it yourself.

    > I have tried most mainstream distros and have actually bought two, but I
    > suspect I will have to just keep looking, hoping and waiting for *the one*.

    That is not a wise approach, at all.

    > I would like media supported out of the box

    As Rick said, check PCOSLinux. Otherwise, do a little searching for
    codecs. Ubuntu, from what I hear, makes it easy. Even Debian makes it
    fairly easy.

    > I would like out of the box support for my graphics card (Nvidia), but do
    > not need Compiz or Wow, just impressive, friendly community support.

    Tell that to Nvidious. In the meantime, you can install your kernel
    sources from Ubuntus repos, download the Nvidia driver, and build it.
    Maybe Ubuntu even supports Nvidia builds directly; I'm pretty sure
    Debian does, but I prefer to control it myself.

    > I need stability.

    You got it.

    > I do not want a Mac. I do not want Windows. I am not afraid to learn, but
    > need to use one distro, and be productive as quickly as possible.

    Hell, any distro will work for that.

    > When it comes, users will flock to Linux in droves. So please, all you
    > clever people, listen, don't fight, except for the cause: to give us
    > newcomers what we desperately need.
    > The one!

    No such animal.

    Windows is the closest thing there is to "the one", but luckily we
    avoided being stuck with only that restrictive system.

    --
    We are not even close to finishing the basic dream of what the PC can be.
    -- Bill Gates

  8. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    Tony(UK) had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 08-02-08 20:17:

    > I would like out of the box support for my graphics card (Nvidia), but do
    > not need Compiz or Wow, just impressive, friendly community support.
    > I need stability.

    Dear Tony,

    welcome in the Linux world. You might try Mandriva Linux. This is what I
    use (I love it and am happy not to need Windows anymore), and
    financially support it, because of its polite, friendly and helpful forums.

    http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome

    Good luck

    Erik Jan

  9. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    7 wrote:

    >Trolly(UK) wrote:
    >>
    >> When it comes, users will flock to Linux in droves.

    >Uh oh! We are now slipping into flat cake talk.
    >Are you flat as a pancake?
    >
    >> So please, all you
    >> clever people, listen, don't fight, except for the cause: to give us
    >> newcomers what we desperately need.
    >> The one!

    >If you are not flat cake then are you some kind of skate?

    You're right. I didn't read the entire thing at first. An obvious
    troll.

  10. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    Erik Jan wrote:
    > Tony(UK) had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 08-02-08 20:17:
    >
    >> I would like out of the box support for my graphics card (Nvidia), but do
    >> not need Compiz or Wow, just impressive, friendly community support.
    >> I need stability.
    >>

    > Dear Tony,
    >
    > welcome in the Linux world. You might try Mandriva Linux. This is what I
    > use (I love it and am happy not to need Windows anymore), and
    > financially support it, because of its polite, friendly and helpful forums.
    >
    > http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome
    >
    > Good luck

    This place and other Linux NG(s)/forums are no bed of roses. If you
    think that they are that, then you are just kidding your, and you are a
    total moron.

  11. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    chrisv wrote:
    > 7 wrote:
    >
    >> Trolly(UK) wrote:
    >>> When it comes, users will flock to Linux in droves.

    >> Uh oh! We are now slipping into flat cake talk.
    >> Are you flat as a pancake?
    >>
    >>> So please, all you
    >>> clever people, listen, don't fight, except for the cause: to give us
    >>> newcomers what we desperately need.
    >>> The one!

    >> If you are not flat cake then are you some kind of skate?

    > You're right. I didn't read the entire thing at first. An obvious
    > troll.

    And you're not one, a troll that is? I have seen you in action in other
    NG(s).

  12. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 16:22:54 -0500, NG wrote:

    > 7 wrote:
    >

    > What is wrong with this person? They need to put this person away. This
    > person must have a low self esteem problem to be attacking people like this.

    Most people have declared 7 to be brain dead.

    All but [Homer] , Roy Schestowitz and Mark Kent that is.

    According to [Homer]'s weekly bogus statistics program, 7 is a 'quality'
    poster.

    Now that is a laugh!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 17:05:38 -0500, NG wrote:

    > chrisv wrote:
    >> 7 wrote:

    >>> Uh oh! We are now slipping into flat cake talk.
    >>> Are you flat as a pancake?

    >>> If you are not flat cake then are you some kind of skate?

    >> You're right. I didn't read the entire thing at first. An obvious
    >> troll.
    >>

    > And you're not one, a troll that is? I have seen you in action in other
    > NG(s).

    Chrisv is a skitz..
    He posts messages and then claims people are forging him.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  14. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 17:05:38 -0500, NG wrote:
    >
    >> chrisv wrote:

    >>> You're right. I didn't read the entire thing at first. An obvious
    >>> troll.
    >>>

    >> And you're not one, a troll that is? I have seen you in action in other
    >> NG(s).

    > Chrisv is a skitz..
    > He posts messages and then claims people are forging him.

    Yes, he attacks people most of the time by going through someone else,
    and he runs around issuing plonks. He is strange, and he has no balls
    whatsoever.

  15. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 00:12:34 +0000, [H]omer wrote:

    When are you going to release the source code to your weekly
    comp.os.linux.advocacy statistics program [Homer] ?

    You expect others to do it.

    Why don't you follow your own advice?

    [Homer] = [Hypocrite] != Linux Advocate.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  16. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    "Tony(UK)" stated in post
    pV1rj.5065$nG4.4555@newsfe6-win.ntli.net on 2/8/08 12:17 PM:

    > No trolling, no ego, no axe to grid.
    > Hi, This is a perspective on maybe how a newcomer to the world of Linux
    > feels. (This newcomer is me).

    Good to hear.

    > I bought a new tower with Ubuntu pre-installed, but quickly tired of it.

    Curious what company you bought it from - I have been told in COLA that MS
    prevents OEMs from selling Linux.

    > Ubuntu works quite well, and is quite newbie-friendly, but somehow isn't
    > quite *there*.

    Blind sea monkeys could - and perhaps have - designed better looks than what
    Ubuntu has by default, but overall Ubuntu has a decent selection of software
    and a greater focus on consistency and usability than any other distro I
    know of. Certainly more than PCLOS.

    > I cannot see the point of forks, e.g. Mint etc., and find
    > that most distro websites do not fully work, or are fighting amongst
    > themselves.

    Very much true...

    > So, the hunt was on for my perfect distribution. I haven't found it yet.
    > I have tried most mainstream distros and have actually bought two, but I
    > suspect I will have to just keep looking, hoping and waiting for *the one*.

    This is called the "Distro Dance". A bit fun at first but it never ends.

    > I dislike Windows with a passion for many reasons, which is why I have begun
    > my search for alternatives.
    > I like both Gnome and KDE and do not play games.
    > I like integration (Kontact, Evolution)
    > I would like media supported out of the box
    > I would like out of the box support for my graphics card (Nvidia), but do
    > not need Compiz or Wow, just impressive, friendly community support.
    > I need stability.
    > I do not want a Mac. I do not want Windows. I am not afraid to learn, but
    > need to use one distro, and be productive as quickly as possible.
    > With all this in mind, what would the good people in COLA suggest I could
    > use, just in case I've missed *The one* (for me), and I truly believe that
    > there are a large number of people just waiting for *the one* for them,
    > too.
    > When it comes, users will flock to Linux in droves. So please, all you
    > clever people, listen, don't fight, except for the cause: to give us
    > newcomers what we desperately need.
    > The one!

    What were your problems with Ubuntu... it is one of the better distros...
    though you might want to skin it.

    --
    Never stand between a dog and the hydrant. - John Peers

  17. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    "Rick" stated in post 13qphrbsk5inl09@news.supernews.com
    on 2/8/08 2:19 PM:

    > On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 19:17:41 +0000, Tony(UK) wrote:
    >
    >> No trolling, no ego, no axe to grid.
    >> Hi, This is a perspective on maybe how a newcomer to the world of Linux
    >> feels. (This newcomer is me).
    >> I bought a new tower with Ubuntu pre-installed, but quickly tired of it.
    >> Ubuntu works quite well, and is quite newbie-friendly, but somehow isn't
    >> quite *there*. I cannot see the point of forks, e.g. Mint etc., and find
    >> that most distro websites do not fully work, or are fighting amongst
    >> themselves.
    >> So, the hunt was on for my perfect distribution. I haven't found it yet.
    >> I have tried most mainstream distros and have actually bought two, but I
    >> suspect I will have to just keep looking, hoping and waiting for *the
    >> one*.
    >>
    >> I dislike Windows with a passion for many reasons, which is why I have
    >> begun my search for alternatives.
    >> I like both Gnome and KDE and do not play games. I like integration
    >> (Kontact, Evolution) I would like media supported out of the box I would
    >> like out of the box support for my graphics card (Nvidia), but do not
    >> need Compiz or Wow, just impressive, friendly community support. I need
    >> stability.
    >> I do not want a Mac. I do not want Windows. I am not afraid to learn,
    >> but need to use one distro, and be productive as quickly as possible.
    >> With all this in mind, what would the good people in COLA suggest I
    >> could use, just in case I've missed *The one* (for me), and I truly
    >> believe that there are a large number of people just waiting for *the
    >> one* for them, too.
    >> When it comes, users will flock to Linux in droves. So please, all you
    >> clever people, listen, don't fight, except for the cause: to give us
    >> newcomers what we desperately need.
    >> The one!

    > Try PCLinux OS.

    I would love to hear the reaction.

    It is, of course, a *lot* more pretty... so superficially it is done better
    and that appeals to some people.

    --
    I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please
    everyone. -- Bill Cosby

  18. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    "[H]omer" stated in post io7v75-5de.ln1@sky.matrix on 2/8/08
    5:12 PM:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Tony(UK) spake thusly:
    >
    >> I am not afraid to learn, but need to use one distro

    > Then pick one, and learn how to use it.
    >
    > Ububtu is one of the most noob-friendly distros out there. You claim it
    > "isn't there yet", but you fail to say why.

    I, too, would like to hear the reasoning. I have mentioned some: its
    amazingly ugly UI, its inconsistent menus, etc. Overall, though, it is one
    of the better distros... even with its warts.

    --
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters." - Alan Simpson

  19. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    Tony(UK) wrote:

    [snip]

    > I bought a new tower with Ubuntu pre-installed, but quickly tired of it.
    > Ubuntu works quite well, and is quite newbie-friendly, but somehow isn't
    > quite *there*.

    > I would like media supported out of the box
    > I would like out of the box support for my graphics card (Nvidia), but do
    > not need Compiz or Wow, just impressive, friendly community support.
    > I need stability.

    This is a contradiction, if you want all this proprietary stuff to work
    out of the box, the "Mint fork" is exactly what you're looking for.

    > I do not want a Mac. I do not want Windows. I am not afraid to learn, but
    > need to use one distro, and be productive as quickly as possible.

    In this case again Mint comes into mind,because there is great
    documentation in PDF format on their website.

    [snipped the rest]

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  20. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 18:57:10 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > 13qphrbsk5inl09@news.supernews.com on 2/8/08 2:19 PM:
    >
    >> On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 19:17:41 +0000, Tony(UK) wrote:
    >>
    >>> No trolling, no ego, no axe to grid.
    >>> Hi, This is a perspective on maybe how a newcomer to the world of
    >>> Linux feels. (This newcomer is me).
    >>> I bought a new tower with Ubuntu pre-installed, but quickly tired of
    >>> it. Ubuntu works quite well, and is quite newbie-friendly, but somehow
    >>> isn't quite *there*. I cannot see the point of forks, e.g. Mint etc.,
    >>> and find that most distro websites do not fully work, or are fighting
    >>> amongst themselves.
    >>> So, the hunt was on for my perfect distribution. I haven't found it
    >>> yet. I have tried most mainstream distros and have actually bought
    >>> two, but I suspect I will have to just keep looking, hoping and
    >>> waiting for *the one*.
    >>>
    >>> I dislike Windows with a passion for many reasons, which is why I have
    >>> begun my search for alternatives.
    >>> I like both Gnome and KDE and do not play games. I like integration
    >>> (Kontact, Evolution) I would like media supported out of the box I
    >>> would like out of the box support for my graphics card (Nvidia), but
    >>> do not need Compiz or Wow, just impressive, friendly community
    >>> support. I need stability.
    >>> I do not want a Mac. I do not want Windows. I am not afraid to learn,
    >>> but need to use one distro, and be productive as quickly as possible.
    >>> With all this in mind, what would the good people in COLA suggest I
    >>> could use, just in case I've missed *The one* (for me), and I truly
    >>> believe that there are a large number of people just waiting for *the
    >>> one* for them, too.
    >>> When it comes, users will flock to Linux in droves. So please, all you
    >>> clever people, listen, don't fight, except for the cause: to give us
    >>> newcomers what we desperately need.
    >>> The one!

    >> Try PCLinux OS.

    > I would love to hear the reaction.
    >
    > It is, of course, a *lot* more pretty... so superficially it is done
    > better and that appeals to some people.

    And AGAIN, it gets great reviews and is #1 on distrowatch... still.

    --
    Rick

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast