The newcomer to Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on The newcomer to Linux - Linux ; "Rick" stated in post 13qqb1heqivdq23@news.supernews.com on 2/8/08 9:29 PM: > On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 18:57:10 -0700, Snit wrote: > >> "Rick" stated in post >> 13qphrbsk5inl09@news.supernews.com on 2/8/08 2:19 PM: >> >>> On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 19:17:41 +0000, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 65

  1. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    "Rick" stated in post 13qqb1heqivdq23@news.supernews.com
    on 2/8/08 9:29 PM:

    > On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 18:57:10 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" stated in post
    >> 13qphrbsk5inl09@news.supernews.com on 2/8/08 2:19 PM:

    >>> Try PCLinux OS.

    >> I would love to hear the reaction.
    >>
    >> It is, of course, a *lot* more pretty... so superficially it is done
    >> better and that appeals to some people.

    > And AGAIN, it gets great reviews and is #1 on distrowatch... still.

    You keep saying that as though you thought you were defending your little
    pet distro. Odd. Sad how all you can do is point to what you think others
    think - you cannot show any thought of your own.

    Heck, clearly more people prefer Windows or even OS X to *all* distros of
    Linux combined, at least for the desktop. Do you think they are better?

    --
    The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of
    limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and

  2. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 21:33:17 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post 13qqb1heqivdq23@news.supernews.com
    > on 2/8/08 9:29 PM:
    >
    >> On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 18:57:10 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Rick" stated in post
    >>> 13qphrbsk5inl09@news.supernews.com on 2/8/08 2:19 PM:

    >>> I would love to hear the reaction.
    >>>
    >>> It is, of course, a *lot* more pretty... so superficially it is done
    >>> better and that appeals to some people.

    >> And AGAIN, it gets great reviews and is #1 on distrowatch... still.

    > You keep saying that as though you thought you were defending your little
    > pet distro. Odd. Sad how all you can do is point to what you think others
    > think - you cannot show any thought of your own.
    >
    > Heck, clearly more people prefer Windows or even OS X to *all* distros of
    > Linux combined, at least for the desktop. Do you think they are better?

    To be honest I didn't have the problems with PCLinuxOS that you did snit.
    Maybe I didn't observe the dialog boxes that closely, but I don't remember
    anything abnormal happening the last time I installed it.

    I've had plenty of problems with Ubuntu though which is why I prefer
    PCLinuxOS.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 21:33:17 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > 13qqb1heqivdq23@news.supernews.com on 2/8/08 9:29 PM:
    >
    >> On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 18:57:10 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Rick" stated in post
    >>> 13qphrbsk5inl09@news.supernews.com on 2/8/08 2:19 PM:

    >>> I would love to hear the reaction.
    >>>
    >>> It is, of course, a *lot* more pretty... so superficially it is done
    >>> better and that appeals to some people.

    >> And AGAIN, it gets great reviews and is #1 on distrowatch... still.

    > You keep saying that as though you thought you were defending your
    > little pet distro. Odd. Sad how all you can do is point to what you
    > think others think - you cannot show any thought of your own.

    And AGAIN, it gets great reviews and is #1 on distrowatch... still.

    .... as far as what I think of PCLOS... I switched to it from Suse. My
    experiences with Ubuntu have convinced me I made a good decisions.

    > Heck, clearly more people prefer Windows or even OS X to *all* distros
    > of Linux combined, at least for the desktop.

    The overwhelming majority of those people don't know what Linux is.

    > Do you think they are better?

    Well... I did switch to Linux **from** OS X.

    --
    Rick

  4. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    NG :
    > Erik Jan wrote:
    >> Tony(UK) had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 08-02-08 20:17:
    >>
    >>> I would like out of the box support for my graphics card (Nvidia), but do
    >>> not need Compiz or Wow, just impressive, friendly community support.
    >>> I need stability.
    >>>

    >> Dear Tony,
    >>
    >> welcome in the Linux world. You might try Mandriva Linux. This is what I
    >> use (I love it and am happy not to need Windows anymore), and
    >> financially support it, because of its polite, friendly and helpful forums.
    >>
    >> http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome
    >>
    >> Good luck
    >>

    > This place and other Linux NG(s)/forums are no bed of roses. If you
    > think that they are that, then you are just kidding your, and you are a
    > total moron.

    That approach is a bit harsh. I'd second Mandriva as I cut my teeth on
    Mandrake (Mandriva's predecessor) back aways. Had a fairly difficult but
    very rewarding time in alt.os.linux.mandrake learning the ropes.

    --
    Does someone from PEORIA have a SHORTER ATTENTION span than me?

    www.websterscafe.com

  5. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    "Moshe Goldfarb" stated in post
    tmbjx1om32yo.1ic9yk43muvmw.dlg@40tude.net on 2/8/08 9:38 PM:

    >>> And AGAIN, it gets great reviews and is #1 on distrowatch... still.

    >> You keep saying that as though you thought you were defending your little
    >> pet distro. Odd. Sad how all you can do is point to what you think others
    >> think - you cannot show any thought of your own.
    >>
    >> Heck, clearly more people prefer Windows or even OS X to *all* distros of
    >> Linux combined, at least for the desktop. Do you think they are better?

    > To be honest I didn't have the problems with PCLinuxOS that you did snit.
    > Maybe I didn't observe the dialog boxes that closely, but I don't remember
    > anything abnormal happening the last time I installed it.

    Most people have no idea how much the UI effects them.

    > I've had plenty of problems with Ubuntu though which is why I prefer
    > PCLinuxOS.

    I used to do usability testing for internal products at Intuit... we used to
    either watch or remotely "watch" as people did work... inconsistent and
    poorly designed dialogs lead to significant slow downs and errors ... though
    only very rarely did the user understand or perceive this. Hot keys are
    another area where consistency is a big benefit - I know that in almost any
    program I am in I can use the same hot keys to close windows, quite
    programs, switch to different windows in the same program, etc. Same with
    menus... I know in OS X where the preferences will be located in,
    essentially, all software.

    It amazes me how often people underestimate how important these things are
    to a productive computing environment... and how much they focus on things
    which are, generally, far less important such as benchmarks.

    --
    Do you ever wake up in a cold sweat wondering what the world would be
    like if the Lamarckian view of evolutionary had ended up being accepted

  6. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    "Rick" stated in post 13qqbideucmn746@news.supernews.com
    on 2/8/08 9:38 PM:

    > On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 21:33:17 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" stated in post
    >> 13qqb1heqivdq23@news.supernews.com on 2/8/08 9:29 PM:

    >>> And AGAIN, it gets great reviews and is #1 on distrowatch... still.

    >> You keep saying that as though you thought you were defending your
    >> little pet distro. Odd. Sad how all you can do is point to what you
    >> think others think - you cannot show any thought of your own.

    > And AGAIN, it gets great reviews and is #1 on distrowatch... still.

    Again or still?

    > ... as far as what I think of PCLOS... I switched to it from Suse. My
    > experiences with Ubuntu have convinced me I made a good decisions.

    Is anyone trying to get you to change your mind? Not that I know of... you
    are showing signs of paranoia.

    >> Heck, clearly more people prefer Windows or even OS X to *all* distros
    >> of Linux combined, at least for the desktop.

    > The overwhelming majority of those people don't know what Linux is.

    Yup.

    >> Do you think they are better?

    > Well... I did switch to Linux **from** OS X.

    So?

    --
    Dear Aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all

  7. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    ml2mst writes:

    > Tony(UK) wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >> I bought a new tower with Ubuntu pre-installed, but quickly tired of it.
    >> Ubuntu works quite well, and is quite newbie-friendly, but somehow isn't
    >> quite *there*.

    >> I would like media supported out of the box
    >> I would like out of the box support for my graphics card (Nvidia), but do
    >> not need Compiz or Wow, just impressive, friendly community support.
    >> I need stability.

    > This is a contradiction, if you want all this proprietary stuff to work
    > out of the box, the "Mint fork" is exactly what you're looking for.
    >
    >> I do not want a Mac. I do not want Windows. I am not afraid to learn, but
    >> need to use one distro, and be productive as quickly as possible.

    > In this case again Mint comes into mind,because there is great
    > documentation in PDF format on their website.

    LOL. Seriously, you couldn't make this up.

  8. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 21:33:17 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > Heck, clearly more people prefer Windows or even OS X to *all* distros
    > of Linux combined, at least for the desktop.

    Would you ****ing stop advocating Mac's in cola?

    -Thufir

  9. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    "Thufir" stated in post
    i9crj.9170$FA.2230@pd7urf2no on 2/8/08 11:57 PM:

    >>> And AGAIN, it gets great reviews and is #1 on distrowatch... still.

    >> You keep saying that as though you thought you were defending your little pet
    >> distro. Odd. Sad how all you can do is point to what you think others think
    >> - you cannot show any thought of your own.
    >>
    >> Heck, clearly more people prefer Windows or even OS X to *all* distros of
    >> Linux combined, at least for the desktop. Do you think they are better?

    > Would you ****ing stop advocating Mac's in cola?

    Er? Did you read what you responded to? I did add back some of the context
    you snipped - hopefully that will encourage you to become honest.

    --
    The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of
    limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and
    great nations. - David Friedman

  10. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 22:19:15 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > 13qqbideucmn746@news.supernews.com on 2/8/08 9:38 PM:
    >
    >> On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 21:33:17 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Rick" stated in post
    >>> 13qqb1heqivdq23@news.supernews.com on 2/8/08 9:29 PM:

    >>> You keep saying that as though you thought you were defending your
    >>> little pet distro. Odd. Sad how all you can do is point to what you
    >>> think others think - you cannot show any thought of your own.

    >> And AGAIN, it gets great reviews and is #1 on distrowatch... still.

    > Again or still?

    .... and you realy ae that stupid.

    I am telling you, AGAIN, that it gets great reviews and is still #1 on
    distrowatch.

    >> ... as far as what I think of PCLOS... I switched to it from Suse. My
    >> experiences with Ubuntu have convinced me I made a good decisions.

    > Is anyone trying to get you to change your mind? Not that I know of...
    > you are showing signs of paranoia.

    You seem to be trying very hard. However I was answering your:"all you
    can do is point to what you think others think - you cannot show any
    thought of your own."

    >>> Heck, clearly more people prefer Windows or even OS X to *all* distros
    >>> of Linux combined, at least for the desktop.

    >> The overwhelming majority of those people don't know what Linux is.

    > Yup.
    >
    >>> Do you think they are better?

    >> Well... I did switch to Linux **from** OS X.

    > So?

    Do you seem to think I switched to Linux because I thought it was worse?

    --
    Rick

  11. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 00:19:11 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Thufir" stated in post
    > i9crj.9170$FA.2230@pd7urf2no on 2/8/08 11:57 PM:

    >>> You keep saying that as though you thought you were defending your
    >>> little pet distro. Odd. Sad how all you can do is point to what you
    >>> think others think - you cannot show any thought of your own.
    >>>
    >>> Heck, clearly more people prefer Windows or even OS X to *all* distros
    >>> of Linux combined, at least for the desktop. Do you think they are
    >>> better?

    >> Would you ****ing stop advocating Mac's in cola?

    > Er? Did you read what you responded to? I did add back some of the
    > context you snipped - hopefully that will encourage you to become
    > honest.

    I see. It is OK for you to snip context related lines, but not for
    others. OK.

    --
    Rick

  12. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    Micoshaft Fraudster and Asstrotufer Moshe Goldfarb wrote on behalf of
    Micoshaft Corporation:

    > On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 21:33:17 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" stated in post
    >> 13qqb1heqivdq23@news.supernews.com on 2/8/08 9:29 PM:

    >>> And AGAIN, it gets great reviews and is #1 on distrowatch... still.

    >> You keep saying that as though you thought you were defending your little
    >> pet distro. Odd. Sad how all you can do is point to what you think
    >> others think - you cannot show any thought of your own.
    >>
    >> Heck, clearly more people prefer Windows or even OS X to *all* distros of
    >> Linux combined, at least for the desktop. Do you think they are better?

    > To be honest I didn't have the problems with PCLinuxOS that you did snit.
    > Maybe I didn't observe the dialog boxes that closely, but I don't remember
    > anything abnormal happening the last time I installed it.
    >
    > I've had plenty of problems with Ubuntu though which is why I prefer
    > PCLinuxOS.

    Which I why I think PCLinuxOS is going over to the dark side soon.

    Personally, I have found it more easy to get Ubuntu on a lot
    more machines. So something about PCLinuxOS is a lie all knitted
    together by asstroturfers to cover up something?

  13. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 12:53:57 +0000, 7 wrote:

    > Which I why I think PCLinuxOS is going over to the dark side soon.

    ??? What on Earth are you talking about?

    > Personally, I have found it more easy to get Ubuntu on a lot
    > more machines. So something about PCLinuxOS is a lie all knitted
    > together by asstroturfers to cover up something?

    Explain this nonsense.

    --
    Kier

  14. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    Thufir writes:

    > On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 21:33:17 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> Heck, clearly more people prefer Windows or even OS X to *all* distros
    >> of Linux combined, at least for the desktop.

    > Would you ****ing stop advocating Mac's in cola?

    Telling the truth is NOT advocating. When will yo realize that? It is
    facing up to reality. Because people prefer Windows doesnt mean it has
    to stay that way - advocate man, dont prevaricate.

  15. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    Kier writes:

    > On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 12:53:57 +0000, 7 wrote:
    >

    >> Which I why I think PCLinuxOS is going over to the dark side soon.

    > ??? What on Earth are you talking about?
    >

    >> Personally, I have found it more easy to get Ubuntu on a lot
    >> more machines. So something about PCLinuxOS is a lie all knitted
    >> together by asstroturfers to cover up something?

    > Explain this nonsense.

    Can anyone find the last post from Kier where he realistically advocated
    anything? All his posts are little net nanny gasps and groans and
    demands for explanations.

    Did Roy put him in charge or something?

  16. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 15:00:33 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Kier writes:
    >
    >> On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 12:53:57 +0000, 7 wrote:
    >>

    >>> Which I why I think PCLinuxOS is going over to the dark side soon.

    >> ??? What on Earth are you talking about?
    >>

    >>> Personally, I have found it more easy to get Ubuntu on a lot
    >>> more machines. So something about PCLinuxOS is a lie all knitted
    >>> together by asstroturfers to cover up something?

    >> Explain this nonsense.

    > Can anyone find the last post from Kier where he realistically advocated
    > anything? All his posts are little net nanny gasps and groans and
    > demands for explanations.

    You are a ****ing liar, Hadron. I was advocating in this group before you
    even started poking your oar in, you whining twit.

    > Did Roy put him in charge or something?

    Who put *you* in charge, idiot?

    --
    Kier

  17. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 12:53:57 GMT, 7 wrote:

    > Micoshaft Fraudster and Asstrotufer Moshe Goldfarb wrote on behalf of
    > Micoshaft Corporation:
    >
    >> On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 21:33:17 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Rick" stated in post
    >>> 13qqb1heqivdq23@news.supernews.com on 2/8/08 9:29 PM:

    >>> You keep saying that as though you thought you were defending your little
    >>> pet distro. Odd. Sad how all you can do is point to what you think
    >>> others think - you cannot show any thought of your own.
    >>>
    >>> Heck, clearly more people prefer Windows or even OS X to *all* distros of
    >>> Linux combined, at least for the desktop. Do you think they are better?

    >> To be honest I didn't have the problems with PCLinuxOS that you did snit.
    >> Maybe I didn't observe the dialog boxes that closely, but I don't remember
    >> anything abnormal happening the last time I installed it.
    >>
    >> I've had plenty of problems with Ubuntu though which is why I prefer
    >> PCLinuxOS.

    > Which I why I think PCLinuxOS is going over to the dark side soon.
    >
    > Personally, I have found it more easy to get Ubuntu on a lot
    > more machines. So something about PCLinuxOS is a lie all knitted
    > together by asstroturfers to cover up something?

    Not at all.
    Like I said, I call them as I see them and PCLinuxOS is a good one.
    So is Ubuntu, just not for me.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  18. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 15:00:33 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Did Roy put him in charge or something?

    Schestowitz doesn't put *anyone* in charge of anything because only Roy
    Schestowitz can do the job correctly.
    Everyone else is beneath him.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  19. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    "Rick" stated in post 13qr63fcmm1kh81@news.supernews.com
    on 2/9/08 5:11 AM:

    > On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 00:19:11 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> "Thufir" stated in post
    >> i9crj.9170$FA.2230@pd7urf2no on 2/8/08 11:57 PM:

    >>> Would you ****ing stop advocating Mac's in cola?

    >> Er? Did you read what you responded to? I did add back some of the
    >> context you snipped - hopefully that will encourage you to become
    >> honest.

    > I see. It is OK for you to snip context related lines, but not for
    > others. OK.

    You also might see Elvis dancing in your living room, but what you
    hallucinate about is irrelevant to the topic!

    --
    Satan lives for my sins... now *that* is dedication!

  20. Re: The newcomer to Linux

    "Rick" stated in post 13qr61qi0l4n854@news.supernews.com
    on 2/9/08 5:10 AM:

    > I am telling you, AGAIN, that it gets great reviews and is still #1 on
    > distrowatch.

    Sure - it is clear your depth of analysis cannot go deeper than looking at
    what you think others believe. OK. Not sure why you hold that up as a
    point you are proud of.

    >>> ... as far as what I think of PCLOS... I switched to it from Suse. My
    >>> experiences with Ubuntu have convinced me I made a good decisions.

    >> Is anyone trying to get you to change your mind? Not that I know of...
    >> you are showing signs of paranoia.

    > You seem to be trying very hard.

    Nope. I do not care what OS you use... where did you get your contrary and
    mistaken idea?

    > However I was answering your:"all you can do is point to what you think others
    > think - you cannot show any thought of your own."

    Which is very much true... you show very little thought of your own when you
    point to what you think is others *opinions* and cannot state why you hold
    an opinion other than that.

    >>> Well... I did switch to Linux **from** OS X.

    >> So?

    > Do you seem to think I switched to Linux because I thought it was worse?

    Do I seem to think that? Um, no. Can't you figure these things out for
    yourself?

    If you think Linux is better then explain why... try to do some actual, you
    know, advocacy for Linux.

    I know I do... why can't you?

    --Aldous Huxley