Linux: spontaneously reboots - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux: spontaneously reboots - Linux ; My Debian (Lenny) server is restarting multiple times a day at random times. I've looked though syslog and other any logs but can't find anything. I have a feeling its the web spider script I'm using. It starts 20 processes ...

  1. Linux: spontaneously reboots

    My Debian (Lenny) server is restarting multiple times a day at random times.
    I've looked though syslog and other any logs but can't find anything. I have
    a feeling its the web spider script I'm using. It starts 20 processes at
    once making lots of connections a second. A lot of connections also fail
    leaving them open. Bind is also put under pressure resolving lots of
    different domains, some which don't exist. If this or something else is
    causing a problem how can I diagnose the fault and possibly fix it?

    There's lots of ram is available, load is low (<0.5) and all software is
    up-to-date.

    http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/L..._22775726.html

  2. Re: Linux: spontaneously reboots

    On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 10:03:44 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > My Debian (Lenny) server is restarting multiple times a day at random times.
    > I've looked though syslog and other any logs but can't find anything. I have
    > a feeling its the web spider script I'm using. It starts 20 processes at
    > once making lots of connections a second. A lot of connections also fail
    > leaving them open. Bind is also put under pressure resolving lots of
    > different domains, some which don't exist. If this or something else is
    > causing a problem how can I diagnose the fault and possibly fix it?
    >
    > There's lots of ram is available, load is low (<0.5) and all software is
    > up-to-date.
    >
    > http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/L..._22775726.html

    Welcome to Linux!
    The OS that keeps you guessing.

    It's probably a *feature* of future Linux code that somehow got lose from
    some Linux programmers basement.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Linux: spontaneously reboots

    On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 11:33:48 -0500, Moshe Goldfarb
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 10:03:44 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> My Debian (Lenny) server is restarting multiple times a day at random times.
    >> I've looked though syslog and other any logs but can't find anything. I have
    >> a feeling its the web spider script I'm using. It starts 20 processes at
    >> once making lots of connections a second. A lot of connections also fail
    >> leaving them open. Bind is also put under pressure resolving lots of
    >> different domains, some which don't exist. If this or something else is
    >> causing a problem how can I diagnose the fault and possibly fix it?
    >>
    >> There's lots of ram is available, load is low (<0.5) and all software is
    >> up-to-date.
    >>
    >> http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/L..._22775726.html

    >Welcome to Linux!
    >The OS that keeps you guessing.
    >
    >It's probably a *feature* of future Linux code that somehow got lose from
    >some Linux programmers basement.

    There are a number of hardware that can cause this problem including
    the following:

    bad RAM
    underrated or faulty power supply
    overheated CPU

  4. Re: Linux: spontaneously reboots

    On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 11:19:56 -0800, John Locke wrote:

    > On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 11:33:48 -0500, Moshe Goldfarb
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 10:03:44 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> My Debian (Lenny) server is restarting multiple times a day at random times.
    >>> I've looked though syslog and other any logs but can't find anything. I have
    >>> a feeling its the web spider script I'm using. It starts 20 processes at
    >>> once making lots of connections a second. A lot of connections also fail
    >>> leaving them open. Bind is also put under pressure resolving lots of
    >>> different domains, some which don't exist. If this or something else is
    >>> causing a problem how can I diagnose the fault and possibly fix it?
    >>>
    >>> There's lots of ram is available, load is low (<0.5) and all software is
    >>> up-to-date.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/L..._22775726.html

    >>Welcome to Linux!
    >>The OS that keeps you guessing.
    >>
    >>It's probably a *feature* of future Linux code that somehow got lose from
    >>some Linux programmers basement.

    > There are a number of hardware that can cause this problem including
    > the following:
    >
    > bad RAM
    > underrated or faulty power supply
    > overheated CPU

    Of course.
    I was being sarcastic.
    I would suggest a night with memtest86.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  5. Re: Linux: spontaneously reboots

    John Locke wrote:

    > On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 11:33:48 -0500, Moshe Goldfarb
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 10:03:44 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> My Debian (Lenny) server is restarting multiple times a day at random
    >>> times. I've looked though syslog and other any logs but can't find
    >>> anything. I have a feeling its the web spider script I'm using. It
    >>> starts 20 processes at once making lots of connections a second. A lot
    >>> of connections also fail leaving them open. Bind is also put under
    >>> pressure resolving lots of different domains, some which don't exist. If
    >>> this or something else is causing a problem how can I diagnose the fault
    >>> and possibly fix it?
    >>>
    >>> There's lots of ram is available, load is low (<0.5) and all software is
    >>> up-to-date.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/L..._22775726.html

    >>Welcome to Linux!
    >>The OS that keeps you guessing.
    >>
    >>It's probably a *feature* of future Linux code that somehow got lose from
    >>some Linux programmers basement.

    > There are a number of hardware that can cause this problem including
    > the following:
    >
    > bad RAM
    > underrated or faulty power supply
    > overheated CPU

    Don't forget faulty mainboard capacitors. So far, I've had some 15(*) Linux
    boxes crap out on me, out of the 100+ I installed -- and more than half
    were suffering from this problem. The rest of the failuers were caused
    predominantly of HD problems, followed by (indeed) faulty memory and CPU's
    overheating (due to worn out fans, mostly). The only Linux install failing
    due to software problems was one of my own tinker boxes, which I badly
    screwed up by messing around with incompatible drivers (and it still took
    me an afternoon's work to kill it ;-).

    *: Yes, this is a fairly high number -- but then again, a large percentage
    of the Linux boxes I administer were once Windows 98 boxes, IOW: between 7
    and 10 years old.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl/

  6. Re: Linux: spontaneously reboots

    Richard Rasker wrote:

    > John Locke wrote:

    > Don't forget faulty mainboard capacitors. So far, I've had some 15(*)
    > Linux boxes crap out on me, out of the 100+ I installed -- and more than
    > half were suffering from this problem. The rest of the failuers were

    Out of curiosity what colour were the plastic sleeves on the faulty
    capacitors - I work in computer repair and at least 90% of the ones I've
    had to replace had green coloured electrolytic capacitors (tiny black 47uf
    50v caps in PSU's is another common problem) so I'm wondering if your
    failures are of the same type. I now replace all green capacitors if a
    single one on the board has a bulging top (and sometimes if no bulging caps
    as a last resort if no other sign of problems).

+ Reply to Thread