Re: [News] Economist Thinks the World Would be Better Without Patents - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] Economist Thinks the World Would be Better Without Patents - Linux ; Roy Schestowitz espoused: > Open Source Patents > > ,----[ Quote ] >| Nice, creative idea. But note a few things. First, the OIN patent pooling >| approach relies on the patent monopoly to work, since the potential threat of ...

  1. Re: [News] Economist Thinks the World Would be Better Without Patents

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Open Source Patents
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Nice, creative idea. But note a few things. First, the OIN patent pooling
    >| approach relies on the patent monopoly to work, since the potential threat of
    >| a patent infringement lawsuit is what induces third parties to enter into the
    >| OIN license (on the other hand, without the patent monopoly, there would be
    >| no reason for OIN to exist).
    >|
    >| [...]
    >|
    >| In other words, it's similar to the situation that would exist in the absence
    >| of IP--without all the effort and waste to get a bunch of flaccid scraps of
    >| paper.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blog.mises.org/archives/007126.asp

    He's right, of course, it would be much better to scrap the whole
    system. It's much abused, and fails to achieve the original intent in
    any case.

    > Related:
    >
    > When Patents Threaten Science
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Patents should not be used to protect laws of nature, products of
    >| nature, or mathematical formulas.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/conten.../314/5804/1395

    I completely agree with this. How on earth can you patent a molecule,
    or an atom? An electron, say? A subatomic particle? A living
    creature, a formula? Maybe someone should patent pi and see what
    happens... I know it to 45 places (I was bored at school one maths
    lesson), would I have to pay a licence-fee when I recite it?

  2. Re: [News] Economist Thinks the World Would be Better Without Patents

    ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 14 September 2007 14:03 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> Open Source Patents
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Nice, creative idea. But note a few things. First, the OIN patent pooling
    >>| approach relies on the patent monopoly to work, since the potential threat
    >>| of a patent infringement lawsuit is what induces third parties to enter
    >>| into the OIN license (on the other hand, without the patent monopoly, there
    >>| would be no reason for OIN to exist).
    >>|
    >>| [...]
    >>|
    >>| In other words, it's similar to the situation that would exist in the
    >>| absence of IP--without all the effort and waste to get a bunch of flaccid
    >>| scraps of paper.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://blog.mises.org/archives/007126.asp

    > He's right, of course, it would be much better to scrap the whole
    > system. It's much abused, and fails to achieve the original intent in
    > any case.
    >

    >> Related:
    >>
    >> When Patents Threaten Science
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Patents should not be used to protect laws of nature, products of
    >>| nature, or mathematical formulas.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/conten.../314/5804/1395

    > I completely agree with this. How on earth can you patent a molecule,
    > or an atom? An electron, say? A subatomic particle? A living
    > creature, a formula? Maybe someone should patent pi and see what
    > happens... I know it to 45 places (I was bored at school one maths
    > lesson), would I have to pay a licence-fee when I recite it?

    Patents are merely a mechanism for control, imperialism, and abuse. They are
    created by rich people to keep the small investors away. Patents are not about
    logic. They are about hierarchy.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Windows O/S: chmod a-x internet; kill -9 internet
    23:00:02 up 4 days, 21:06, 3 users, load average: 1.88, 1.58, 1.58