[News] [Rival] RIAA Wants All PCs to Become Vista-like DRM Prisons - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] RIAA Wants All PCs to Become Vista-like DRM Prisons - Linux ; RIAA boss: Move copyright filtering from ISPs to users’ PCs ,----[ Quote ] | The issue of encryption "would have to be faced," Sherman admitted after | talking about the wonders of filtering. "One could have a filter on the ...

  1. [News] [Rival] RIAA Wants All PCs to Become Vista-like DRM Prisons

    RIAA boss: Move copyright filtering from ISPs to users’ PCs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The issue of encryption "would have to be faced," Sherman admitted after
    | talking about the wonders of filtering. "One could have a filter on the end
    | user's computer that would actually eliminate any benefit from encryption
    | because if you want to hear [the music], you would need to decrypt it, and at
    | that point the filter would work."
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...n-problem.html

    Sounds like Vista, which is RIAA/MPAA-enabled. Anti-features...

    PRO-IP Act is dangerous and unnecessary, say industry groups

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Last month, the Copyright Office held a closed-door session on the issue of
    | statutory damages. A small affair, the roundtable was a response to the
    | PRO-IP Act introduced in Congress late last year. In the wake of the meeting,
    | eight public interest and industry groups have published a white paper (PDF)
    | arguing against any changes to the "one work" rule and the increases in
    | statutory damages that would result from such changes.
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...dangerous.html

    Related:

    Microsoft rebrands PlaysForSure to Certified For Windows Vista, confuses world

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft's PlaysForSure DRM just took another step closer to the grave with
    | the help of some rebranding.
    `----

    http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/12/m...windows-vista/

    Microsoft Tells Apple To Stop Complaining About DRM

    http://www.podcastingnews.com/2007/0...oft-apple-drm/

    Golden Rant : Microsoft DRM's gone too far

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft appears to have hit the wrong button on its critical
    | Windows XP download service late last month, pretty well forcing
    | every XP user to upgrade to Windows Media Player (WiMP) 11 if
    | they (like me and many others) have the automatic download/install
    | option enabled for critical updates.
    `----

    http://securityblog.itproportal.com/?p=712

    The Longest Suicide Note in History

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Gutmann: The genie's out of the bottle before the operating system has even
    | been released! But that doesn't mean Vista users in particular - and
    | the computer community at large - won't end up paying for Microsoft's
    | DRM folly. At the risk of repeating myself repeating myself, yet
    | another reason to move to Linux.
    `---- ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    http://blogs.pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/t...ote_in_hi.html

    DRM in Windows Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Windows Vista includes an array of "features" that you don't want.
    | These features will make your computer less reliable and less secure.
    | They'll make your computer less stable and run slower. They will
    | cause technical support problems. They may even require you to
    | upgrade some of your peripheral hardware and existing software.
    | And these features won't do anything useful. In fact, they're
    | working against you. They're digital rights management (DRM)
    | features built into Vista at the behest of the entertainment
    | industry.
    |
    | And you don't get to refuse them.
    `----

    http://www.schneier.com/blog/archive...n_windows.html

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] RIAA Wants All PCs to Become Vista-like DRM Prisons

    > RIAA boss: Move copyright filtering from ISPs to users’ PCs

    [...]
    > Sounds like Vista, which is RIAA/MPAA-enabled. Anti-features...

    And of course the RIAA's cunning plan must work because /all/ PCs in the
    world must run Vista, or some equally crippled version of Windows,
    right? In fact there simply /are/ no other operating systems. In fact
    .... what's an operating system?

    Sorry uncle RIAA, but good luck forcing me to run your Mafia-ware on my
    Free Software operating system. But then according to our narcissistic
    friends the RIAA, such a thing simply does not exist anyway, and
    therefore neither do I ... so I guess I have nothing to worry about.

    Alrighty then.

    As Doctor Who once commented about the Daleks, as they encountered a
    major obstacle in the form of a set of stairs ... well *that's* buggered
    their plans to conquer the universe.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "There would be in the license, a caveat which forbids publishing a
    | distro until it has been approved by an OSS committee." ~ Comrade
    | Hardon Quirk, communist party member.
    `----

    04:43:15 up 49 days, 2:19, 5 users, load average: 0.04, 0.11, 0.09

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] RIAA Wants All PCs to Become Vista-like DRM Prisons

    On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 04:43:34 +0000, [H]omer wrote:

    >> RIAA boss: Move copyright filtering from ISPs to users PCs

    > [...]
    >> Sounds like Vista, which is RIAA/MPAA-enabled. Anti-features...

    > And of course the RIAA's cunning plan must work because /all/ PCs in the
    > world must run Vista, or some equally crippled version of Windows,
    > right? In fact there simply /are/ no other operating systems. In fact
    > ... what's an operating system?
    >
    > Sorry uncle RIAA, but good luck forcing me to run your Mafia-ware on my
    > Free Software operating system. But then according to our narcissistic
    > friends the RIAA, such a thing simply does not exist anyway, and
    > therefore neither do I ... so I guess I have nothing to worry about.
    >
    > Alrighty then.
    >
    > As Doctor Who once commented about the Daleks, as they encountered a
    > major obstacle in the form of a set of stairs ... well *that's* buggered
    > their plans to conquer the universe.

    You are a mental case [Homer].
    And BTW you keep squawking about people giving away their hard work yet you
    keep the source code to your weekly comp.os.linux.advocacy statistics
    script a closely guarded secret.

    So why not release the code?

    Why?

    Because you are a [Hypocrite].

    You have no business asking others to give away their works when you won't
    do like wise.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] RIAA Wants All PCs to Become Vista-like DRM Prisons

    "[H]omer" wrote in message news83t75-kef.ln1@sky.matrix...

    > > RIAA boss: Move copyright filtering from ISPs to users' PCs

    > [...]
    > > Sounds like Vista, which is RIAA/MPAA-enabled. Anti-features...

    > And of course the RIAA's cunning plan must work because /all/ PCs in the
    > world must run Vista, or some equally crippled version of Windows,
    > right? In fact there simply /are/ no other operating systems. In fact
    > ... what's an operating system?
    >
    > Sorry uncle RIAA, but good luck forcing me to run your Mafia-ware on my
    > Free Software operating system. But then according to our narcissistic
    > friends the RIAA, such a thing simply does not exist anyway, and
    > therefore neither do I ... so I guess I have nothing to worry about.
    >
    > Alrighty then.
    >
    > As Doctor Who once commented about the Daleks, as they encountered a
    > major obstacle in the form of a set of stairs ... well *that's* buggered
    > their plans to conquer the universe.

    That was what 3 Doctors ago at least, Daleks have been flying for quite a
    while now. Also it bad analog since the Daleks will aways survive to fight
    another day, kind of like the **AA does....

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] RIAA Wants All PCs to Become Vista-like DRM Prisons

    On 2008-02-12, [H]omer wrote:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that Quantum Leaper spake thusly:
    >> "[H]omer" wrote in message
    >> news83t75-kef.ln1@sky.matrix...

    >>> As Doctor Who once commented about the Daleks, as they encountered
    >>> a major obstacle in the form of a set of stairs ... well *that's*
    >>> buggered their plans to conquer the universe.
    >>>

    >> That was what 3 Doctors ago at least

    > To put this into perspective; the last time I watched Doctor Who, he was
    > played by Tom Baker. And no, it wasn't a re-run, the episodes were new
    > at the time.

    You should check out the new series... It's really pretty good

    As for flying Daleks... It seems to me, that there was an episode when
    John Pertwee (#3) was doctor - "Planet of the Daleks" if I recall correctly -
    where he and his assistant ran up some stairs to escape a Dalek, and it
    hovered up after them

    It's been a while since I've watched the old episodes - I might need to
    get them from Netflix for a refresher

    --
    Tom Shelton

  6. Re: [News] [Rival] RIAA Wants All PCs to Become Vista-like DRM Prisons

    On 2008-02-13, [H]omer wrote:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that Tom Shelton spake thusly:
    >> On 2008-02-12, [H]omer wrote:

    >>> To put this into perspective; the last time I watched Doctor Who,
    >>> he was played by Tom Baker. And no, it wasn't a re-run, the
    >>> episodes were new at the time.

    >> You should check out the new series... It's really pretty good

    > Alas I may now be too old to appreciate it properly

    I've been getting it from Netflix and watching it with the kids. They
    really enjoy it.

    >> As for flying Daleks... It seems to me, that there was an episode
    >> when John Pertwee (#3) was doctor - "Planet of the Daleks" if I
    >> recall correctly - where he and his assistant ran up some stairs to
    >> escape a Dalek, and it hovered up after them

    > I must've been hiding behind the sofa at the time
    >
    > I found the original Punch cartoon depicting the "Dalek joke" BTW:
    >
    > http://www.punchcartoons.com/images/....08.05.235.jpg

    That's funny

    --
    Tom Shelton

  7. Re: [News] [Rival] RIAA Wants All PCs to Become Vista-like DRM Prisons

    [H]omer wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Tom Shelton spake thusly:
    >> On 2008-02-12, [H]omer wrote:

    >>> To put this into perspective; the last time I watched Doctor Who,
    >>> he was played by Tom Baker. And no, it wasn't a re-run, the
    >>> episodes were new at the time.

    >> You should check out the new series... It's really pretty good

    > Alas I may now be too old to appreciate it properly

    "Me too", probably. I saw one recent episode, & AFAIC it was crap. The
    so-called "background music" swelled so bloody loud, you could hardly hear what
    the actors were saying. I switched to another channel after 10 minutes.

    >> As for flying Daleks... It seems to me, that there was an episode
    >> when John Pertwee (#3) was doctor - "Planet of the Daleks" if I
    >> recall correctly - where he and his assistant ran up some stairs to
    >> escape a Dalek, and it hovered up after them

    > I must've been hiding behind the sofa at the time
    >
    > I found the original Punch cartoon depicting the "Dalek joke" BTW:
    >
    > http://www.punchcartoons.com/images/....08.05.235.jpg

    LOL!

    --
    Free-BSD 7.0, PC-BSD 1.4
    Linux systems: PCLOS 2007, Mandrake One 2008,

+ Reply to Thread