I love you Kez, but give the Vista-beating a break

,----[ Quote ]
| Yes we all understand. Vista was horrible. It was rushed. It looked.. tacky.
| It was bad all around. But there’s no point in dwelling on it. I don’t need
| you to tell me once a day that Vista is a horrible OS. By now, all of your
| readers have noticed. Either they’ve tried it out themselves, or they’re just
| willing to take your word for it. The point is, enough is really enough.
`----

http://xangelo.nookish.com/wp/?p=21

Users Hate Vista !!

,----[ Quote ]
| The phenomenon of hands-on users being the most resistant explains why so
| many small-business users and consultants have reacted so strongly against
| Vista, noted Gartner’s Silver.
`----

http://www.jithonline.com/archives/105

This IDG/InfoWorld article quoted a Microsoft shill, Michael Silver. Shame on
them for not realising who he really is (clues below).

Related:

NY Times bans Microsoft analysts from Microsoft stories

,----[ Quote ]
| Just days after banning Enderle from discussing Microsoft because
| he has Microsoft as a client, the Times quoted Gartner analyst
| Michael Silver and AMR Research analyst Jim Murphy in a story
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| about Microsoft's Windows and Office software.
|
| If the paper would prefer not to quote an analyst who has
| experience with a client, it did a poor job. Silver is Gartner's
| * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| vice president in charge of client computing. Microsoft happens to
| * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| do lots of business with Gartner and also happens to have a
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| client-software monopoly. We're guessing that Silver knows
| Microsoft's products well and has direct involvement with the
| company.
|
| And, sure enough, he appears a number of times on Microsoft's
| own site and thousands of times in stories about Microsoft.
|
| Jim Murphy - wait for it - covers Microsoft too and is even more
| prolific than Silver.
|
| [...]
|
| Part of the problem stems from the reticence of companies such as
| IDC and Gartner to reveal their clients. That should make everyone
| nervous, but it doesn't. So called objective technology publications
| keep publishing material bought by vendors without telling you this.
| They're also too lazy or scared to ignore the likes of Gartner and
| IDC until the firms change their disclosure rules.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/15/nytimes_ms_ban/

Buy Vista or die

,----[ Quote ]
| Gartner research vice president Michael Silver said that outfits have delayed
| * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| their Vista migrations to the point of stupidity and now some are considering
| late 2008 or even 2009, while others mull skipping the OS completely. *
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...2/07/vista-die

Shill season

,----[ Quote ]
| It's often difficult to figure out the motivation behind a particular
| study - until one finds out who has commissioned and paid for it.
| The so-called tech consulting companies would love it if the consumer
| believes that they have conducted an "independent" study. The worrying
| thing is that not many people blow their cover.
`----

Microsoft Press Releases: Read Between the Lines

,----[ Quote ]
| We have a game we play around the office here with Microsoft press
| releases. The game is called Find the words that make the headline
| true. It's not always easy.
|
| [...]
|
| Our point: Microsoft has a long history of using press releases top
| romote their product momentum in shall we say interesting ways,
| using words like "fastest growing" (meaning, the number we started
| with was really really small) to redefining words such as "sold."
| It's not good marketing practice. Why? Because once consumers and
| press people figure out you are playing lawyer, they stop believing
| you and your brand. And that's more likely to do you harm than good.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/06...0_id.html?.v=1

Leopard gets love, Vista gets dissed

,----[ Quote ]
| This compares to 27 percent of PC buyers who got Vista Home Premium on their
| new PC and a pathetic 15 percent of those who bought PCs with Vista Home
| Basic pre-installed.
|
| [...]
|
| Seemingly contradicting the IDC and Gartner reports released earlier in the
| week that showed the Mac’s market share slipping a bit from the third quarter
| to the fourth, the ChangeWave data showed an increase in Mac buyers. Of those
| who bought a computer in the past 90 days, 17 percent (up from 14 percent)
| said they bought a Mac laptop and 16 percent (up from 10 percent) said they
| bought a Mac desktop.
`----

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/busi...ta_gets_d.html

[On Microsoft 'buying' analysts and shills (own admission)]:

http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowa...00/PX03096.pdf

[Some more at the end of this podcast]:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12..._season_seven/