PC World honours Linux warranty .. - Linux

This is a discussion on PC World honours Linux warranty .. - Linux ; "PC World has denied reports that it considers the warranties on its computers void if customers install Linux" http://news.cnet.co.uk/software/0,39...9292745,00.htm...

  1. PC World honours Linux warranty ..

    "PC World has denied reports that it considers the warranties on its
    computers void if customers install Linux"

    http://news.cnet.co.uk/software/0,39...9292745,00.htm

  2. Re: PC World honours Linux warranty ..

    On 14 Sep, 13:05, Doug Mentohl wrote:
    > "PC World has denied reports that it considers the warranties on its
    > computers void if customers install Linux"
    >
    > http://news.cnet.co.uk/software/0,39...9292745,00.htm

    I thought it was standard practice for warranties to become void if
    different OSes were installed. I have bought 2 PCs that came with
    warranties, and in the small print of both it said all bets were off
    if I installed any OS other than the MS thing it came with. My plan,
    if the need arose, was to hopefully be able to wipe Linux from the
    hard drive before calling in the repair-or-replace man. Luckily that
    need never arose, so I don't know if it would have worked.

    One of my PCs had a sticker on the back of the casing, with "void if
    seal is broken" printed on it. And in the small print of that
    warranty, it said the warranty was null and void if the seal was
    broken. I know that manufacturers like to claim that their products
    contain no "user serviceable components" - but how can such a BS
    condition on a computer warranty be fair and enforceable?

  3. Re: PC World honours Linux warranty ..

    on 14/09/07 13:25 dapunka wrote:

    > I have bought 2 PCs that came with warranties, and in the small
    > print of both it said all bets were off if I installed any OS
    > other than the MS thing it came with ..

    From which manufacturer, is there a copy of these warranties online?

  4. Re: PC World honours Linux warranty ..

    On 14 Sep, 13:34, Doug Mentohl wrote:
    > on 14/09/07 13:25 dapunka wrote:
    >
    > > I have bought 2 PCs that came with warranties, and in the small
    > > print of both it said all bets were off if I installed any OS

    > > other than the MS thing it came with ..

    > From which manufacturer, is there a copy of these warranties online?

    The PCs were Viglen Genies. And I don't know if there are copies of
    the warranty online. These PCs weren't bought new - they were
    reconditioned (ie second-hand, but checked over by technicians before
    sale and components replaced as necessary). I never had any problems
    with them - in fact I'm using one right now to post this. But, as I
    indicated before, it came with Windows XP Pro already installed
    (legally I assume - there's a MS "certificate of authenticity" stuck
    on the side, with the product key number printed on it), and the
    warranty says that installing another OS, or breaking the seal by
    opening the casing, would render said warranty void.

  5. Re: PC World honours Linux warranty ..

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 05:25:56 -0700, dapunka wrote:

    > One of my PCs had a sticker on the back of the casing, with "void if
    > seal is broken" printed on it. And in the small print of that
    > warranty, it said the warranty was null and void if the seal was
    > broken. I know that manufacturers like to claim that their products
    > contain no "user serviceable components" - but how can such a BS
    > condition on a computer warranty be fair and enforceable?

    I've seen that once or twice in my life. I don't think it's enforceable.

    I know for a fact that you wouldn't want to be the person telling me that
    my warranty was void because I opened my box...

  6. Re: PC World honours Linux warranty ..

    dapunka wrote:

    > On 14 Sep, 13:05, Doug Mentohl wrote:
    > > "PC World has denied reports that it considers the warranties on its
    > > computers void if customers install Linux"
    > >
    > > http://news.cnet.co.uk/software/0,39...9292745,00.htm

    > I thought it was standard practice for warranties to become void if
    > different OSes were installed. I have bought 2 PCs that came with

    Use to be. In fact you use to buy computers with sticky labels on them
    as "seals" that voided your warranty if anyone but an authorized tech
    opened the case. You couldn't add RAM, for instance, without paying a
    premium and sometimes shipping costs.

    Fortunately a couple people took these sorts of monopolistic practices
    to task and they've been left in the dust. No more Packard Bell style
    EULA's. ;-)

    > warranties, and in the small print of both it said all bets were off
    > if I installed any OS other than the MS thing it came with. My plan,

    Fine print doesn't mean a damned thing, if it's defining negligence or
    abuse. If you buy a car "as is" for instance, and 10 miles down the
    road it catches fire due to some obvious defect, that seller is still
    liable no matter what sort of agreement you had. It's called "lemon
    laws" in some jurisdictions, and the philosophy applies to almost
    everything.

    > if the need arose, was to hopefully be able to wipe Linux from the
    > hard drive before calling in the repair-or-replace man. Luckily that
    > need never arose, so I don't know if it would have worked.
    >
    > One of my PCs had a sticker on the back of the casing, with "void if
    > seal is broken" printed on it. And in the small print of that
    > warranty, it said the warranty was null and void if the seal was
    > broken. I know that manufacturers like to claim that their products
    > contain no "user serviceable components" - but how can such a BS
    > condition on a computer warranty be fair and enforceable?

    It's not. Not at all.

+ Reply to Thread