MS SOA.hegemony .. - Linux

This is a discussion on MS SOA.hegemony .. - Linux ; "If you look at Microsoft infrastructure, it’s all about trying to lock people into their hegemony and SOA is all about giving control to the user" http://blogs.zdnet.com/Gardner/?p=2538...

  1. MS SOA.hegemony ..

    "If you look at Microsoft infrastructure, it’s all about trying to lock
    people into their hegemony and SOA is all about giving control to the user"

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Gardner/?p=2538

  2. Re: MS SOA.hegemony ..

    Doug Mentohl wrote:

    > "If you look at Microsoft infrastructure, it’s all about
    > trying to lock people into their hegemony and SOA is all about
    > giving control to the user"
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/Gardner/?p=2538

    I found this dialog rather interesting:

    Rosenberg: I can’t tell you I’ve sit there and poured over every
    word. It’s not unlike their “Get the Facts” anti-Linux campaign —
    it’s simultaneously interesting and full of crap at the same time.

    What’s interesting to me about Microsoft’s approach is the
    obvious thing to do with SOA is to say, “Of course we have a
    strategy — here’s what you do now and here’s what we’ll do in the
    future.” What should’ve been very easy for them to say, “Yes,
    we’ll be a part of this and we want to start to think about our
    way of doing [SOA]” — that would be acceptable. Instead they take
    this bizarre approach.

    There’s no clear answer from Microsoft on what their vision for
    SOA is or how their products or things you’d buy from them would
    participate in a SOA. For that matter, there’s nothing from
    Microsoft that would say to someone, “I should use these products
    for my SOA.”

    All of the sudden .NET went from being a language, to an
    application framework, to being a “Windows platform” again.
    It is for reasons like this that I am not a fan of Microsoft's
    ..NET campaign and corollary Mono for Linux.

    Also, recently I experienced Microsoft bypassing options I had
    set for my Home XP Ed. patches download. I have my XP partition
    set to download options, but give me the option to choose what
    downloads are installed. Instead, it did its own thing. That I
    consider unethical. That tells me that they will do whatever
    they want, like it or not.

    Best solution is one that maintains vendor independence. That
    gives a company or individual a choice in who to go to and
    prevents lock-in.

    --
    HPT

  3. Re: MS SOA.hegemony ..

    Verily I say unto thee, that High Plains Thumper spake thusly:

    > There’s no clear answer from Microsoft on what their vision for
    > SOA is or how their products or things you’d buy from them would
    > participate in a SOA. For that matter, there’s nothing from
    > Microsoft that would say to someone, “I should use these products
    > for my SOA.”

    Microsoft's SOA strategy so far has been a mess, and mirrors their
    reluctant entry into the mysterious world of that "Internet" thingy.
    The cause of their reluctance /then/ was the same as it is now with
    SOA ... they needed to find a way to monopolise it. Eventually they
    discovered a lock-in mechanism with Internet Explorer, and all of the
    subsequent spin-off technologies which, like virtually everything else
    from Microsoft, were "acquired" in a hostile fashion, and similarly
    deployed.

    If and when Microsoft fully commits to a mainly SOA model, you can be
    sure they'll do so using proprietary standards; their usual M.O. This is
    why they fear and loath true Open Standards so much, because it
    threatens their only effective business strategy of monopolising any
    given business sector. OOXML is a key part of that strategy, as is .NET,
    so anyone fooled into supporting these "standards" will only get swept
    up in Microsoft's wake, and will ultimately be consumed by it.

    So what, at first glance to the casual observer, may seem like an "open"
    market of SOA solutions, with little to differentiate them other than
    price and performance, will actually be a quagmire of heterogeneous
    technologies, spiked by drugs to induce dependence on Microsoft.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    | - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    `----

    17:16:22 up 37 days, 16:11, 1 user, load average: 0.54, 0.44, 0.29

+ Reply to Thread