[News] [Rival] More of Microsoft's new acknowledgement that Vista has failed - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] More of Microsoft's new acknowledgement that Vista has failed - Linux ; Ballmer's secret plan to inseminate world with Vista ,----[ Quote ] | Maybe the news got lost in the hubbub surrounding Microsoft's offer to buy | Yahoo, but last week Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer finally admitted the company | needs ...

  1. [News] [Rival] More of Microsoft's new acknowledgement that Vista has failed

    Ballmer's secret plan to inseminate world with Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Maybe the news got lost in the hubbub surrounding Microsoft's offer to buy
    | Yahoo, but last week Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer finally admitted the company
    | needs to do a better job marketing Windows Vista. To demonstrate Microsoft's
    | new marketing plan with a visual metaphor, Ballmer and Co. hired circus
    | performers to dress as sperm, wriggling their way into a giant blue egg,
    | which could stand for the earth -- the world of IT.
    `----

    http://valleywag.com/352772/ballmers...rld-with-vista

    I Hate Windows Vista-Sercurity Pop-Ups

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Even when you're opening Windows calendar, you're not safe from Windows
    | Vista's Security pop-ups
    `----

    http://hypertechninja.com/2008/02/05...urity-pop-ups/

    Related:

    Holy Crap: Did Bill Gates Just Say Windows Sucks?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://gizmodo.com/342920/holy-crap-...-windows-sucks

    | Financial Times Deutschland on Monday.

    | Lenovo.

    `----

    http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...SS&NewsID=9579

    Vista marketing chief to bid Microsoft adieu

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Michael Sievert, Corporate Vice President for Windows Product Marketing, is
    | moving on, according to multiple sources of mine.
    |
    | It’s hard to make the case that Sievert, who was responsible for the
    | worldwide introduction of Windows Vista, isn’t being pushed for the
    | less-than-enthusiastic public perception of Microsoft’s latest version of
    | Windows. Even though Microsoft has moved 100-million-plus copies of Vista,
    | many consumers and businesses still consider the new release buggy, sluggish
    | and incompatible with existing software and drivers.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1158

    Vista's Upgrade: Not Worth the Wait

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Although Microsoft has reported solid sales of Vista, a lot of copies went to
    | corporations that tried the program for a few weeks, then downgraded to XP.
    `----

    http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...mpaign_id=yhoo

    Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 Beta

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Windows lives and dies by its service packs. I can't recall the last initial
    | release of any Windows product that didn't have at least some problems.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Still, given that Vista is essentially a rewrite of XP meant to enhance
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | security (and, of course, media features), I'm not surprised to see Microsoft
    | take this route for the service pack.
    `----

    Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista not for pirates

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Although, unlike previous Windows versions, Vista is not available as an
    | activation-free version, a number of more or less effective methods were
    | quickly found to run Vista without activation. However, this is soon to end.
    | According to Microsoft, Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista closes two
    | vulnerabilities which previously enabled operation of Vista without a
    | license.
    `----

    Vista SP1 a Performance Dud

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | After extensive testing of both RTM and SP1-patched versions of Windows
    | Vista, it seems clear that the hoped-for performance fixes that Microsoft has
    | been hinting at never materialized. Vista + SP1 is no faster than Vista from
    | the RTM image.
    |
    | Bottom Line: If you've been disappointed with the performance of Windows
    | Vista to date, get used to it. SP1 is simply not the panacea that many
    | predicted. In the end, it's Vista's architecture - not a lack of tuning or
    | bug fixes - that makes it perform so poorly on systems that
    | were "barn-burners" under Windows XP.
    `----

    http://exo-blog.blogspot.com/2007/11...mance-dud.html

    Vista SP1 won't sacrifice security for compatibility

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Vista SP1 will include a significant number of "proactive" security changes,
    | DeVaan said. These do not represent fixes for specific vulnerabilities,
    | instead they represent Microsoft's efforts to head off potential threats.
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/index.php?opti...24&Itemid=1054

  2. Re: [Rival] More of Microsoft's new acknowledgement that Vista hasfailed

    On Feb 6, 6:43 am, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Ballmer's secret plan to inseminate world with Vista
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Maybe the news got lost in the hubbub surrounding Microsoft's offer to buy
    > | Yahoo, but last week Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer finally admitted the company
    > | needs to do a better job marketing Windows Vista. To demonstrate Microsoft's
    > | new marketing plan with a visual metaphor, Ballmer and Co. hired circus
    > | performers to dress as sperm, wriggling their way into a giant blue egg,
    > | which could stand for the earth -- the world of IT.
    > `----
    >
    > http://valleywag.com/352772/ballmers...eminate-world-...

    The link the article on Ballmer's statements is interesting:
    http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-986...j=BeyondBinary
    He only talks about the need to *market* Vista better, no mention of
    improving its *performance*.
    That's the Microsoft mentality, all right.

  3. Re: [Rival] More of Microsoft's new acknowledgement that Vista has failed

    ____/ nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu on Wednesday 06 February 2008 16:55 : \____

    > On Feb 6, 6:43 am, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Ballmer's secret plan to inseminate world with Vista
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Maybe the news got lost in the hubbub surrounding Microsoft's offer to buy
    >> | Yahoo, but last week Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer finally admitted the
    >> | company needs to do a better job marketing Windows Vista. To demonstrate
    >> | Microsoft's new marketing plan with a visual metaphor, Ballmer and Co.
    >> | hired circus performers to dress as sperm, wriggling their way into a
    >> | giant blue egg, which could stand for the earth -- the world of IT.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://valleywag.com/352772/ballmers...eminate-world-...

    > ..
    > The link the article on Ballmer's statements is interesting:

    http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-986...j=BeyondBinary
    > He only talks about the need to *market* Vista better, no mention of
    > improving its *performance*.
    > That's the Microsoft mentality, all right.

    He is a marketing person, not an engineer. I linked to the ZDNet/CNET article
    yesterday saying the same thing as you did. A couple of years ago Ballmer was
    doing the "advertisers advertisers advertisers" chant. Perhaps the good
    developers have already left. I could name quite a few.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Google: organising the world's information. Government: reorgnaising
    the world's information (censorship) in its favour
    00:20:01 up 13 days, 10:14, 4 users, load average: 1.06, 1.07, 1.47

  4. Re: [Rival] More of Microsoft's new acknowledgement that Vista has failed

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu on Wednesday 06 February 2008 16:55 : \____
    >
    >> On Feb 6, 6:43 am, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> Ballmer's secret plan to inseminate world with Vista
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://valleywag.com/352772/ballmers...eminate-world-...

    >> ..
    >> The link the article on Ballmer's statements is interesting:
    >>

    > http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-986...j=BeyondBinary
    >> He only talks about the need to *market* Vista better, no mention of
    >> improving its *performance*.
    >> That's the Microsoft mentality, all right.

    > He is a marketing person, not an engineer. I linked to the ZDNet/CNET article
    > yesterday saying the same thing as you did. A couple of years ago Ballmer was
    > doing the "advertisers advertisers advertisers" chant. Perhaps the good
    > developers have already left. I could name quite a few.

    I made the same observation before I saw Nessuno's. It does sum up the
    problem.