hasta la Vista, Microsoft! .. - Linux

This is a discussion on hasta la Vista, Microsoft! .. - Linux ; "It's faster than Windows, it fights viruses – and it's free. Jimmy Lee Shreeve on the software that's bringing more power to our PCs" "Ubuntu It's not quite as "plug and play" as Windows" http://news.independent.co.uk/sci_te...cle2904210.ece Actually that's not my experience. ...

  1. hasta la Vista, Microsoft! ..

    "It's faster than Windows, it fights viruses – and it's free. Jimmy Lee
    Shreeve on the software that's bringing more power to our PCs"

    "Ubuntu It's not quite as "plug and play" as Windows"

    http://news.independent.co.uk/sci_te...cle2904210.ece

    Actually that's not my experience. I recently moved to Ubuntu, the
    installation went smoothly, all the hardware was correctly identified.
    The only things I had to do was give standard user write access to the
    CD burner. K3B identified that MP3 codec was missing, because of
    licensing nonsence. sudo apt-get install k3b-mp3 fixed that.

    --

    quick, send in the TROLLS ...

  2. Re: hasta la Vista, Microsoft! ..

    Doug Mentohl writes:

    > "It's faster than Windows, it fights viruses – and it's free. Jimmy
    > Lee Shreeve on the software that's bringing more power to our PCs"
    >
    > "Ubuntu It's not quite as "plug and play" as Windows"
    >
    > http://news.independent.co.uk/sci_te...cle2904210.ece
    >
    > Actually that's not my experience. I recently moved to Ubuntu, the
    > installation went smoothly, all the hardware was correctly
    > identified. The only things I had to do was give standard user write
    > access to the CD burner. K3B identified that MP3 codec was missing,
    > because of licensing nonsence. sudo apt-get install k3b-mp3 fixed
    > that.

    Well done. You managed to post a link to a real advocacy article.

  3. Re: hasta la Vista, Microsoft! ..

    "We are either doing something, or we are not. 'Talking about' is a
    subset of 'not'."

  4. Re: hasta la Vista, Microsoft! ..

    Hadron wrote:

    > Well done. You managed to post a link to a real advocacy article.

    This is an advocacy group for Linux.

    BTW, what are you doing here?

  5. Re: hasta la Vista, Microsoft! ..

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 11:57:01 +0100, Doug Mentohl wrote:

    > "It's faster than Windows, it fights viruses – and it's free. Jimmy Lee
    > Shreeve on the software that's bringing more power to our PCs"
    >
    > "Ubuntu It's not quite as "plug and play" as Windows"
    >
    > http://news.independent.co.uk/sci_te...cle2904210.ece
    >
    > Actually that's not my experience. I recently moved to Ubuntu, the
    > installation went smoothly, all the hardware was correctly identified.
    > The only things I had to do was give standard user write access to the
    > CD burner. K3B identified that MP3 codec was missing, because of
    > licensing nonsence. sudo apt-get install k3b-mp3 fixed that.

    I just installed Kubuntu and XP onto a new Toshiba A200 laptop. I had to
    download about 400MB of drivers. Even the ethernet port didn't work
    without installing a driver.

    Kubuntu recognized everything. To be fair, I had to add one line to
    modprobe.d/alsa-base to properly enable the sound chipset (it was
    detected, but not properly initialized) and I added a line to xorg.conf so
    that the KDE touchpad software can enable/disable the touchpad on the fly.
    It wasn't necessary, but I hate touchpads. they get in the way of my
    typing. And I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

  6. Re: hasta la Vista, Microsoft! ..

    Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Well done. You managed to post a link to a real advocacy article.

    > This is an advocacy group for Linux.
    >
    > BTW, what are you doing here?

    "true linux advocacy" naturally

    Translation: He is astroturfing for windows
    --
    I just found out that the brain is like a computer.
    If that's true, then there really aren't any stupid people.

  7. Re: hasta la Vista, Microsoft! ..

    alt wrote:

    > Kubuntu recognized everything. To be fair, I had to add one line to
    > modprobe.d/alsa-base to properly enable the sound chipset (it was
    > detected, but not properly initialized) and I added a line to xorg.conf so
    > that the KDE touchpad software can enable/disable the touchpad on the fly.
    > It wasn't necessary, but I hate touchpads. they get in the way of my
    > typing. And I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

    I use the IBM Thinkpad trackpoint. "Tweaking the nipple".

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  8. Re: hasta la Vista, Microsoft! ..

    On Sep 15, 3:19 am, Gregory Shearman wrote:
    > alt wrote:
    > > Kubuntu recognized everything. To be fair, I had to add one line to
    > > modprobe.d/alsa-base to properly enable the sound chipset (it was
    > > detected, but not properly initialized) and I added a line to xorg.conf so
    > > that the KDE touchpad software can enable/disable the touchpad on the fly.
    > > It wasn't necessary, but I hate touchpads. they get in the way of my
    > > typing. And I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

    > I use the IBM Thinkpad trackpoint. "Tweaking the nipple".

    Same here... But I thought the trackpoint was colloquially known as
    the clitoris, which happens to be located between the G and the H
    spot. :-)

    -Ramon

  9. Re: hasta la Vista, Microsoft! ..

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Jim Richardson belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 13:09:45 +0200,
    > Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >> Well done. You managed to post a link to a real advocacy article.

    > And you managed to be a jerk about it.

    That's his job, that's what he does.

    Oh-darn is one of those fellows who, although perhaps intelligent,
    alienates those around him, and then believes they are at fault.

    --
    Tux rox!

  10. Re: hasta la Vista, Microsoft! ..

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Ramon F Herrera belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Sep 15, 3:19 am, Gregory Shearman wrote:
    >> alt wrote:
    >> > Kubuntu recognized everything. To be fair, I had to add one line to
    >> > modprobe.d/alsa-base to properly enable the sound chipset (it was
    >> > detected, but not properly initialized) and I added a line to xorg.conf so
    >> > that the KDE touchpad software can enable/disable the touchpad on the fly.
    >> > It wasn't necessary, but I hate touchpads. they get in the way of my
    >> > typing. And I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

    > > I use the IBM Thinkpad trackpoint. "Tweaking the nipple".

    > Same here... But I thought the trackpoint was colloquially known as
    > the clitoris, which happens to be located between the G and the H
    > spot. :-)

    You beat me to it (and then added lagniappe!)

    Another story. I found a rollup keyboard in, of all places, a Bi-Lo
    grocery store, so I bought it and brought it to work. It works
    reasonably well, you have to strike it a bit hard for long-term use, but
    it is a great item for the road.

    Anyway, when he tried it, he said "It feels like a nipple".

    Gotta love the tactile user interface (TUI).

    --
    Tux rox!

  11. Re: hasta la Vista, Microsoft! ..

    Tattoo Vampire writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Well done. You managed to post a link to a real advocacy article.

    > This is an advocacy group for Linux.
    >
    > BTW, what are you doing here?

    Trying to highlight the lies and bull**** uttered by most of the
    "advocates". It does real advocacy no good at all.

    --
    En lo material la bella medianÃ*a es más segura que la megalomanÃ*a.
    -- Demócrito de Abdera. (460-370 a.C.) Filósofo griego.

  12. Re: hasta la Vista, Microsoft! ..

    Hadron wrote:

    > Trying to highlight the lies and bull**** uttered by most of the
    > "advocates". It does real advocacy no good at all.

    But why should you care what a bunch of linux nuts think or say, Hadron?

  13. Re: hasta la Vista, Microsoft! ..

    Tattoo Vampire writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Trying to highlight the lies and bull**** uttered by most of the
    >> "advocates". It does real advocacy no good at all.

    > But why should you care what a bunch of linux nuts think or say,
    > Hadron?

    Because life's a game.

    --
    El hombre llora; este es su más hermoso privilegio.
    -- Delille.

  14. Re: hasta la Vista, Microsoft! ..

    Hadron wrote:

    > Because life's a game.

    Translation: "Because I'm a troll".

    P.S. You do a good job trolling the Ubuntu NG. Some of those folks seem to
    think you're actually a Linux user.

  15. Re: hasta la Vista, Microsoft! ..

    Tattoo Vampire writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Because life's a game.

    > Translation: "Because I'm a troll".
    >
    > P.S. You do a good job trolling the Ubuntu NG. Some of those folks seem to
    > think you're actually a Linux user.

    Err, because I am? Surely you're not as stupid as the COLA twits in
    genera?? Or are you trolling me back here?

    Let me explain : pointing out that Mark Kent, Roy and their ilk are
    overly self absorbed wankers who lie and preen to their hearts content
    is not trolling. Neither is helping out other Linux nOObs in the Ubuntu
    newsgroup and slapping morons like mlwst and "oldtech" who were posting
    blatant misinformation about people and technical issues.

    In fact expect to see a detailed post about moving from Ubuntu to Debian
    Etch, backports and repository pinning in the near future.

    --
    Kansas City <--> Satanic sky
    -- anagrama

  16. Re: hasta la Vista, Microsoft! ..

    Hadron wrote:

    > Or are you trolling me back here?

    Hmmmm? :-P

  17. Re: hasta la Vista, Microsoft! ..

    It was on, or about, Sun, 16 Sep 2007 12:28:42 -0400, that as I was
    halfway through a large jam doughnut, Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Or are you trolling me back here?

    > Hmmmm? :-P

    So Quack admits he's trolling....well, well.

    --
    Surely you are not comparing the non-existent Linux (at that time) with
    (Windows)98? - Hadron aka Hadron Quark, Hans Schneider, & Damian O'Leary
  18. Re: hasta la Vista, Microsoft! ..

    It was on, or about, Sat, 15 Sep 2007 09:02:01 +0200, that as I was
    halfway through a large jam doughnut, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    > Tattoo Vampire wrote:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well done. You managed to post a link to a real advocacy article.

    >> This is an advocacy group for Linux.
    >>
    >> BTW, what are you doing here?

    > "true linux advocacy" naturally
    >
    > Translation: He is astroturfing for windows

    Well at any rate he's *certainly* trolling, & he's admitted it.
    --
    Surely you are not comparing the non-existent Linux (at that time) with
    (Windows)98? - Hadron aka Hadron Quark, Hans Schneider, & Damian O'Leary
    comp.os.linux.advocacy - Thu, 16 Aug 2007
  19. Re: hasta la Vista, Microsoft! ..

    Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    >Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Because life's a game.