working in IT .. - Linux

This is a discussion on working in IT .. - Linux ; 'If you are preparing for a career in IT or are new to IT, many of the "dirty little secrets" listed below may surprise you because we don't usually talk about them out loud' http://tinyurl.com/2eb4gf http://www.builderau.com.au/strategy...9281833,00.htm...

  1. working in IT ..

    'If you are preparing for a career in IT or are new to IT, many of the
    "dirty little secrets" listed below may surprise you because we don't
    usually talk about them out loud'

    http://tinyurl.com/2eb4gf
    http://www.builderau.com.au/strategy...9281833,00.htm

  2. Re: working in IT ..

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 11:47:38 +0100, Doug Mentohl wrote:

    > 'If you are preparing for a career in IT or are new to IT, many of the
    > "dirty little secrets" listed below may surprise you because we don't
    > usually talk about them out loud'
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/2eb4gf
    > http://www.builderau.com.au/strategy...9281833,00.htm

    A lot of this stuff is hardly unique to IT, particularly the first few
    points.

    --
    Kier

  3. Re: working in IT ..

    Doug Mentohl writes:

    > 'If you are preparing for a career in IT or are new to IT, many of the
    > "dirty little secrets" listed below may surprise you because we don't
    > usually talk about them out loud'
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/2eb4gf
    > http://www.builderau.com.au/strategy...9281833,00.htm

    What a perfectly pathetic, trite, low brow article. Swap IT for any
    other sector and it could be equally true.

    I can't think of one point in that article which couldn't have been
    deduced by even Mark Kent and 7 combined.

    --
    Un mar de fondo sereno hay en mÃ*. ¡Cualquiera adivinarÃ*a que oculta
    graciosos y traviesos monstruos!

  4. Re: working in IT ..

    on 14/09/07 12:02 Kier wrote:

    > A lot of this stuff is hardly unique to IT,
    > particularly the first few points.

    Except in other kinds of jobs you don't get morons yelling in your ear
    while your trying to fix a computer. Or complaining to your manager
    after you have sucessfully completed the task, after waiting ten minutes
    whie they (wrongly) show you how to do it.

  5. Re: working in IT ..

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 12:12:14 +0100, Doug Mentohl wrote:

    > on 14/09/07 12:02 Kier wrote:
    >
    >> A lot of this stuff is hardly unique to IT,
    > > particularly the first few points.

    > Except in other kinds of jobs you don't get morons yelling in your ear
    > while your trying to fix a computer. Or complaining to your manager
    > after you have sucessfully completed the task, after waiting ten minutes
    > whie they (wrongly) show you how to do it.

    Really? Where on Earth do you work if you think that this kind of
    thing doesn't happen outside of IT?

    --
    Kier

  6. Re: working in IT ..

    Doug Mentohl wrote:

    > 'If you are preparing for a career in IT or are new to IT, many of the
    > "dirty little secrets" listed below may surprise you because we don't
    > usually talk about them out loud'
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/2eb4gf

    http://www.builderau.com.au/strategy...9281833,00.htm

    3. Veteran IT professionals are often the biggest roadblock to implementing
    new technologies

    That isn't quite true, we always have the bee's knees of new technology in
    our office. It's just that we don't necessarily give users access to it.

    The rest of the list was pretty accurate.

  7. Re: working in IT ..

    Doug Mentohl wrote:

    > on 14/09/07 12:02 Kier wrote:
    >
    >> A lot of this stuff is hardly unique to IT,
    > > particularly the first few points.

    > Except in other kinds of jobs you don't get morons yelling in your ear
    > while your trying to fix a computer. Or complaining to your manager
    > after you have sucessfully completed the task, after waiting ten minutes
    > whie they (wrongly) show you how to do it.

    ..... they will use you as a reason why their work will be late, it probably
    isn't late and they have plenty of time to catch up, but you are now a
    means for them to get longer to complete it.

    Broad shoulders and thick skull are probably the most important attribute of
    a IT person.

  8. Re: working in IT ..

    Doug Mentohl writes:

    > on 14/09/07 12:02 Kier wrote:
    >
    >> A lot of this stuff is hardly unique to IT, particularly the first
    >> few points.

    > Except in other kinds of jobs you don't get morons yelling in your ear
    > while your trying to fix a computer. Or complaining to your manager
    > after you have sucessfully completed the task, after waiting ten
    > minutes whie they (wrongly) show you how to do it.

    Way to miss the point.

    Remove the word "computer" and replace it with "anything else in the world".

    --
    S tu rsc a lggr qst, pu trvr un bn lvr nll prgrmmzn d cmptr.

  9. Re: working in IT ..

    Hadron wrote:

    > Doug Mentohl writes:
    >
    >> on 14/09/07 12:02 Kier wrote:
    >>
    >>> A lot of this stuff is hardly unique to IT, particularly the first
    >>> few points.

    >> Except in other kinds of jobs you don't get morons yelling in your ear
    >> while your trying to fix a computer. Or complaining to your manager
    >> after you have sucessfully completed the task, after waiting ten
    >> minutes whie they (wrongly) show you how to do it.

    > Way to miss the point.
    >
    > Remove the word "computer" and replace it with "anything else in the
    > world".

    You really are thick aren't you.

    The poster did not make any claim that this was a purely IT concept. But
    only that it is relevant to IT folk, which it is, I identified with every
    point on the list.

    Go sit down and put a damp cloth on your head, it's probably the summer heat
    affecting your brain cell. Oh, it's not summer now is it, sorry must be a
    permanent state for you then.

  10. Re: working in IT ..

    BearItAll writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Doug Mentohl writes:

    >>> Except in other kinds of jobs you don't get morons yelling in your ear
    >>> while your trying to fix a computer. Or complaining to your manager
    >>> after you have sucessfully completed the task, after waiting ten
    >>> minutes whie they (wrongly) show you how to do it.

    >> Way to miss the point.
    >>
    >> Remove the word "computer" and replace it with "anything else in the
    >> world".
    >>

    > You really are thick aren't you.
    >
    > The poster did not make any claim that this was a purely IT concept. But
    > only that it is relevant to IT folk, which it is, I identified with every
    > point on the list.
    >
    > Go sit down and put a damp cloth on your head, it's probably the summer heat
    > affecting your brain cell. Oh, it's not summer now is it, sorry must be a
    > permanent state for you then.

    Do you EVER read before you type? Re-read Doug's reply. Then read
    mine. If you don't understand what is being said, just ask someone.

    Calling people thick is more indicative of your own limits IMO.

+ Reply to Thread