Windows now underprices free - Linux

This is a discussion on Windows now underprices free - Linux ; The basic bottom of the line Dell Inspiron 530 with Windows Home Basic and support is $499 versus the Ubuntu Dell Inspiron 530N with no support at $509. Seems like lukewarm has migrated to chilly....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 61

  1. Windows now underprices free

    The basic bottom of the line Dell Inspiron 530 with Windows Home Basic and
    support is $499 versus the Ubuntu Dell Inspiron 530N with no support at
    $509. Seems like lukewarm has migrated to chilly.

  2. Vista only worth $10 Dollars says amicus fuddie ..

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > The basic bottom of the line Dell Inspiron 530 with Windows Home Basic and support is $499 versus the Ubuntu Dell Inspiron 530N with no support at $509. Seems like lukewarm has migrated to chilly.

    What support, you get to talk to a call centrer in India who tells you
    to reinstall, reinstall, reinstall. And you're forgetting that basic
    Vista only comes with basic software that timesout after a period. You
    then have to go out and spend another $499 Dollars on software.

  3. Re: Vista only worth $10 Dollars says amicus fuddie ..

    "Doug Mentohl" wrote in message
    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> The basic bottom of the line Dell Inspiron 530 with Windows Home Basic
    >> and support is $499 versus the Ubuntu Dell Inspiron 530N with no support
    >> at $509. Seems like lukewarm has migrated to chilly.

    > What support, you get to talk to a call centrer in India who tells you to
    > reinstall, reinstall, reinstall. And you're forgetting that basic Vista
    > only comes with basic software that timesout after a period. You then have
    > to go out and spend another $499 Dollars on software.

    Nonsense. You can go get the very same OSS stuff that Linux fans are so
    fond of anytime that you feel the need. As near as I can tell, you can get
    even more stuff to run on Vista from the OSS sites than you can get to run
    on Linux. Even OSS developers know which side the bread is buttered on.

  4. Re: Windows now underprices free

    On Feb 4, 11:17 am, "amicus_curious" wrote:
    > The basic bottom of the line Dell Inspiron 530 with Windows Home Basic and
    > support is $499 versus the Ubuntu Dell Inspiron 530N with no support at
    > $509. Seems like lukewarm has migrated to chilly.

    This actually makes sense. Remember, Dell buys Windows licenses in
    bulk. They have to pay for the license, whether you use it or not.
    The Ubuntu installation is custom work, and requires additional
    inventory and a quick drive swap. I assume that the drives are loaded
    in bulk.

    Dell Still has lots of Open Source Laptops in the Lattitude Line.
    http://tinyurl.com/2f5l9v

    Seems like Vista-only PC prices are crashing even faster.
    http://tinyurl.com/2z2o48

    http://tinyurl.com/33dfao
    I see a number of Linux desktops available.
    But not the Inspiron 530N

  5. Re: Vista only worth $10 Dollars says amicus fuddie ..

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > you can get even more stuff to run on Vista from the OSS sites ..

    So what's MICROS~1 making on each licensed Vista sold on Dell hardware?
    It is curious that Dell + Vista is priced at Dell + Linux + $10 Dollars ..

  6. Re: Vista only worth $10 Dollars says amicus fuddie ..

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > Nonsense. You can go get the very same OSS stuff that Linux fans are so
    > fond of anytime that you feel the need. As near as I can tell, you can get
    > even more stuff to run on Vista from the OSS sites than you can get to run
    > on Linux. Even OSS developers know which side the bread is buttered on.

    Careful there, you start convincing the Windows users to download
    open source software, and pretty soon they may decide they don't
    even need Windows anymore.

    It happened that way with one of my neighbors. She realized she
    was pretty much using only firefox and OpenOffice on her Windows
    system, realized she could do the same on Ubuntu, made the switch
    and never looked back.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  7. Re: Windows now underprices free

    * amicus_curious peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > The basic bottom of the line Dell Inspiron 530 with Windows Home Basic and
    > support is $499 versus the Ubuntu Dell Inspiron 530N with no support at
    > $509. Seems like lukewarm has migrated to chilly.

    Sounds like you're on the wrong DELL page:

    Ubuntu:

    http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...=DDCWDAL&s=dhs

    Base price after instant savings: $509
    With starter support: $574
    1 year of basic support: $634
    1 year of standard support: $784

    Windows:

    http://www.dell.com/content/topics/s...=19&l=en&s=dhs

    As selected: $499
    DellCare Value: $677
    DellCare Plus: $741
    DellCare Premium: $797

    Both are after $100 instant savings, but the Windows prices are after
    another 10% off. Wonder who is subsidizing that little deal?

    Hard to compare, though, it does look like you might get extra support
    for the Windows solution.

    Of course, with Windows, you will actually /need/ it.

    Interesting that you are reduced to this old troll, by the way.

    --
    Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.
    -- Bill Gates

  8. Re: Vista only worth $10 Dollars says amicus fuddie ..

    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> you can get even more stuff to run on Vista from the OSS sites ..

    > So what's MICROS~1 making on each licensed Vista sold on Dell hardware?

    They're making enough to pay all of their employees, pay all of their taxes,
    fines, utilities and still make a tidy profit of BILLIONS of dollars every
    90 days.

    > It is curious that Dell + Vista is priced at Dell + Linux + $10 Dollars ..

    You loons seem fixated that the only "cost" that exists is the cost of the
    actual software. Support, manufacturing, pre-production, etc. don't all
    "just happen" for free.

  9. Re: Vista only worth $10 Dollars says amicus fuddie ..

    "Doug Mentohl" wrote in message
    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> you can get even more stuff to run on Vista from the OSS sites ..

    > So what's MICROS~1 making on each licensed Vista sold on Dell hardware? It
    > is curious that Dell + Vista is priced at Dell + Linux + $10 Dollars ..

    I don't think that you understood my original comment. The price for the
    Inspiron 530 with Vista is $499. The price for it with Ubuntu is $509, i.e.
    $10 more.

    The sales price for OEM Vista to Dell is something that is not readily
    available, but it is mandated by the court's order to be the same for all
    who purchase equivalent quantitites and to be disclosed to at least the top
    20 purchasers of OEM licenses so that no one is treated unfairly. Microsoft
    had been disclosing their price range to all OEMs, not just the top 20, at
    last report. Also, they were selling XP for around $55 a couple of years
    ago. I don't know what Vista is priced at, but it is said to be a little
    higher.

  10. Re: Windows now underprices free

    "Rex Ballard" wrote in message
    > On Feb 4, 11:17 am, "amicus_curious" wrote:
    >> The basic bottom of the line Dell Inspiron 530 with Windows Home Basic
    >> and
    >> support is $499 versus the Ubuntu Dell Inspiron 530N with no support at
    >> $509. Seems like lukewarm has migrated to chilly.

    > This actually makes sense. Remember, Dell buys Windows licenses in
    > bulk. They have to pay for the license, whether you use it or not.

    Not true. You are way behind the times. In 1994 Microsoft agreed as part
    of a settlement with the DOJ that they would no longer license DOS or
    Windows this way. They have been charging only for licenses actually
    shipped ever since and the courts and DOJ have been scrutinizing this ever
    since.

    > The Ubuntu installation is custom work, and requires additional
    > inventory and a quick drive swap. I assume that the drives are loaded
    > in bulk.
    >
    > Dell Still has lots of Open Source Laptops in the Lattitude Line.
    > http://tinyurl.com/2f5l9v
    >
    > Seems like Vista-only PC prices are crashing even faster.
    > http://tinyurl.com/2z2o48
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/33dfao
    > I see a number of Linux desktops available.
    > But not the Inspiron 530N

    You are looking in the wrong place. You are in the business section and
    there are no Linux desktops there, only freeDOS if you don't want Windows at
    all. You need to look in the home and home office section:
    http://www.dell.com/content/topics/s...=19&l=en&s=dhs

  11. Re: Vista only worth $10 Dollars says amicus fuddie ..

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > I don't know what Vista is priced at, but it is said to be a little higher.

    $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10

    In this case it's $10 Dollars ..

    $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10

  12. Re: Windows now underprices free

    Linonut wrote:

    > Both are after $100 instant savings, but the Windows prices are after
    > another 10% off. Wonder who is subsidizing that little deal?
    >
    > Hard to compare, though, it does look like you might get extra support
    > for the Windows solution.
    >
    > Of course, with Windows, you will actually /need/ it.
    >
    > Interesting that you are reduced to this old troll, by the way.

    It is especially interesting considering not too many years ago
    they used to make noise about Linux not being available at all
    as a consumer OS option at Dell. Now they are reduced to
    quibbling over a few dollars difference in system price.

    This may surprise the wintrolls out there, but Linux users
    actually run Linux because they want Linux, not just because
    they are trying to save a few bucks. If it saves me the
    install time, I am even willing to pay a bit more for a Linux
    pre-load than I would for a comparable Windows system.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  13. Re: Vista only worth $10 Dollars says amicus fuddie ..

    wrote in message
    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >>
    >> Nonsense. You can go get the very same OSS stuff that Linux fans are so
    >> fond of anytime that you feel the need. As near as I can tell, you can
    >> get
    >> even more stuff to run on Vista from the OSS sites than you can get to
    >> run
    >> on Linux. Even OSS developers know which side the bread is buttered on.

    > Careful there, you start convincing the Windows users to download
    > open source software, and pretty soon they may decide they don't
    > even need Windows anymore.

    Well, very few Windows users seem convinced today. Of course I haven't
    really been trying to convince them either. The point is that cheapo
    applications from OSS sources are just as cheap for Windows as they are for
    Linux.

    > It happened that way with one of my neighbors. She realized she
    > was pretty much using only firefox and OpenOffice on her Windows
    > system, realized she could do the same on Ubuntu, made the switch
    > and never looked back.

    I'm sure Microsoft will feel the loss, but not until she buys a new
    computer. Then she will apparently pay more unless she can talk you into
    once again removing Windows and re-loading Ubuntu. Else she will have to
    pay more for having someone such as Dell do it.

    > --
    > Yeah, I drank the Open Source cool-aid... Unlike the other brand, it had
    > all the ingredients on the label.

    Still kind of stale and shop-worn as a slug line.

  14. Re: Windows now underprices free

    thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com writes:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >> Both are after $100 instant savings, but the Windows prices are after
    >> another 10% off. Wonder who is subsidizing that little deal?
    >>
    >> Hard to compare, though, it does look like you might get extra support
    >> for the Windows solution.
    >>
    >> Of course, with Windows, you will actually /need/ it.
    >>
    >> Interesting that you are reduced to this old troll, by the way.

    > It is especially interesting considering not too many years ago
    > they used to make noise about Linux not being available at all
    > as a consumer OS option at Dell. Now they are reduced to
    > quibbling over a few dollars difference in system price.
    >
    > This may surprise the wintrolls out there, but Linux users
    > actually run Linux because they want Linux, not just because
    > they are trying to save a few bucks. If it saves me the
    > install time, I am even willing to pay a bit more for a Linux
    > pre-load than I would for a comparable Windows system.
    >
    > Thad

    Jesus Thad. You really are losing it man. I thought you were sensible
    for a while. Now you're justifying things that were denied in the same
    thread.

  15. Re: Windows now underprices free

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, amicus_curious

    wrote
    on Mon, 4 Feb 2008 11:17:06 -0500
    <47a73a8a$0$29792$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>:
    > The basic bottom of the line Dell Inspiron 530 with
    > Windows Home Basic and support is $499 versus the
    > Ubuntu Dell Inspiron 530N with no support at
    > $509. Seems like lukewarm has migrated to chilly.

    Extremely. Of course, what is Dell? They have to
    move inventory. The best way to move it is to
    sell it under cost...and of course that's also
    the most costly, as it reduces profits.

    There's also your sloppiness. Best I can do is
    note that the Inspiron 530 without monitor has
    a starting price of $379, and that includes:

    - no service
    - Intel Celeron 420 @ 1.60 GHz / 800 MHz FSB
    - Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic (English)
    - no monitor
    - 1 GB RAM (2 512 MB sticks) @ 667 MHz
    - 250 GB drive
    - 48x CDRW/DVD Combo drive
    - Integrated Intel Graphics media Accelerator 3100
    - Integrated 7.1 channel audio
    - no tuner
    - Dell USB Keyboard and Dell Premium Optical USB Mouse
    - no Bluetooth
    - Dell 19 in 1 media card reader
    - 56K PCI Data Fax modem
    - no optional IEE1394a ports
    - 1 year in home service, parts + labor

    The Inspiron 530N (aka Mister Ubuntu) does not offer a
    Celeron; the only processor offered is an E2160. It is
    also preloaded with a monitor (but one can deselect
    a monitor). The video card is a 128 MB NVIDIA 8300GS.
    Total price? $369.

    Fair comparison? Probably not.

    The Inspiron 530N (huh?) DOS variant offers only a E4500
    or E6550, a 320 GB drive, and a 16X DVD+/-RW drive.
    After $100 rebate one gets a $409 machine.

    I can select the E2160, changing the no-monitor 530 to
    $489. The video card can be changed, adding an additional
    $60; it's now $549.

    Just to confuse things even more, if one selects 530 with
    monitor, and then says "No Monitor", one gets a $359 machine
    (after instant rebate); this is with a E2160.

    Caveat emptor! And know what you're getting into. It
    appears Dell loves to compare apples to kumquats; the
    naive shopper might easily get confused here.

    Just for comparison's sake, a Ratel from System76
    offers no E2160 variant, but does offer either E2140
    or E2180; selecting E2140, 1GB RAM, 250 GB drive, and
    a CD-RW/DVD unit, one gets a price of $499.

    Eracks offers a DESQ system starting at $360, but
    it only has 512 MB RAM and 80 GB drive at that price.
    However, it's 800 MHz RAM, which is faster. The processor
    selection is a bit bewildering; the base unit goes with a
    Celeron which runs at 2.8 GHz; the E2160 is not offered.
    Total price with the Celeron, 1 GB 800 MHz RAM,
    and 250 GB drive: $410.

    Shop around; that's all I can suggest.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #110309238:
    item * f(item *p) { if(p = NULL) return new item; else return p; }

  16. Re: Windows now underprices free

    wrote in message

    > It is especially interesting considering not too many years ago
    > they used to make noise about Linux not being available at all
    > as a consumer OS option at Dell. Now they are reduced to
    > quibbling over a few dollars difference in system price.

    Well, my take is that Linux on the desktop is still an obscure entity that
    next to no one would ever stumble across and fewer yet would succumb to the
    Siren song being played on the Dell channel. There is no question that
    tools like you would be willing "to pay a bit more for a Linux pre-load than
    .... for a comparable Windows system", but I feel confident that it will not
    affect commerce in any measurable way.

    > This may surprise the wintrolls out there, but Linux users
    > actually run Linux because they want Linux, not just because
    > they are trying to save a few bucks.

    Some do, I am sure. Others are not "trying to save a few bucks" either,
    they apparently don't have even a few bucks and are scrounging around. I
    wouldn't think that anyone would switch from Windows to Linux for the cost
    savings, which are typically the opposite direction with the cost of
    switching much higher in terms of lost access to prior investments and of
    time-lost in re-learning how to cope with such a new and highly technical
    environment.

  17. Re: Vista only worth $10 Dollars says amicus fuddie ..

    amicus_curious wrote:

    >> Careful there, you start convincing the Windows users to download
    >> open source software, and pretty soon they may decide they don't
    >> even need Windows anymore.

    > Well, very few Windows users seem convinced today. Of course I haven't
    > really been trying to convince them either. The point is that cheapo
    > applications from OSS sources are just as cheap for Windows as they are for
    > Linux.

    Yes, and I maintain that the availability of those apps on Windows
    introduces users to open source and makes them comfortable with it.
    Even in planned corporate migrations, it all goes much more smoothly
    if you can replace the app stack a piece at a time first, then
    switch out the OS whenever it is convenient.

    >> It happened that way with one of my neighbors. She realized she
    >> was pretty much using only firefox and OpenOffice on her Windows
    >> system, realized she could do the same on Ubuntu, made the switch
    >> and never looked back.
    >>

    > I'm sure Microsoft will feel the loss, but not until she buys a new
    > computer. Then she will apparently pay more unless she can talk you into
    > once again removing Windows and re-loading Ubuntu. Else she will have to
    > pay more for having someone such as Dell do it.

    Actually, I just gave her a live CD. I assume she did the install
    herself. The newer versions of Linux are really rather easy to
    install and use you know.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  18. Re: Vista only worth $10 Dollars says amicus fuddie ..

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Doug Mentohl

    wrote
    on Mon, 04 Feb 2008 18:43:53 +0000
    :
    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> I don't know what Vista is priced at, but it is said to be a little higher.

    > $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10
    >
    > In this case it's $10 Dollars ..
    >
    > $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10

    It's a little more complicated than that. Read my other post.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Murphy was an optimist.

  19. Re: Windows now underprices free

    Hadron wrote:

    >> It is especially interesting considering not too many years ago
    >> they used to make noise about Linux not being available at all
    >> as a consumer OS option at Dell. Now they are reduced to
    >> quibbling over a few dollars difference in system price.
    >>
    >> This may surprise the wintrolls out there, but Linux users
    >> actually run Linux because they want Linux, not just because
    >> they are trying to save a few bucks. If it saves me the
    >> install time, I am even willing to pay a bit more for a Linux
    >> pre-load than I would for a comparable Windows system.
    >>
    >> Thad

    > Jesus Thad. You really are losing it man. I thought you were sensible
    > for a while. Now you're justifying things that were denied in the same
    > thread.

    Eh? I don't know what denial you are talking about. I remember
    something about a Vista system being $10 cheaper than an Ubuntu
    system. Maybe someone tried to argue against that, or talked about
    support costs as a counter argument... whatever. Regardless of
    what the actual pricing is, my point remains: I am willing to pay
    more for Linux than Windows, so a difference of a few dollars
    does not effect my choice. My time is too valuable to spend on
    spinning an install CD when the vendor is willing to do the work
    for me. Before Dell offered it, I bought from Penguin Computers
    for the same reason. Others in this group might make a lot of
    noise about initial purchase cost, but honestly that is not what
    I'm seeing as the driving factor out in the business world, its
    long term support costs that make a bigger difference.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  20. Re: Vista only worth $10 Dollars says amicus fuddie ..

    On 4 Feb, 18:24, "Mustafa Korn" wrote:
    > "Doug Mentohl" wrote in message

    > > It is curious that Dell + Vista is priced at Dell + Linux + $10 Dollars ..

    > the only "cost" that exists is the cost of the actual software ..

    What 'cost' goes from DELL to MICROS~1 for each copy of VISTA shipped
    with each computer SOLD by DELL?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast