Rivals say Microsoft has not changed its ways

,----[ Quote ]
| Next week's European antitrust ruling against Microsoft Corp is a legacy of
| its past behavior, but competitors say the company's current strategy is a
| sign of history repeating itself.
| [...]
| He highlighted the growing ties between his company and old adversaries such
| as Novell Inc in business software and with Sun Microsystems, which this week
| said it planned to more fully embrace Windows to run its own computers.

Watch how they use Sun and Novell as an excuse. This was expected.

Extension of Microsoft Antitrust Pact Requested

,----[ Quote ]
| Before these parties and Microsoft respond, though, they will have a
| benchmark to guide them: The European Union will announce its Microsoft
| antitrust decision on Monday.

Critics say company isn't documenting interaction methods fast enough

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. will deliver the final installment of hundreds of
| pounds of documentation of its products to U.S. regulators next
| month, a result of seemingly never-ending disputes over the
| company's business practices.
| That load will exceed the roughly 30,000 printed pages, or 130
| pounds of documentation, already prepared by Microsoft for
| European regulators.
| [...]
| Not buying it
| Microsoft's rivals argue the company is doing too little, too late.
| Vinje, of ECIS, said he doesn't believe Microsoft has faced the severe
| challenges the company alleges in documenting its protocols.

A cathedral of formats or a castle of cards?

,----[ Quote ]

,----[ Quote ]
| [Microsoft:] "For example, we should take the lead in establishing a common
| approach to UI and to interoperability (of which OLE is only a part). Our
| efforts to date are focussed too much on our own apps, and only incidental-
| ly on the rest of the industry. We want to own these standards, so we sho-
| uld not participate in standards groups. Rather, we should call 'to me' to
| the industry and set a standard that works now and is for
| everyone's benefit. We are large enough that this can work."

Red Hat sets limits to Microsoft interoperability spiel

,----[ Quote ]