[News] Good Times for a Linux-based PBX - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Good Times for a Linux-based PBX - Linux ; September to Remember for Asterisk ,----[ Quote ] | ...there are some clear signs that Asterisk is pushing beyond the | open source crowd and gaining momentum within small and midsize businesses. | | [...] | | At first glance, ...

  1. [News] Good Times for a Linux-based PBX

    September to Remember for Asterisk

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | ...there are some clear signs that Asterisk is pushing beyond the
    | open source crowd and gaining momentum within small and midsize businesses.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | At first glance, the Asterisk market is dominated by its chief backer —
    | Digium — much in the way that Red Hat leads the corporate Linux market. But
    | take a closer look, and you’ll see a range of hardware, software and service
    | providers building out the Asterisk ecosystem.
    `----

    http://techiqmag.com/2007/09/11/sept...-for-asterisk/

    Related:

    Top 10 Reasons Why I love Asterisk

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In November 2001 I wrote an article for Communications Solutions Magazine
    | (precuror to the #1 VoIP magazine, Internet Telephony Magazine) titled "In
    | Search Of A Linux-Based PBX" . In that article I espoused the benefits of
    | Linux and open source and pondered why there wasn't an open source
    | Linux-based PBX. It was then that I discovered and wrote about Asterisk which
    | virtually no one knew about and which was still up-and-coming. * *
    `----

    http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keat...e-asterisk.asp

    Digium Acquires Key Asterisk Open Source Partner Sokol & Associates

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Digium has long enjoyed a close relationship with Steve Sokol and
    | his colleagues, all of whom have joined Digium’s team. By acquiring
    | the company, Digium gains an additional channel through which it
    | can communicate Asterisk enhancements to the IT, telephony,
    | software development, reseller and call center professionals
    | who use the software every day.
    `----

    http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...39&newsLang=en

    Asterisk opens one company's eyes to open source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | AFS runs the Asterisk phone system on two Linux servers -- one in Rochester
    | and another in Atlanta -- using the Inter-Asterisk Exchange (IAX2) protocol
    | to connect the two via a VPN. If the VPN goes down, the system is designed to
    | immediately begin using the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN). *
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/117262

  2. Re: Good Times for a Linux-based PBX

    On Sep 14, 1:06 am, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:
    > September to Remember for Asterisk
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | ...there are some clear signs that Asterisk is pushing beyond the
    > | open source crowd and gaining momentum within small and midsize businesses.
    > |
    > | [...]
    > |
    > | At first glance, the Asterisk market is dominated by its chief backer -
    > | Digium - much in the way that Red Hat leads the corporate Linux market. But
    > | take a closer look, and you'll see a range of hardware, software and service
    > | providers building out the Asterisk ecosystem.
    > `----
    >
    > http://techiqmag.com/2007/09/11/sept...-for-asterisk/
    >
    > Related:
    >
    > Top 10 Reasons Why I love Asterisk
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | In November 2001 I wrote an article for Communications Solutions Magazine
    > | (precuror to the #1 VoIP magazine, Internet Telephony Magazine) titled "In
    > | Search Of A Linux-Based PBX" . In that article I espoused the benefits of
    > | Linux and open source and pondered why there wasn't an open source
    > | Linux-based PBX. It was then that I discovered and wrote about Asterisk which
    > | virtually no one knew about and which was still up-and-coming.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keat...-reasons-why-i...
    >
    > Digium Acquires Key Asterisk Open Source Partner Sokol & Associates
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Digium has long enjoyed a close relationship with Steve Sokol and
    > | his colleagues, all of whom have joined Digium's team. By acquiring
    > | the company, Digium gains an additional channel through which it
    > | can communicate Asterisk enhancements to the IT, telephony,
    > | software development, reseller and call center professionals
    > | who use the software every day.
    > `----
    >
    > http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...sp?ndmViewId=n...
    >
    > Asterisk opens one company's eyes to open source
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | AFS runs the Asterisk phone system on two Linux servers -- one in Rochester
    > | and another in Atlanta -- using the Inter-Asterisk Exchange (IAX2) protocol
    > | to connect the two via a VPN. If the VPN goes down, the system is designed to
    > | immediately begin using the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN).
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linux.com/feature/117262

    The original business plan of Mark Spencer (the creator of Asterisk)
    was to provide Linux support, and since he couldn't afford a PBX, he
    decided to make one in software. In fact, the toll free phone number
    of his company, Digium, is still 1-800-LINUX-ME

    I have seen many former windopes sysadmins and decision makers who
    wouldn't touch Linux, but have been converted thanks to Asterisk.

    Meanwhile M$ and its brownosers are making lame attempts to produce a
    software PBX.

    -Ramon

  3. Re: Good Times for a Linux-based PBX

    ____/ Ramon F Herrera on Friday 14 September 2007 07:16 : \____

    > On Sep 14, 1:06 am, Roy Schestowitz
    > wrote:
    >> September to Remember for Asterisk
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | ...there are some clear signs that Asterisk is pushing beyond the
    >> | open source crowd and gaining momentum within small and midsize
    >> | businesses.
    >> |
    >> | [...]
    >> |
    >> | At first glance, the Asterisk market is dominated by its chief backer -
    >> | Digium - much in the way that Red Hat leads the corporate Linux market.
    >> | But take a closer look, and you'll see a range of hardware, software and
    >> | service providers building out the Asterisk ecosystem.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://techiqmag.com/2007/09/11/sept...-for-asterisk/
    >>
    >> Related:
    >>
    >> Top 10 Reasons Why I love Asterisk
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | In November 2001 I wrote an article for Communications Solutions Magazine
    >> | (precuror to the #1 VoIP magazine, Internet Telephony Magazine) titled "In
    >> | Search Of A Linux-Based PBX" . In that article I espoused the benefits of
    >> | Linux and open source and pondered why there wasn't an open source
    >> | Linux-based PBX. It was then that I discovered and wrote about Asterisk
    >> | which virtually no one knew about and which was still up-and-coming.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keat...-reasons-why-i...
    >>
    >> Digium Acquires Key Asterisk Open Source Partner Sokol & Associates
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Digium has long enjoyed a close relationship with Steve Sokol and
    >> | his colleagues, all of whom have joined Digium's team. By acquiring
    >> | the company, Digium gains an additional channel through which it
    >> | can communicate Asterisk enhancements to the IT, telephony,
    >> | software development, reseller and call center professionals
    >> | who use the software every day.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...sp?ndmViewId=n...
    >>
    >> Asterisk opens one company's eyes to open source
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | AFS runs the Asterisk phone system on two Linux servers -- one in
    >> | Rochester and another in Atlanta -- using the Inter-Asterisk Exchange
    >> | (IAX2) protocol to connect the two via a VPN. If the VPN goes down, the
    >> | system is designed to immediately begin using the Public Switched
    >> | Telephone Network (PSTN).
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.linux.com/feature/117262

    > The original business plan of Mark Spencer (the creator of Asterisk)
    > was to provide Linux support, and since he couldn't afford a PBX, he
    > decided to make one in software. In fact, the toll free phone number
    > of his company, Digium, is still 1-800-LINUX-ME
    >
    > I have seen many former windopes sysadmins and decision makers who
    > wouldn't touch Linux, but have been converted thanks to Asterisk.
    >
    > Meanwhile M$ and its brownosers are making lame attempts to produce a
    > software PBX.

    The way I read things, in the Windows world, you have many partners and 'boot
    lickers' dancing around the Microsoft Product(R) and hoping to get a buck in
    return. If they manage to create software that becomes profitable on Windows,
    Microsoft will copy that software and bundle.

    So...

    If you wish to cherish a Robbing Baron and hope for some handouts, choose to be
    a Windows developers. As Google, Red Hat, Akamai and many others demonstrate,
    the opportunity and sustainability is in more decentralised software. Nobody
    can steal your lunch using distribution advantages. You aren't at someone
    else's mercy.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "I think I think, therefore I think I am"
    Mem: 515500k total, 445168k used, 70332k free, 1812k buffers

  4. Re: Good Times for a Linux-based PBX

    On Sep 14, 6:30 pm, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:
    > ____/ Ramon F Herrera on Friday 14 September 2007 07:16 : \____
    >

    > > On Sep 14, 1:06 am, Roy Schestowitz
    > > wrote:
    > >> September to Remember for Asterisk

    > >> ,----[ Quote ]

    > >> `----

    > >>http://techiqmag.com/2007/09/11/sept...-for-asterisk/

    > >> Related:

    > >> Top 10 Reasons Why I love Asterisk

    > >> ,----[ Quote ]
    > >> `----

    > >>http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keat...-reasons-why-i...

    > >> Digium Acquires Key Asterisk Open Source Partner Sokol & Associates

    > >> ,----[ Quote ]
    > >> `----

    > >>http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...sp?ndmViewId=n...

    > >> Asterisk opens one company's eyes to open source

    > >> ,----[ Quote ]
    > >> `----

    > >>http://www.linux.com/feature/117262

    > > The original business plan of Mark Spencer (the creator of Asterisk)
    > > was to provide Linux support, and since he couldn't afford a PBX, he
    > > decided to make one in software. In fact, the toll free phone number
    > > of his company, Digium, is still 1-800-LINUX-ME

    > > I have seen many former windopes sysadmins and decision makers who
    > > wouldn't touch Linux, but have been converted thanks to Asterisk.

    > > Meanwhile M$ and its brownosers are making lame attempts to produce a
    > > software PBX.

    > The way I read things, in the Windows world, you have many partners and 'boot
    > lickers' dancing around the Microsoft Product(R) and hoping to get a buck in
    > return. If they manage to create software that becomes profitable on Windows,
    > Microsoft will copy that software and bundle.

    It's even worse, Roy. When a hopeful developer has a good idea/
    product, Microsoft will say: "Oh, yeah, we are working on it, the next
    version of {Windows, Office, MS SQL} will come with it".

    The following morning the developer -hopeful no longer- is behind SCO
    in the Chapter 11 waiting line.

    -Ramon

+ Reply to Thread