All Eyes on Virtualization at VMware's Big Shindig

,----[ Quote ]
| VMware kicked off this week's conference by announcing deals to embed its
| latest hypervisor on the servers commonly deployed in data centers.

VMware dangles next-gen virtualization goodies

,----[ Quote ]
| In the demonstration, the VMware instant-on technology fetches the most
| important virtual-appliance data first, so it can begin its virtual-boot
| process while more data streams in. It took about 2 minutes to boot a 410MB
| virtual appliance, a version of Ubuntu Linux tailored for Web browsing, into
| a usable state.

Cisco launches VMware-enabled datacentre provisioning system

,----[ Quote ]
| That integration is to provide the same kind of boot capabilities across the
| network as we've already been shipping for Windows and Linux. so the benefit
| is that the customer could build a utility farm of servers that they choose
| from when they want to boot a Linux server or a Windows server, or an ESX
| server.

Sun christens its Xen-based virtualization xVM

,----[ Quote ]
| Xen governs how virtual machines get access to hardware resources, typically
| relying on Linux for technology used to actually communicate with that
| hardware. xVM, though, is a variation that uses Sun's Solaris operating
| system instead. Hamilton boasted on his blog last week that Sun's variant
| shows some performance improvements over Linux-based Xen.

Parallels making virtualization jump to servers

,----[ Quote ]
| Parallels today has sold more than 650,000 copies of its $79 software to run
| Windows software on Macs, he said. The company also sells a Workstation
| product that runs on Windows and Linux, but it's only sold tens of thousands
| of copies. However, the company plans to "overhaul" the Workstation product
| in the next couple months, Rudolph said.

A look at VMware Fusion

,----[ Quote ]
| If you're a Linux user who's just been issued an Apple computer, you might
| want to look into a virtualization solution for Mac OS X. VMware's Fusion,
| which was officially released from beta at the beginning of the month, works
| well for running Linux (or other x86/AMD64 OSes) on the Mac desktop, and
| provides a great solution for multi-OS users who need simultaneous access to
| all their operating systems on the same machine. * *

Dell Creating Consumer PCs Complete with Virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| And in a similar fashion to what Parallels and VMware Fusion did for the
| Intel-based Mac community, this could give the Linux operating system a boost
| from consumers who want to use the open source software but don't want to
| lose out on what Microsoft's Windows platforms offer. *

Dell to stuff hypervisors in flash memory

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell CTO Kevin Kettler today confirmed these plans during a speech here at
| LinuxWorld, saying the company expects to see major performance and
| power-saving improvements by dumping a hypervisor in flash. Customers will
| basically "boot to a virtual machine-ready" state, he said. *

Will VMware's sales double forever?

,----[ Quote ]
| With Vista and Longhorn Server consuming Microsoft's top talent, the company
| thought it could wait until 2008 to really ramp the virtualization work. Big
| mistake. *
| VMware now owns a massive market share lead in the server virtualization
| space, has built out the broadest available set of management packages and
| can use its IPO funds to buy talent and technology. *

Microsoft cuts Windows virtualization features

,----[ Quote ]
| The company is changing three key features of the hypervisor
| technology to try to stick to its schedule of releasing the
| technology within 180 days of completing its Windows Server
| "Longhorn" operating system, due to be finalized before the
| end of the year.

A Software Maker Goes Up Against Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| When quizzed on Microsoft's plans, Mr. Ballmer replied, "Our view is
| that virtualization is something that should be built into the
| operating system."

Virtual PC and the Value of Free

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday's release of Virtual PC 2007 continues a longstanding
| Microsoft trend: Give away free something valuable to gain market
| share against a dominant competitor.
| [...]
| Lower cost is a good tactic, but Microsoft has done much better with
| free--and really valuable technology. Probably the best-known example
| is Internet Explorer, which Microsoft integrated into Windows
| during the browser wars with Netscape. While Netscape had to
| separately sell its product, Microsoft could give away its
| competing software for free. Microsoft regarded its Web browser
| as adding value to Windows, so it gave away the technology as
| a way of enhancing the appeal of the operating system and
| subsequently sales. On the server, Microsoft took on Netscape
| software by giving away for free FrontPage (for creating Web
| sites) and Internet Information Server (for hosting Websites).
| Windows Media Player is another example. Microsoft invested
| $500 million developing Windows Media Player 9 Series, which
| the company gave away for free with Windows XP. Other
| companies, such as RealNetworks, charged for their digital
| media products. Microsoft's bundled the software, for free,
| as way of enhancing Windows' appeal. Like Netscape and other
| developers, Real had to give away--and open-source--its core
| digital media technology in response to Microsoft's free software.

Ubuntu on Virtual PC 2007 - No way dude!

,----[ Quote ]
| A number of people have asked me whether it's possible to install
| Linux onto a Virtual PC 2007 virtual machine. *Well, since I had
| an Ubuntu ISO on my desktop I decided to give it a go.
| The short answer is no. *It won't. *I thought that it might but
| my optimism was short-lived. *The graphics are all messed up.

Microsoft slashes Windows XP price to fend off Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has slashed prices on Windows XP and Office to join the
| Thai government's "people's PC" project, a move which could help
| curb the spread of the rival Linux operating system in the country.

Gates Deposition Audio and Video

,----[ Quote ]