Exploit targets Microsoft's latest Windows patch

,----[ Quote ]
| If you needed further proof that you should always patch Microsoft Windows
| when Microsoft tells you to do so, there's an exploit that will target
| Windows XP and Windows Vista systems lacking Microsoft's first patch of 2008.

No need to panic. Just upgrade from XP/Vista to GNU/Linux and you'll be safe.
Failing to do so may result in your computer joining 100-150 million other
Windows zombie PCs.

2008 kicks off with critical Vista/XP patch

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's first set of security bulletins for 2008 may be slim, but will
| include a fix for a critical vulnerability in XP and Vista.

Windows Vista Has Another New Critical Vulnerability

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the updates is considered critical for Windows Vista and XP users
| because the flaw it fixes could be used by attackers to install unauthorized
| software on a victim's computer. Â*

Critical Vulnerability in Microsoft Metrics

,----[ Quote ]
| This is a small subset of all the vulnerabilities, because the
| vulnerabilities that are found through the QA process and the vulnerabilities
| that are found by the security folks they engage as contractors to perform
| penetration testing are fixed in service packs and major updates. For
| Microsoft this makes sense because these fixes get the benefit of a full test
| pass which is much more robust for a service pack or major release than it is
| for a security update. Â* Â* Â*

Skeletons in Microsoft’s Patch Day closet

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the first time I’ve seen Microsoft prominently admit to silently
| fixing vulnerabilities in its bulletins — a controversial practice that
| effectively reduces the number of publicly documented bug fixes (for those
| keeping count) and affects patch management/deployment decisions. Â*

Beware of undisclosed Microsoft patches

,----[ Quote ]
| Forget for a moment whether Microsoft is throwing off patch counts
| that Microsoft brass use to compare its security record with those
| of its competitors. What do you think of Redmond’s silent patching
| practice?

Microsoft is Counting Bugs Again

,----[ Quote ]
| Sorry, but Microsoft's self-evaluating security counting isn't really a
| good accounting.
| [...]
| The point: Don't count on security flaw counting. The real flaw is
| the counting.

Microsoft fixes 11 flaws in 7 patches; 5 affect Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft on Tuesday released its December 2007 security bulletin, which
| includes seven updates: three are designated as critical by the software
| giant and four are deemed important. Â*

December 2007's Patch Tuesday's Going to Be Big - Really Big

,----[ Quote ]
| A Trio of Critical Patches
| First up is a remote code execution patch for DirectX versions 7.0 (Windows
| 2000) through 10.0 (Windows Vista). Â*

Security hole in MS-Windows Vista on Thanksgiving

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, although late, but did acknowledge that it is a flaw even in the
| latest OS (Vista) which should have been fixed long back.

Thirty-Six Updates Later—and Counting

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the Thanksgiving holiday, I refreshed one of my Windows Vista test
| machines. Oh my, there were so many Windows Updates.

Vista security threats to rise in 2008: McAfee

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft’s Windows Vista operating system will face increasing security
| threats, according to McAfee Avert Labs predictions for top 10 security
| threats in 2008. Â*

Microsoft issues 6 'critical' patches

,----[ Quote ]
| The updates affect many versions of Windows, Server and Office software --
| including Windows XP and Windows Vista -- and are meant to prevent hackers
| from breaking into Web surfers' computers using specially crafted Web pages. Â*

Buffer the Overflow Slayer v. the ActiveX Files

,----[ Quote ]
| The vulnerability was discovered by Krystian Kloskowski and is rated "highly
| critical" in this posting on Secunia. It's also discussed here on the US-Cert
| website. Proof-of-concept code can be found on MilW0rm here. Â*

Microsoft plans six critical patches

| At least one of the critical vulnerabilities involves Internet Explorer 7 and
| Windows Vista, both of which were conceived under new and highly vaunted
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| development rigors designed to produce more secure products. Â*

Patch Tuesday: Critical IE, Vista patches on deck

,----[ Quote ]
| Of the four criticals, two will include high-severity patches for
| Windows Vista. The bulletin rated ?moderate? only affects Vista.

June Patch Tuesday to deliver Vista fixes and more

,----[ Quote ]
| Four of this month's bulletins are labelled 'critical' and
| relate to vulnerabilities that may allow remote code execution.

Microsoft Plugs Critical Vista Hole

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has just patched another critical hole in Vista that it
| knew about as long ago as last Christmas. The delay was similar
| to its lag in patching the serious (and heavily targeted)
| animated-cursor flaw I told you about last month.

Microsoft Patches Not One, But Three Vista Holes

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft today released an update for the recently popular 'animated
| cursor' vulnerability. The update was originally scheduled for April
| 10th, but due to recent exploits, was rushed out today. The update
| wasn't just for this one vulnerability though, in Vista, it addressed two
| others, and in all covered seven vulnerabilities in Vista, XP and
| 2000.

Windows Vista's Built-in Rootkit

,----[ Quote ]
| This poor implementation of the permissions structure can be exploited
| by malware to make files that are undetectable to Anti-Virus products.

More Windows cursor patch trouble

| A new issue with the fix has also come up. Some customers have
| experienced trouble when printing from SQL Reporting Services to
| a Printer Command Language (PCL) printer, Microsoft said.

Windows cursor patch causing trouble

,----[ Quote ]
| Installing Microsoft's Tuesday patch for a "critical" Windows
| vulnerability is causing trouble for some users.

MS Patch Tuesday: Vista dinged again

,----[ Quote ]
| For the second time this month, Microsoft has shipped a security
| bulletin with patches for a "critical" Vista vulnerability that
| puts millions of users at risk of code execution attacks.

Security Researchers Say Windows .ANI Problem Surfaced Two Years Ago

,----[ Quote ]
| Security researchers say the Windows .ANI bug that has been plaguing
| users for the past week first surfaced -- and was patched --
| in early 2005.

Week in review: Cursing Windows' cursor flaw

,----[ Quote ]
| The software giant broke with its monthly patch cycle to fix a bug
| that cybercrooks had been using since last week to attack Windows
| PCs, including those running Vista.

ANI takers for Asus website virus?

,----[ Quote ]
| Asus.com.tw, the website of Taiwanese motherboard maker Asustek,
| has been spraying visitors with the .ANI virus, security software
| makers confirmed today.

Cursor hackers target WoW players

,----[ Quote ]
| World of Warcraft players are being targeted by hackers exploiting
| flaws in how Windows handles animated cursors.

Will Next Tuesday's 3 Updates Effect Vista?

,----[ Quote ]
| I would suspect that one will be a patch for the Windows MessageBox
| exploit, so Vista should get it. Might another be for the Vista
| 'Timer/2099 Crack'? I wouldn't consider it critical, but
| Microsoft probably does.

Windows Vista now has its first exploit spotted in the public

,----[ Quote ]
| Security experts have confirmed that a proof of concept code for an
| unpatched vulnerability in Windows Vista has been released on
| the internet.

Windows Vista: It's More Secure, We Promise

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, allow me to take a moment to remind everyone of something that
| you might not remember - XP was also touted as being ultra secure.
| Seriously, can anyone honestly look themselves in the mirror and say
| this is the gospel truth? You have got to be kidding me. Similar to
| XP, Microsoft promises to have the most secure Windows version to date
| yet again.

Cisco exec: Windows Vista is scary

,----[ Quote ]
| "Parts of Vista scare me," Gleichauf said at the Gartner Security Summit
| here on Monday. "Anything with that level of systems complexity will have
| new threats, as well as bringing new solutions. It's always a struggle
| in security, trying to build for what you don't know."

Symantec Finds Flaws In Vista's Network Stack

,----[ Quote ]