OT: Firefox Bloat? - Linux

This is a discussion on OT: Firefox Bloat? - Linux ; http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox3/Pro...ments_Document With all of the "enhancements" in Firefox 3, Firefox is starting to look more like other bloated browsers. What's so wrong with keeping it simple and allowing these features to be added on at will? Firefox has made great ...

  1. OT: Firefox Bloat?

    http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox3/Pro...ments_Document

    With all of the "enhancements" in Firefox 3, Firefox is starting to look
    more like other bloated browsers.

    What's so wrong with keeping it simple and allowing these features to be
    added on at will?

    Firefox has made great strides on the desktop. It is my browser of choice.
    But, if it becomes bloated and more complex, look for market share to be
    diluted.

    jim

  2. Re: OT: Firefox Bloat?

    "jim" writes:

    > http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox3/Pro...ments_Document
    >
    > With all of the "enhancements" in Firefox 3, Firefox is starting to look
    > more like other bloated browsers.
    >
    > What's so wrong with keeping it simple and allowing these features to be
    > added on at will?
    >
    > Firefox has made great strides on the desktop. It is my browser of choice.
    > But, if it becomes bloated and more complex, look for market share to be
    > diluted.
    >
    > jim

    The problem is simply that a lot of users will never figure out how to
    install an add on - despite it being so simple. So they feel the need to
    add them on as default in order for the first use to be a pleasant one.

    What they should do is enable a "profile" menu at install where the
    selected profile adds a certain suite of add ons at install time. e.g
    web developer.

    --
    The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the
    stupidity of your action.

  3. Re: OT: Firefox Bloat?

    "Hadron" wrote in message
    > "jim" writes:
    >
    >> http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox3/Pro...ments_Document
    >>
    >> With all of the "enhancements" in Firefox 3, Firefox is starting to look
    >> more like other bloated browsers.
    >>
    >> What's so wrong with keeping it simple and allowing these features to be
    >> added on at will?
    >>
    >> Firefox has made great strides on the desktop. It is my browser of
    >> choice.
    >> But, if it becomes bloated and more complex, look for market share to be
    >> diluted.
    >>
    >> jim
    >>

    > The problem is simply that a lot of users will never figure out how to
    > install an add on - despite it being so simple. So they feel the need to
    > add them on as default in order for the first use to be a pleasant one.
    >
    > What they should do is enable a "profile" menu at install where the
    > selected profile adds a certain suite of add ons at install time. e.g
    > web developer.

    A good idea to be sure. The main thing is simplicity. People love simple.

    jim

  4. Re: OT: Firefox Bloat?

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 08:52:05 -0400, jim wrote:

    > "Hadron" wrote in message
    >> "jim" writes:
    >>
    >>> http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox3/Pro...ments_Document
    >>>
    >>> With all of the "enhancements" in Firefox 3, Firefox is starting to look
    >>> more like other bloated browsers.
    >>>
    >>> What's so wrong with keeping it simple and allowing these features to be
    >>> added on at will?
    >>>
    >>> Firefox has made great strides on the desktop. It is my browser of
    >>> choice.
    >>> But, if it becomes bloated and more complex, look for market share to be
    >>> diluted.
    >>>
    >>> jim
    >>>

    >> The problem is simply that a lot of users will never figure out how to
    >> install an add on - despite it being so simple. So they feel the need to
    >> add them on as default in order for the first use to be a pleasant one.
    >>
    >> What they should do is enable a "profile" menu at install where the
    >> selected profile adds a certain suite of add ons at install time. e.g
    >> web developer.

    > A good idea to be sure. The main thing is simplicity. People love
    > simple.

    Then why don't we love DFS?

  5. Re: OT: Firefox Bloat?

    "Kelsey Bjarnason" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 08:52:05 -0400, jim wrote:
    >
    >> "Hadron" wrote in message

    >>> The problem is simply that a lot of users will never figure out how to
    >>> install an add on - despite it being so simple. So they feel the need to
    >>> add them on as default in order for the first use to be a pleasant one.
    >>>
    >>> What they should do is enable a "profile" menu at install where the
    >>> selected profile adds a certain suite of add ons at install time. e.g
    >>> web developer.

    >> A good idea to be sure. The main thing is simplicity. People love
    >> simple.

    > Then why don't we love DFS?

    What is DFS?

  6. Re: OT: Firefox Bloat?

    jim wrote:

    > What is DFS?

    A retarded troll that often ****s in this newsgroup.

  7. Re: OT: Firefox Bloat?

    jim wrote:

    >What is DFS?

    A POS.

  8. Re: OT: Firefox Bloat?

    On 14 Sep, 04:25, "jim" wrote:
    > http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox3/Pro...ments_Document
    >
    > With all of the "enhancements" in Firefox 3, Firefox is starting to look
    > more like other bloated browsers.
    >
    > What's so wrong with keeping it simple and allowing these features to be
    > added on at will?
    >
    > Firefox has made great strides on the desktop. It is my browser of choice.
    > But, if it becomes bloated and more complex, look for market share to be
    > diluted.

    I fear you may be right here. I love Firefox - it's magnitudes better
    than the other browsers I've suffered (Opera and ME) - but the fact
    I've alwatys been able to add on just the bits I want has kept it lean
    n mean.

    I thought /everyone/ knew bloatware was not the way to go any more.

+ Reply to Thread