Re: [News] ASUS to Make $500 GNU/Linux Desktop (Most Likely) - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] ASUS to Make $500 GNU/Linux Desktop (Most Likely) - Linux ; "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message news:4599904.FgRixvES3p@schestowitz.com... > ASUS preps $500 'iMac killer' Eee PC desktop > > ,----[ Quote ] > | The computer builder also says it will build a headless desktop, the > E-DT, > | which will ...

  1. Re: [News] ASUS to Make $500 GNU/Linux Desktop (Most Likely)

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > ASUS preps $500 'iMac killer' Eee PC desktop
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The computer builder also says it will build a headless desktop, the
    > E-DT,
    > | which will at first use a Celeron but then switch to the Shelton
    > platform.
    > | Most details are unavailable, though the price should range between $200
    > and
    > | $300 and is being pushed towards the $200 mark. A third system known as
    > the
    > | E-TV will combine a basic Eee PC platform with a 42-inch LCD TV and
    > should
    > | cost about $200 more than a comparable TV that ships without such
    > features.
    > `----

    Whoaaa, this is what I've been dreaming about: a TV with built-in Wifi and
    Linux as an operating system and wireless keyboard/touchpad so people can
    Internet on their TV!! Great to see that it's actually being built!

  2. Re: [News] ASUS to Make $500 GNU/Linux Desktop (Most Likely)

    Jim Relsh espoused:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >> ASUS preps $500 'iMac killer' Eee PC desktop
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | The computer builder also says it will build a headless desktop, the
    >> E-DT,
    >> | which will at first use a Celeron but then switch to the Shelton
    >> platform.
    >> | Most details are unavailable, though the price should range between $200
    >> and
    >> | $300 and is being pushed towards the $200 mark. A third system known as
    >> the
    >> | E-TV will combine a basic Eee PC platform with a 42-inch LCD TV and
    >> should
    >> | cost about $200 more than a comparable TV that ships without such
    >> features.
    >> `----
    >>

    > Whoaaa, this is what I've been dreaming about: a TV with built-in Wifi and
    > Linux as an operating system and wireless keyboard/touchpad so people can
    > Internet on their TV!! Great to see that it's actually being built!

    It had to happen! I suspect that Asus are going to be an industry giant
    before too long, not that they're small now, of course.

    I agree with you, though, this merging of technologies was pretty much
    inevitable. The big issue we have now is that the corporate world is
    geared up entirely around these information sources being separate, but
    when they all appear on the same terminating device, they're far from
    separate.