[News] Op-ed: GNU/Linux Installation Mechanism the Best Feature - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Op-ed: GNU/Linux Installation Mechanism the Best Feature - Linux ; Put your program in, Pull your program out. That's what it's all about. ,----[ Quote ] | If somebody were to ask me which feature of Linux I liked the most I would | have to say without a doubt ...

  1. [News] Op-ed: GNU/Linux Installation Mechanism the Best Feature

    Put your program in, Pull your program out. That's what it's all about.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If somebody were to ask me which feature of Linux I liked the most I would
    | have to say without a doubt the packaging systems that are available for it.
    | The packaging systems for the biggest, baddest and best distributions would
    | have to be the biggest, baddest and best difference between Linux and
    | proprietary systems.
    `----

    http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/loc...ll-about-22090

    Weirdly enough, that's also the most common form of FUD. It's a myth.

    Mind this very new Plasma proposal for KDE:

    A [KDE] Menu Proposal

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This mockup is meant to be a concept for a menu system which would combine
    | the ideas behind the efficient KDE 3.x K Menu and the multi-functional
    | Kickoff while providing visual integration with Plasma.
    `----

    http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...d&tan=99041762

    Related:

    SYS-Linux, aka why you should leave distro-making to the pros

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In the DistroWatch Weekly comments for this issue, I came across a
    | distribution called "SYS-Linux", which is currently in pre-alpha state. It
    | was an attempt to create an easy-to-use, complete distribution which assumed
    | the user didn't know anything about computing. Its main claim to fame is
    | apparently that it can be installed without a wizard- the user doesn't have
    | to answer any questions. Wow! So the user doesn't have to set up the disks so
    | that they don't lose any data, doesn't have to set up a user account for
    | themselves so that the system isn't completely screwed if it's hacked, and
    | doesn't even have to set up the boot loader (whatever it may happen to be)?
    | Wow... A newbie's dream come true! * * * *
    `----

    http://distrogue.blogspot.com/2008/0...uld-leave.html

    Installing Ubuntu, a world without Windows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The "Welcome" page will start. I chose English and then I clicked the forward
    | button. On the Time Zone page, you click a city on the map. I clicked St
    | John's, the city listed for the Newfoundland Time Zone. Click forward again.
    | I picked US English keyboard and clicked forward for the third time. *
    |
    | Now, the partition wizard starts up. Choose one of the guided installs. You
    | will usually have more than one choice here and they depend on your
    | particular machine. You may be able to resize your existing partition to only
    | use the available space on it, or you can choose to use the full hard drive
    | for Ubuntu. * *
    `----

    http://www.gulfnews.ca/index.cfm?sid=100109&sc=343

    Ubuntu 1, Windows 0

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I installed Ubuntu on the Toshiba laptop. Ubuntu installed in 15 minutes - 49
    | for Windows XP and 125 for Windows Vista. Ubuntu's desktop came right up. I
    | opened the pre-installed Firefox browser and found I could browse the Web
    | immediately. Ubuntu installed a network adaptor for the Toshiba laptop. *
    |
    | I shake my head at this Windows foolishness!
    `----

    http://linux.sys-con.com/read/458943_p.htm

    The day of the Linux desktop

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The idea here is that this is something almost anyone can do, almost anywhere
    | in the world, without any central organization or, indeed, any organization
    | at all. This is not Linux World or Linux Continent or Linux Country or Linux
    | State or even Linux City or Linux Village. And it's not a year, a month, or
    | even a week. It's just one day. * *
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/120727

    Installing A New Printer. Windows vs. Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Windows - 40 Minutes
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Linux - 2 Minutes
    |
    | While I was waiting for the first round of software to install on Windows, I
    | turned to my laptop running Ubuntu to see if I could get it setup to print as
    | well. I launched the printing configuration tool. Clicked on "New Printer".
    | Typed in the IP address I had assigned to the printer and selected the model
    | number. * *
    `----

    http://www.thesourceshow.org/node/69

    How To Install Gutsy Gibbon - A 21 Step Guide For Technical Support

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | 1. “First, insert the Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 CD into your cup holder.”
    |
    | 2. “Press the power button on your computer, and hold it until it shuts off.”
    |
    | 3. “Good. Now press the power button again.”
    |
    | 4. “We’re going to see some white on black text fly by, please don’t read it
    | * * to me.”
    |
    | 5. “Let me know when you’ve got a screen that says Ubuntu in brown and
    | * * orange.”
    |
    | 6. “Ok, press the ‘Enter’ key.”
    `----

    http://www.fsckin.com/2007/09/28/how...nical-support/

    Vista Ultimate vs. Ubuntu 7.04 - Which Install Is Easier?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So less than 3 hours into this experiment, I have both Vista and Ubuntu
    | installed and patched. Both systems are stable, more or less, but both
    | systems have quirks. Neither system worked perfectly, but much to my surprise
    | the Ubuntu system worked better, (once I got the keyboard working). More
    | hardware worked without needing to download additional drivers. More over,
    | there is moreover, the desktop that I do have is more functional -
    | applications like GIMP, Open Office, and a slew of multi-media apps are far
    | more useful than Wordpad, Paint and the slew of crap that Vista comes with. * * *
    `----

    http://scitech.teambio.org/2007/08/1...all-is-easier/

    Linux is not only better than windows, it is also easier to install and
    maintain

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This post inspired me to write this comparison, side by side, specially
    | where it says, that windows users says that "Linux is hard to install", so I
    | wanted to test it.
    `----

    http://www.go2linux.org/why-linux-is...r-than-windows

    Linux is Easier to Install than Windows!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A brief, but honest description of why Linux is better than Windows!
    `----

    http://www.utopiatheory.com/index.php?id=11

    [Installing Linux from Windows] Wubi Review

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In conclusion, this tool is certainly one of the easiest ways of letting
    | people try Ubuntu without removing Windows or having to partition their hard
    | drive for a dual-boot. *I have enjoyed this tool, and although it is still in
    | beta, it works very well and is very stable. *So, if you are running a
    | computer with Windows and want to give Ubuntu a try, then this is the
    | solution for you. * *
    `----

    http://jon-reagan.blogspot.com/2007/07/wubi-review.html

  2. Re: [News] Op-ed: GNU/Linux Installation Mechanism the Best Feature

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Put your program in, Pull your program out. That's what it's all about.
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| If somebody were to ask me which feature of Linux I liked the most I would
    >| have to say without a doubt the packaging systems that are available for it.
    >| The packaging systems for the biggest, baddest and best distributions would
    >| have to be the biggest, baddest and best difference between Linux and
    >| proprietary systems.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/loc...ll-about-22090
    >
    > Weirdly enough, that's also the most common form of FUD. It's a myth.

    It's a traditional marketing/sales approach, take the opposition's
    greatest strength, that being fantastic package management, and make it
    a weakness. Everything after that is therefore easier.