[News] Windows Vista's Failures Drive User to Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Windows Vista's Failures Drive User to Linux - Linux ; 3 moments in Vista that make me consider Linux ,----[ Gist ] | 1. Explorer crashing over and over and over and over and over again | | 2. Included software being criminally rubbish | | 3. The DRM is ...

  1. [News] Windows Vista's Failures Drive User to Linux

    3 moments in Vista that make me consider Linux

    ,----[ Gist ]
    | 1. Explorer crashing over and over and over and over and over again
    |
    | 2. Included software being criminally rubbish
    |
    | 3. The DRM is getting me down.
    `----

    http://www.thepcspy.com/blog/3_momen...consider_linux

  2. Re: [News] Windows Vista's Failures Drive User to Linux

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 23:40:57 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > 3 moments in Vista that make me consider Linux
    >
    > ,----[ Gist ]
    > | 1. Explorer crashing over and over and over and over and over again
    > |
    > | 2. Included software being criminally rubbish
    > |
    > | 3. The DRM is getting me down.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.thepcspy.com/blog/3_momen...consider_linux

    We're installing kubuntu 7.04 on our brand new laptops at the office with
    a backup installation of XP. The laptops came with Vista, but we didn't
    like it.

  3. Re: [News] Windows Vista's Failures Drive User to Linux

    ____/ alt on Friday 14 September 2007 05:04 : \____

    > On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 23:40:57 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> 3 moments in Vista that make me consider Linux
    >>
    >> ,----[ Gist ]
    >> | 1. Explorer crashing over and over and over and over and over again
    >> |
    >> | 2. Included software being criminally rubbish
    >> |
    >> | 3. The DRM is getting me down.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.thepcspy.com/blog/3_momen...consider_linux

    > We're installing kubuntu 7.04 on our brand new laptops at the office with
    > a backup installation of XP. The laptops came with Vista, but we didn't
    > like it.

    Lenovo restored XP options not so long ago. In fact, the Olympic Games
    organisers have bought enough laptops early on to ensure that they needn't
    tolerate Vista next year. It's like buying food before wartime. Vista is
    war. :-)

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    In a perfect world, all high-velocity impacts make fine orange juice
    05:05:04 up 4 days, 3:11, 3 users, load average: 2.58, 3.06, 2.98

  4. Re: [News] Windows Vista's Failures Drive User to Linux

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Vista is war.

    I would have thought more of a pestilence, followed by blue screen of death.
    That would make people who opt for Vista, bug chasers.
    --
    Stephen Fairchild

  5. Re: [News] Windows Vista's Failures Drive User to Linux

    alt wrote:

    > On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 23:40:57 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    > > 3 moments in Vista that make me consider Linux
    > >
    > > ,----[ Gist ]
    > > | 1. Explorer crashing over and over and over and over and over
    > > again |
    > > | 2. Included software being criminally rubbish
    > > |
    > > | 3. The DRM is getting me down.
    > > `----
    > >
    > > http://www.thepcspy.com/blog/3_momen...consider_linux

    > We're installing kubuntu 7.04 on our brand new laptops at the office
    > with a backup installation of XP. The laptops came with Vista, but we
    > didn't like it.

    I just installed 14 copies of Ubuntu 7.04 on a new "fleet" of laptops
    bought by a law firm after Vista proved to be unusable. Down time and
    constant futzing around just doesn't cut it at the negotiation table I
    guess.

    They originally wanted to back down to XP, but being a straight laced
    business licensing prevented it (the heart of their business is
    property law with an emphasis on intellectual property). Their options
    were to send the units back and order new ones with XP, paying a hefty
    restocking fee and risking compromise of some of their data, or fix
    things themselves.

    Fortunately for them they have an outside tech with brains.

    I migrated all 14 machines to Ubuntu over a weekend, preserving what
    little data they actually had time to collect on them in the week
    and a half it took for them to realize Vista was crap. They couldn't be
    more pleased. The whole firm from partners to reception is wondering
    why they hadn't switched everything over before. In the next two
    weekends I'll be switching their file and mail servers over to LTS
    (they were due for an upgrade anyway), and we're making plans to
    migrate all 37 company desktop units in two physical locations.

    And as an added bonus they boxed up all 14 copies of Vista and sent
    them off to Toshiba America for a refund.

+ Reply to Thread