Re: [News] [SOT] Big Media's DRM and Litigation Strategy Ending - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] [SOT] Big Media's DRM and Litigation Strategy Ending - Linux ; Roy Schestowitz wrote: > Amazon to Begin International Rollout of Amazon MP3 in 2008 > > ,----[ Quote ] > | "We have received thousands of e-mails from Amazon customers around the > | world asking us when we will ...

  1. Re: [News] [SOT] Big Media's DRM and Litigation Strategy Ending

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Amazon to Begin International Rollout of Amazon MP3 in 2008
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | "We have received thousands of e-mails from Amazon customers around the
    > | world asking us when we will make Amazon MP3 available outside of the
    > | U.S. They can't wait to choose from the biggest selection of
    > | high-quality, low-priced DRM-free MP3 music downloads which play on
    > | virtually any music device they own today or will own in the future,"
    > | said Bill Carr, Amazon.com Vice President of Digital Music. "We are
    > | excited to tell those customers today that Amazon MP3 is going
    > | international this year."
    > `----

    http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....346&highlight=

    Speaking of DRM... Here in America, we're seeing new models being sold with
    voice recognition via a microsoft interface. Yep... built right into the
    car... It accepts voice commands to let you dial a cell phone hands-free..
    woopy... It also lets you control a music collection via voice commands...
    and it just struck me... is the colletion in this unit under DRM
    management? I mean, imaging buying a new car, probably going for one of
    those 4 or 5 year loans (yes, we have them) and finding out the first time
    you try to upload music to your car that... you can't! The built-in DRM
    says your collection is illegal...

    I wonder... This may be interesting...

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  2. Re: [News] [SOT] Big Media's DRM and Litigation Strategy Ending

    On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 07:45:27 -0500, Jerry McBride wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Amazon to Begin International Rollout of Amazon MP3 in 2008
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| "We have received thousands of e-mails from Amazon customers around the
    >>| world asking us when we will make Amazon MP3 available outside of the
    >>| U.S. They can't wait to choose from the biggest selection of
    >>| high-quality, low-priced DRM-free MP3 music downloads which play on
    >>| virtually any music device they own today or will own in the future,"
    >>| said Bill Carr, Amazon.com Vice President of Digital Music. "We are
    >>| excited to tell those customers today that Amazon MP3 is going
    >>| international this year."
    >> `----
    >>

    > http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....346&highlight=
    >>

    > Speaking of DRM... Here in America, we're seeing new models being sold with
    > voice recognition via a microsoft interface. Yep... built right into the
    > car... It accepts voice commands to let you dial a cell phone hands-free..
    > woopy... It also lets you control a music collection via voice commands...
    > and it just struck me... is the colletion in this unit under DRM
    > management? I mean, imaging buying a new car, probably going for one of
    > those 4 or 5 year loans (yes, we have them) and finding out the first time
    > you try to upload music to your car that... you can't! The built-in DRM
    > says your collection is illegal...
    >
    > I wonder... This may be interesting...

    I had one in a rented Ford Fusion I drove last week.
    It works very well and integrated perfectly with my friend's iPod and my
    Blackberry.
    Another missed opportunity for Linux.

    Hey maybe you guys can convince Daimler Chrysler to bolt one of those
    hacked together MythTV units in the trunk?

    hahaha!

  3. Re: [News] [SOT] Big Media's DRM and Litigation Strategy Ending

    "Jerry McBride" wrote in message
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Amazon to Begin International Rollout of Amazon MP3 in 2008
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | "We have received thousands of e-mails from Amazon customers around the
    >> | world asking us when we will make Amazon MP3 available outside of the
    >> | U.S. They can't wait to choose from the biggest selection of
    >> | high-quality, low-priced DRM-free MP3 music downloads which play on
    >> | virtually any music device they own today or will own in the future,"
    >> | said Bill Carr, Amazon.com Vice President of Digital Music. "We are
    >> | excited to tell those customers today that Amazon MP3 is going
    >> | international this year."
    >> `----
    >>

    > http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....346&highlight=
    >>

    > Speaking of DRM... Here in America, we're seeing new models being sold
    > with
    > voice recognition via a microsoft interface. Yep... built right into the
    > car... It accepts voice commands to let you dial a cell phone hands-free..
    > woopy... It also lets you control a music collection via voice commands...
    > and it just struck me... is the colletion in this unit under DRM
    > management?

    Yet another clueless post from Jerry. Microsoft Sync is *NOT* a music
    collection. It gives you access to your music collection on whatever device
    you store it on. If the device being controlled has DRM then yes, the music
    will be DRM. If the device does NOT have DRM then there will be no DRM
    involvement. Microsoft Sync works with a few dozen different devices.

    > I mean, imaging buying a new car, probably going for one of
    > those 4 or 5 year loans (yes, we have them) and finding out the first time
    > you try to upload music to your car that... you can't! The built-in DRM
    > says your collection is illegal...

    Imagine you making a post for once where you actually have a clue what
    you're talking about. Tell me again how Microsoft will "go under" because
    they are only making a profit of $13 BILLION dollars each year.

    > I wonder... This may be interesting...

    Clearly you spend too much time wondering and not enough time thinking.