Re: [Rival] Lackluster Response to Service Pack 1 of Windows Vista - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [Rival] Lackluster Response to Service Pack 1 of Windows Vista - Linux ; On Jan 27, 9:20 am, Roy Schestowitz wrote: > Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 Beta > > ,----[ Quote ] > | Windows lives and dies by its service packs. I can't recall the last initial > | release of any ...

  1. Re: [Rival] Lackluster Response to Service Pack 1 of Windows Vista

    wrote:
    > Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 Beta
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Windows lives and dies by its service packs. I can't recall the last initial
    > | release of any Windows product that didn't have at least some problems.
    > |
    > | [...]
    > |
    > | Still, given that Vista is essentially a rewrite of XP meant to enhance
    > | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > | security (and, of course, media features), I'm not surprised to see Microsoft
    > | take this route for the service pack.
    > `----

    A friend of mine, who is not a technical person at all but just a
    Windows user, says in regard to Vista that new Windows products are
    always like that, you have to give them a year or so to straighten the
    bugs. I take this as a sign of popular attitudes about Microsoft.
    And there's a lot of truth to it. I read somewhere, in regard to the
    Netscape-IE battle, that Microsoft gets it mostly right on the third
    try. Also, during Apple's doldrums in the '90's, Microsoft mostly
    closed the gap in technical quality between Windows and Mac products,
    even if the way they did was to pile kludge on top of kludge. And it
    strikes me that many of the troubles that Vista has now are reparable
    with some degree of slapping spaghetti code on top of spaghetti code.
    That's what they did with XP, and it finally was fairly reasonable for
    many people.

    However, what the citation above omits to say is that one of the main
    (probably *the* main) reason for Vista was DRM. See the article cited
    in
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....326055f7924e3f
    if you want to lose your lunch.

    DRM is also a main cause for the delays in driver support for Vista.
    See the quotes by engineers at ATI in the article above.

    The trolls must not have liked your post. You have two flatfish
    sockpuppets chiming at each other already. This theme that flatfish
    keeps harping on---that you are paid agent for some master force
    behind you---takes the kind of gall that only he could muster.

  2. Re: [Rival] Lackluster Response to Service Pack 1 of Windows Vista

    ____/ nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu on Sunday 27 January 2008 19:48 : \____

    > The trolls must not have liked your post. *You have two flatfish
    > sockpuppets chiming at each other already.

    It's like trying to use two forks to eat icecream instead of using a spoon. I
    didn't see the new nym. I see COLA like [H]omer's stats see it.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Linux: the most popular, but not most widespread
    Mem: 515500k total, 443616k used, 71884k free, 2068k buffers