if bridges were computers .. - Linux

This is a discussion on if bridges were computers .. - Linux ; "Let us start by imagining that a new bridge is being built in your area .. Along comes MegaCorp, who wants to build a bigger bridge, a much bigger bridge than any attempted previously, a MegaBridge" "Time for inspection. But ...

  1. if bridges were computers ..

    "Let us start by imagining that a new bridge is being built in your
    area .. Along comes MegaCorp, who wants to build a bigger bridge, a
    much bigger bridge than any attempted previously, a MegaBridge"

    "Time for inspection. But one problem -- the MegaBridge is so large
    that it is impossible to carry out an inspection in the scheduled
    time"

    'In order to "help" the inspection and despite the obvious conflict of
    interest, MegaCorp .. recruit employees from subsidiaries and
    suppliers to become inspectors as well. In at least one case, MegaCorp
    tells a supplier, newly-minted as an inspector,

    "Don't worry if you know nothing about bridges. We'll tell you what to
    say. All you need to do is say that the bridge is safe. You'll be
    rewarded later for helping us here."'

    What every engineer knows Jan 25 2008
    http://www.robweir.com/blog/2008/01/...eer-knows.html

  2. Re: if bridges were computers ..

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 10:45:05 -0800 (PST), Doug Mentohl wrote:

    > "Let us start by imagining that a new bridge is being built in your
    > area .. Along comes MegaCorp, who wants to build a bigger bridge, a
    > much bigger bridge than any attempted previously, a MegaBridge"
    >
    > "Time for inspection. But one problem -- the MegaBridge is so large
    > that it is impossible to carry out an inspection in the scheduled
    > time"
    >
    > 'In order to "help" the inspection and despite the obvious conflict of
    > interest, MegaCorp .. recruit employees from subsidiaries and
    > suppliers to become inspectors as well. In at least one case, MegaCorp
    > tells a supplier, newly-minted as an inspector,
    >
    > "Don't worry if you know nothing about bridges. We'll tell you what to
    > say. All you need to do is say that the bridge is safe. You'll be
    > rewarded later for helping us here."'
    >
    > What every engineer knows Jan 25 2008
    > http://www.robweir.com/blog/2008/01/...eer-knows.html

    And the Linux bridge comes in a huge box with a picture of a bridge on the
    cover but that is secured with some kind of device that needs a special
    tool to open it.
    Unfortunately the tool is also packed inside the box.

    The bearded masses descend upon the box finally cracking it open at which
    point they realize the bridge is unassembled and in 8 million pieces.

    One of the brighter bearded masses, Stallman I think his name is, finds an
    envelope that has the words "Assembly Instructions" printed on it.

    Ahahaha Stallman says, this will help us a great deal.
    We'll have this baby together in no time.
    (ironic choice of words BTW)

    Stallman opens the envelope and discovers a single sheet of paper which
    reads:

    "Please assemble all parts so that the bridge looks like the picture on the
    cover of the shipping box."

    and THAT is a Linux Bridge...........

  3. Re: if bridges were computers ..

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 20:56:14 +0000, [H]omer wrote:

    > No prizes for guessing that he's speaking analogously about OOXML.
    >
    > Frankly, no analogies are necessary. The corruption in the OOXML
    > standardisation process is painfully transparent.

    You are even starting to sound like Roy Schestowitz these days [Homer].
    Spooky.

    Kind of like the pods in the Body Snatcher movies.

  4. Re: if bridges were computers ..

    Moshe Goldfarb did eloquently scribble:
    > And the Linux bridge comes in a huge box with a picture of a bridge on the
    > cover but that is secured with some kind of device that needs a special
    > tool to open it.
    > Unfortunately the tool is also packed inside the box.

    And what "tool" would that be, Oh wise one?

    > The bearded masses descend upon the box finally cracking it open at which
    > point they realize the bridge is unassembled and in 8 million pieces.

    Hate to break it to you...
    But that tends to be how bridges are built. You don't just plonk a big 1000
    ton span across a gorge, you BUILD it from little bits.

    you're not very good at this analogy stuff are you?
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  5. Re: if bridges were computers ..

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 21:46:20 +0000, spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb did eloquently scribble:
    >> And the Linux bridge comes in a huge box with a picture of a bridge on the
    >> cover but that is secured with some kind of device that needs a special
    >> tool to open it.
    >> Unfortunately the tool is also packed inside the box.

    > And what "tool" would that be, Oh wise one?
    >
    >> The bearded masses descend upon the box finally cracking it open at which
    >> point they realize the bridge is unassembled and in 8 million pieces.

    > Hate to break it to you...
    > But that tends to be how bridges are built. You don't just plonk a big 1000
    > ton span across a gorge, you BUILD it from little bits.
    >
    > you're not very good at this analogy stuff are you?

    Total lack of a sense of humor noted.

  6. Re: if bridges were computers ..

    ____/ [H]omer on Sunday 27 January 2008 20:56 : \____

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Doug Mentohl spake thusly:
    >
    >> "Let us start by imagining that a new bridge is being built in your
    >> area .. Along comes MegaCorp, who wants to build a bigger bridge, a
    >> much bigger bridge than any attempted previously, a MegaBridge"
    >>
    >> "Time for inspection. But one problem -- the MegaBridge is so large
    >> that it is impossible to carry out an inspection in the scheduled
    >> time"

    > No prizes for guessing that he's speaking analogously about OOXML.
    >
    > Frankly, no analogies are necessary. The corruption in the OOXML
    > standardisation process is painfully transparent.

    "We need the brigde NOW," they yell. Or to give a /REAL/ Microsoft quote: "it's
    all just a matter of commercial interests."

    I'm sure there are more briberies on the way and many more past ones that were
    not properly documented.

    Microsoft recently used the Burton Group puppet to hide (as in rewrite history)
    the briberies.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Signature pending approval"
    roy pts/4 cg093a.halls.man Mon Jan 28 02:01 still logged in

  7. Re: if bridges were computers ..

    On 27 Jan, 19:39, gary nutjob flatfish wrote:

    > On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 10:45:05 -0800 (PST), Doug Mentohl wrote:

    >> Along comes MegaCorp, who wants to build a bigger bridge, much bigger bridge than any attempted previously, a MegaBridge"

    > And the Linux bridge comes in a huge box with a picture of a bridge on the cover but ..

    I take it then, that you had no difficulty in seeing that the authors
    position on MegaCorp being analogous with MICROS~1 and his description
    of Redmond bridge innovation being totally valid, we're in agreement
    for once ..

+ Reply to Thread