[News] [Rival] Microsoft Failed to Foil Google Deal - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Microsoft Failed to Foil Google Deal - Linux ; EU Ready To Approve Google, DoubleClick ,----[ Quote ] | Despite privacy and competitive concerns, it appears European regulators will | follow tradition and approve Google's DoubleClick acquisition. `---- http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...le-doubleclick Related: Google's Secret Weapon ,----[ Quote ] | "[Google is] ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Microsoft Failed to Foil Google Deal

    `----

    http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...le-doubleclick

    Related:

    Google's Secret Weapon

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "[Google is] an example of a company that literally couldn't have existed in
    | the same form pre-Linux or pre-open source," says Jim Zemlin, executive
    | director of The Linux Foundation -- the organization that pays Linus Torvalds
    | to work on the Linux kernel. "If they had to rely on Microsoft or Sun, not
    | only would it have been too expensive, they could not have done the
    | modifications necessary to create their services." * *
    |
    | The last point is confirmed by Google's Open Source Programs Manager Chris
    | DiBona, who joined the company in August 2004 to oversee and coordinate its
    | open source activities: "The thing about open source [is], it's kind of like
    | it's yours. Considering that Google does an insane amount of software
    | development, if we had to have some of the restrictions that heavily
    | proprietary would present us, we couldn't develop at the speed that we do." * * *
    `----

    http://redmondmag.com/features/artic...torialsID=2395

    What Android means for Apple, MS, open source, enterprises

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The GPhone never happened, but Android is a much more significant development
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | A better approach, argues Dan Kohn, COO of the Linux Foundation, is to pick
    | one set of standards that IT will support for calendaring, email
    | applications, VPN and so on, and tell users they can use any mobile phone
    | compatible with those standards. *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | What Android means for open source and Linux
    | Linux already has a major presence on mobile phones, but the entrance of
    | Google and the Open Handset Alliance — which has 34 member organisations
    | worldwide — adds to the momentum. *
    |
    | "We're a huge believer in diversity of options on mobile phones," Kohn of the
    | Linux Foundation says. "Linux is already an important, growing presence
    | there. I think having the Google software as an additional open source option
    | is only going to accelerate that adoption." *
    `----

    http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...257394007BE16D

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Failed to Foil Google Deal

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 20:47:59 +0000, [H]omer wrote:

    >> EU Ready To Approve Google, DoubleClick

    > Bye bye, Windows Live!

    Yea...
    Just like the Linux iPod killer that offers 1/2 the storage at twice the
    price.

    Then we have the various Linux based iPhone killers.

    I haven't seen one yet in the wild.

    You Linux kooks are all talk no action.

+ Reply to Thread