[News] [Rival] The Burton Group/Microsoft Mouthpiece Turns Attention to VMWare - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] The Burton Group/Microsoft Mouthpiece Turns Attention to VMWare - Linux ; Virtualization Wars, what can VMware learn from the past? ,----[ Quote ] | You must realize that Novell's wildly successful NetWare product of the late | 1980's and early 1990s was filling a void in the Microsoft eco-system... | | ...

  1. [News] [Rival] The Burton Group/Microsoft Mouthpiece Turns Attention to VMWare

    Virtualization Wars, what can VMware learn from the past?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | You must realize that Novell's wildly successful NetWare product of the late
    | 1980's and early 1990s was filling a void in the Microsoft eco-system...
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | VMware has it in its power to not let history repeat itself, but it's a
    | mighty mountain to climb!...
    `----

    http://dcsblog.burtongroup.com/data_...lizatio-1.html

    FUD piece. They have already attacked Google and ODF on behalf of their buddy,
    Microsoft, whose corruption they tried to conceal too. Here is market buying
    its competition using dirty tricks.

    Microsoft heads into desktop virtualisation market

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Kay added that Microsoft might even be interested in acquiring Citrix.
    | Microsoft and Citrix have a very longstanding partnership, which has seen
    | Citrix make a tidy living out of providing terminal services to remote
    | desktops over its own protocol, ICA. Were this to happen, the combination
    | would present a huge competitor for VMware, although the US$6.4 billion
    | market cap Citrix would be a big mouthful to swallow.
    `----

    http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...S&NewsID=11189

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] The Burton Group/Microsoft Mouthpiece Turns Attention to VMWare

    [H]omer wrote:

    >> http://dcsblog.burtongroup.com/data_...lizatio-1.html

    > Is Richard Jones on drugs? He's presenting this as though Microsoft
    > has already won.
    >
    > The way he /should/ have phrased it, is that Microsoft will
    > undoubtedly use whatever illicit measures they deem necessary to
    > /topple/ VMware from that mountain, in an attempt to monopolise the
    > virtualisation market, just like they attempt to do with everything
    > else.

    He phrased it very well: "The key points are that Microsoft is integrating
    with its desktop monopoly and its other "virtualization" products, such as
    terminal server, to build a broader solution. The "good enough" product
    plus Microsoft's developer community will make this a very difficult beast
    for VMware to deal with."

    > That's the gangsters way, after all.

    The cola/Linux luser's way is to whine about MS because you're far too
    devoid of talent to compete with them.

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] The Burton Group/Microsoft Mouthpiece Turns Attention to VMWare

    ____/ [H]omer on Sunday 27 January 2008 20:35 : \____

    >> Virtualization Wars, what can VMware learn from the past?
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | You must realize that Novell's wildly successful NetWare product of
    >> | the late 1980's and early 1990s was filling a void in the Microsoft
    >> | eco-system...

    > Translation: Netware was successful until Microsoft sabotaged it, just

    ^^^^^^^^^

    That's a strong word. Microsoft has more playful terminology for this.

    "Tilt into a death spiral..." --Brad Silverberg

    "Make them do the delicate dance..." (makes me think of cowboys in the Wild
    West pointing pistols at people's feet) --Joachim Kempin

    Conversely:

    "I'll F*KING BURY that p*ssy..." --Steve Ballmer

    Well, that's stronger than "sabotage", but there you go...

    > like they did with DR-DOS, Netscape, Lotus, and countless others.
    >

    >> | [...]
    >> |
    >> | VMware has it in its power to not let history repeat itself, but
    >> it's a | mighty mountain to climb!...
    >> `----

    http://dcsblog.burtongroup.com/data_...lizatio-1.html

    >> FUD piece.

    > That much is transparently obvious. VMware doesn't have any mountain to
    > climb, it's already on /top/ of that mountain!

    Yes, about 90% market share, IIRC (depends on definitions). The stock have been
    soaring since the IPO.

    > Is Richard Jones on drugs? He's presenting this as though Microsoft has
    > already won.

    Yes. FUD.

    > The way he /should/ have phrased it, is that Microsoft will undoubtedly
    > use whatever illicit measures they deem necessary to /topple/ VMware
    > from that mountain, in an attempt to monopolise the virtualisation
    > market, just like they attempt to do with everything else. That's the
    > gangsters way, after all.

    Yes. That's why I keep saying that there will be an antitrust case involving
    virtualisation. VMWare already talks about it, so Microsoft ought to watch out
    and keep its Capones in the garage.

    > But then by phrasing it like that, he'd be doing the unthinkable ...
    > speaking the truth about Microsoft, rather than spreading FUD to
    > "evangelise" for them.

    Some people will endorse crime or criminals as long as it pays their bills.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Computers are useless. They only solve problems"